Burning Feet

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Penny

Burning Feet

Post by Penny »

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if there is a link between PN and burning feet? IF so can anyone explain why?

Look forward to hearing from someone
sam

Re: Burning Feet

Post by sam »

I think it is because of nerve cross talk. In the beginning I had burning feet like sciatica but no it is replaced by pain in the thighs, hip and back.
nyt

Post by nyt »

There are a couple of thoughts why some individuals with PNE develop burning feet.

1) Many of us PN develop piriformis syndrome and the spasming of the piriformis causing sciatica. The sciatica then results in the burning feet.
2) When the nerve signal travels back up the pudendal nerve it of course goes to the sacral spinal roots and for some reason in some people the signal then travels down the sciatic nerve and for the matter other nerves that come off of the spinal roots.
3) Some individuals may develop or have some baseline SIJ dysfunction.

Most dr. think it is due to the piriformis and if you can get the piriformis from spasming the burning feet will settle down.

For me, I do know my feet are better when my piriformis is under good control. Sometimes my butt doesn't even ache butt my feet are so painful they can be almost unbearable but then the Dr. Howard will palpate my butt and find my trigger points even though I think maybe I don't have them anymore.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Thanks for bringing this topic up, Penny! I'm trying to get this issue addressed now, but I've got more than burning going on. Actually, the burning is better after having months of acupuncture treatments. Currently, I'm awaiting a call from my PCP's office for an appointment with a neurologist. My foot pain started in the bottom of the heels only, then began radiating to the distal soles and toes after going back to work. I do have PS, but no sciatic pain going down my legs. The only type of pain I have in my legs are muscle and tendon. These bilateral symptoms started in mid-May:

 Began with the sensation of broken glass imbedded in the plantar (posterior) aspect of heels. Progressed to:
 Severe burning: Somewhat better but still severe at night
 Numb/Desensitized
 Stabbing
 Electric Shocks: Most significant after taking weight off feet
 Tingling: Similar to “Funny Bone Pain”
 Pins & Needles
 Sensation of biting red ants under surface of skin (crawling)
 Sensation of bees buzzing and stinging under surface of skin (vibratory)
 “Wet” sensation at back of calcaneous bone
 Sharp, tingling, clawing, pulling sensation in heel pads when bending/leaning
 Tendon pain: Posterior Tibial?
 Cold weather intensifies stabbing, desensitation, burning
 Symptoms are now radiating to the distal sole and toes
 Percussion of the tarsal tunnel elicits a significant pain response
 Any pressure on the calcaneous bone is intolerable
 Unable to tolerate enclosed footwear of any kind

PCP's impression is (multiple) peripheral nerve damage and has ordered an EMG :( to find out which nerves are involved. I'll gladly share whatever I learn. I could be wrong, but I really don't feel like this is originating from a spinal nerve. Feels more like a pelvic nerve.
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

Hell Karyn, I do hope you get that sorted out. I also hope that an EMG can reveal what is causing the problems :(
Do you have any days when you don't experience these symptoms to get any kind of handle on what may be causing them?? or it as inconsistent as many nerve pain problems can be. UGH! I think I already know the answer to that one.
If the piriformis is not responsible, some kind of peripheral nerve problem in a regional pain syndrome way sounds the only likely 'tag'. Some region! My CRPS (or s' crap!) sometimes runs from between my shoulder blades (just muscular, not spinal) to my toes!! Hooray my arms and head's OK. (actually my knees are fine too :) )
So many people have burning, tingling feet, with me it's the soles of my feet too. Heels always the worst.
What about others does it affect the soles of feet predominantly, I wonder. I think I have just presumed that is so.

