Dr. Potter's protocol: can you help !

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
alexm

Dr. Potter's protocol: can you help !

Post by alexm »

Hi everyone,

I have somehow been able to set up a 3T MRI in France and would like to take along a copy of Dr. Potter's NP MRI protocol. Does anyone know where I can find this document?

Keep on keeping on,
Al
I'm 37. Pain started suddenly in 2005 after heavy physical work. Had a two year period without pain between 2007 and 2009. Pain came back 2010 (too much yoga) and I finally got a diagnosis. Too many cortisone shots! No long term relief.I Don’t take many meds as pain rarely goes above 3 or 4. 2mg of valium once or twice a month. Recently diagnosed with bilateral fai and labral tears. Right side hip scope in July 2013...Second left side scope planned for later in the year...
Violet M

Re: Dr. Potter's protocol: can you help !

Post by Violet M »

Al, there is no document that lists Dr. Potter's MRI protocol. Your radiologist would need to contact Dr. Potter to find out what the settings should be for the MRI and how to perform the test. It's my understanding that she will work with other radiologists on the protocol.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
alexm

Post by alexm »

Thanks Voilet, but I live in France and the language barrier would eb too great. Do you think that Dr Potter would give this information to me and, perhaps more importantly, would I be able to understand it? I am not, as you might have gathered, a radiologist.

Bon courage,
Al
I'm 37. Pain started suddenly in 2005 after heavy physical work. Had a two year period without pain between 2007 and 2009. Pain came back 2010 (too much yoga) and I finally got a diagnosis. Too many cortisone shots! No long term relief.I Don’t take many meds as pain rarely goes above 3 or 4. 2mg of valium once or twice a month. Recently diagnosed with bilateral fai and labral tears. Right side hip scope in July 2013...Second left side scope planned for later in the year...
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Alex, I don't know. Maybe you could serve as a translator between her and your doc -- as far as any written communication.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Alex,
I am not familiar with Dr.Potter's protocol. I am more familiar with Dr.Filler's MRN however and it is more than a simple protocol for sure. The MRI used has different coils and the stream sent to them is unique to make the nerves appear on the images. So there is a software component used during the scan itself and after when post processing the images to discriminate the nerves. Again, this is for the MRN but based on it, it is a non-trivial setup task.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
alexm

Post by alexm »

Thanks Ezer,
I shall have to try to call Dr Potter directly. Let's just hope that she will reply.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Alex,
Bonne chance avec votre démarche. Est ce qu'il n'y a pas de technologie équivalente en France ou en Allemagne?
J'imagine que vous connaissez le site et le forum Francais pudendalsite.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Alex, apparently someone in Finland was able to get the protocol. See Shawn's post:
http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =69&t=2490

Ny guess is you can call her office and they can tell you how to go about this. I see a couple of different phone numbers for her -- I'm not sure which would be the correct one to call.

Hollis G. Potter, MD

Chief, Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Professor of Radiology
Weill Medical College of Cornell University

The address is as follows:
Diagnostic Radiology
Hospital for Special Surgery
Magnetic Resonance Imaging
535 East 70th Street
New York NY 10021

Tel: 212.606.1023

Appointment Desk
Tel 212-774-7296
Fax 212-774-7295
alexm

Post by alexm »

Thanks so much Violet. I have tried to get in touch with Shawn to ask a few questions but he has yet to answer my private message.
Best of luck
Al
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Violet M wrote:Alex, apparently someone in Finland was able to get the protocol. See Shawn's post:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2490
Shortly after Shawn made the above referenced post, I contacted a few of the places he sited (Radiology Dept). I was disappointed to learn they had no idea what I was talking about or who "Dr. Hollis Potter" was.
ezer wrote:The MRI used has different coils and the stream sent to them is unique to make the nerves appear on the images. So there is a software component used during the scan itself and after when post processing the images to discriminate the nerves.
This is correct. You can get a 3T MRI almost anywhere. As with Dr. Filler and his MRN, I was under the impression she directly contributed to a software enhancement, which is now the property of HSS. The software, combined with the skill level of the radiologist reading your images is what's most important.
Best wishes,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.

Return to “MRI/MRN”