I also wanted to say hi (waves) and Welcome :) to Penny. In answer to your post I always thought that the answer was sciatic nerve related and usually because of a piriformis syndrome complication. I get less and less sure of this but it is still the best explanation but only if you have any piriformis muscle problems.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Helen,
helenlegs 11 wrote:Do you have any days when you don't experience these symptoms to get any kind of handle on what may be causing them?? or it as inconsistent as many nerve pain problems can be. UGH! I think I already know the answer to that one.
Well, it's inconsistently consistent. The burning, stabbing, electric shocks, desensitation is 24/7. That sharp clawing/ripping/tearing at the back bottom of my heels is also every day - more dominent and intense at night. Doesn't matter if I bend my knees or not. As a matter of fact, EVERYTHING is more intense starting mid/late afternoon. The only things that come and go are the feeling of insects crawling over and under the calcaneous bone and plantar heel and the "cool, wet" sensation on the back of the calcaneous bone. OMG, Helen - the insect thing really freaks me out!!! With all of the neuropathies I've had/have; I've never experienced anything like that before!!!! These particular symptoms are not 24/7, thankfully, but they ARE every day; occurring periodically, beginning mid/late afternoon.
I did see the Director of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Mass General Hospital in Boston last month. This was based on another PN patients recommendation and I was told "he is the equivalent of Dellon". Come to find out, this guy is not familiar with pelvic nerves at all, nor does he do feet. Needless to say, he had no idea what's wrong with me. Just kept saying, "this shouldn't be bilateral". I'm like, what?!?! WHAT shouldn't be bilateral????
A pain syndrome ... regional, central, or otherwise just doesn't feel right to me. I'm absolutely dreading the EMG, but hope it provides an explanation.
Well, if I survived having those needles jammed in my private parts, I guess I'll live through having it done in my boo-boo feet. ;)
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I have not had an EMG Karyn. Will it matter what sort of state your nerve(s) are in when it is done? If you say have a morning appointment do you think that would have an effect on results at all?
I have all sorts of weird feet things going on and bi lateral BUT definitely worse on my worst side. I only need to walk 3 steps and stop to feel pins and needles prickling the soles of my feet for instance. I only feel it when stopped so could walk 6 steps and feel the same. I have NO bone pain at all however do you think it could be tarsal tunnel syndrome? but then understand the bi lateral enigma??
Any actual 'movement feeling' I have experienced has always been a gradual (piriformis, mainly) small muscular shift, (tightening, slackening) and sometimes feels like it could be fluttering or vibrating. Because I know where this muscle is (obv) I can attribute those feeling to a muscle reaction but I can feel a fluttering other places too but not very often.
No clue if this help at all, I feel for you and hope you can get it sorted out or everything (fingers crossed) just calms down on it's own. It must be making work hellish. Are you any better when not at work?
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

I went for the EMG yesterday. Extremely painful test!!!! :cry:
I have to go back this coming Tuesday for the results and consultation, so I really don't know much at this point in time. I would like to share with you, though, that the neurologist gave me "home work" to do over the week-end. He advised me to research SMALL FIBER NEUROPATHY:
http://www.ccjm.org/content/76/5/297.full
As always, any thoughts or comments are welcome ....
deBBieW

Post by deBBieW »

Karyn-
thank you for sharing that link, I read through it, very interesting - at least your neurologist sounds like he is up on conditions, and willing to research etc.
I too have foot pain, but mine is more top of the foot, and around the top of my ankle bone, feels numby, and cold, and sometimes like there are ice cubes being dropped on top, very strange.
But there are times when the whole foot feels sort of numb, and I need to rub it.
do keep us informed, thank you.
Sorry your emg was so painful, not what anyone needs is more pain, and we are all sick of being poked and prodded.

Debbie
Vag pain, leg burning 3/11, SIJ inj 7/11, Pelvic PT, Chiro/acupuncture,
2-CT pudendal blks 11/2012, did help, less deep vag pain
Potter MRI 04/2012 - Scar tissue/thickening at SS/ST, scar in Alcock canal -bilateral,
Hibner 6/12 suggests Botox (didnt do), 8/12 more pelvic PT w/ dry needling
Gabapentin 1800 mg, Lyrica 200 mg, 5mg valium, vicodin as needed
Trying to get rid of central sensitization burning pain in my legs, Valium seems to be helping
Looking into more mindfulness options. . . . .
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Thanks so much for your kind words, Debbie. I don't quite know how I feel about this diagnosis just yet. A lot of things don't add up.
deBBieW wrote: we are all sick of being poked and prodded.
You've got THAT right, Girlfriend!!!! :D

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”