Acetabular Labral Tears

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Bridget

Acetabular Labral Tears

Post by Bridget »

Hello to all on this new forum.

For those who don't know me I have suffered from PNE and related disorders such as SIJD, Piriformis syndrome and pelvic floor dysfunction since 2003. I had a right sided PNE release performed in Nantes France by Dr, Robert in 2006.

I wanted to let let those who may be unaware that there is a study being conduction on the link between acetabular labral tears and the pudendal nerve at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York. I had a procedure to repair a right sided labral tear and a psoas release 5 weeks ago. I had a 13 year history of right sided hip pain and 8 year history of pelvic pain prior to this procedure. I am still in the recovery phase and will hopefully be able to post of my progress as it occurs. My surgeon, Dr. Struan Coleman is working with an OBGYN and a physical therapist on publishing a study shortly.

Best Regards,
Bridget
Amanda

Re: Acetabular Labral Tears

Post by Amanda »

Hi Bridget

I have often wondered how you were doing after meeting you in Nantes; Im glad to hear from you here.

I hope that this new surgery helps your pain levels, I suppose at 5 weeks post op it is early days.

Would you mind expanding on the actual details of the surgery so that we can all benefit from your experience?
It will be interesting to see the study about this surgery and this doctor's experience, so if you get a chance would you put a link to it here when it is available please?

That baby of yours must be not a baby anymore......give my regards to your husband please.

Best wishes

Amanda
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Hi Bridget,
Thank you for posting, and best wishes for your healing.

I have a right hip that pops constantly each day but no hip pain. If you hear of any patients going through this study whose labral hip tears do not cause hip pain please let us know.

Also, please let us know of your progress. If it helps remove your pudendal pain then that would be quite a finding.

ps- for others, I found this link from the hospital of special surgery going into more detail: http://www.conquestchronicles.com/pages ... l-tear-hip
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
-chronic fatigue & food allergies/migraines (gluten, milk) from pain meds in 08
-want a life back. I'm 34 w/8+ years of pain
A's Mommy

Post by A's Mommy »

Bridget,
Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum. It sounds like a few "oldies" know your story a bit better so I hope you are doing well. I am curious to know if you had any imaging studies with Dr Hollis Potter at HSS since you had surgery there and so many of us have recently gone to NY for a 3T MRI by her.

Best wishes for your healing,
As mommy
Daughter grew completely on left side of pelvis
Multiple uterine surgeries to fix uterine adhesions, septum, and endo
Had all the conservative workups done, 3Tesla (Potter), recovering from L sided TG (Hibner) 11/10, Botox 6/11 failed, bilateral anterior PNE decompression (distal Alcock's/perineal branch), Aszmann, Vienna, 10/11; dx'd with CRPS Type 2, 12/11, Ketamine @ CCF 2/12, doing 75% better PRAISE JESUS!
http://fighting-pne.blogspot.com
http://www.thepelvicmessenger.org
dtroy

Post by dtroy »

Hello - I am new to this site and in 2 weeks I will go in for a labral tear repair. Leading up to this surgery I have been diagnosed with pudendal neuralgia, chronic prostatitis and SI Joint Dysfunction - none of these diagnoses were based on pathology or clinical findings, just my symptoms. I have consistently had pain when sitting, ischial tuberosity pain, genital and pernineal pain. My hip surgeon concluded that he believes a labral tear can produce multiple pain referral patterns especially because your pelvic is unstable - the result is a pelvic floor that is under strain, si-joints under strain and pressure on nerves in that area.

The purpose for my post. I believe that labral hip tears are the undiagnosed source/cause of many pelvic pain conditions. How can I be of service in your research.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Best of luck with your surgery. Probably the best way you can be of service is to come back and post how it works out for you. We've had others on the PN forum mention that a labral tear was the possible cause of their pain but except for Bridget, I don't recall ever hearing back from someone who had it repaired so I would love to hear how things go for you.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
dtroy

Post by dtroy »

I'm newer to this site - i've had PNE symptoms for 3 years, but have a labral tear and have done tons of research on the pain symptoms of labral tears. I guess if the tear is in the right spot, it can cause significant referred pain into your genitals, pain when sitting and burning in the perineum. All that said there are cases in NY (Dr. Coakley) where her practice has had multiple men and women treated for Labral tears who were misdiagnosed with Prostatitis, Vulvadynia and PNE - only to have all those symptoms fade after the labral tear was repaired. I'm also friends with a woman who owns a PT practice who has seen men with labral tears who have PNE symptoms. There is no coincidence here - get your labral tear fixed before you have PNE surgery (my opinion).
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Bridget,
How are you doing now? Have you had surgery yet? Improvements? I found out I have a labral tear and want to know if repairing the labrum fixes the PN pain.
-straddle fall age 4-7 w/bleeding labia, tampons hurt in teens, papsmere started annoying pelvic 'tingling' & pne in 02
-obturator surgery w/ Filler in 05 (useless, created sciatic & plantar fascitis pain)
-TIR surgery w/ Bautrant in 08 and vestibulectomy in 08 in France (vest. removed pain w/intercourse, pain w/sitting increased post surgery)
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Pianogal,

Have you heard from Bridget? My PT suspects I have a labral tear, too. Do you have any information about this condition that you could post here? The link posted above was very useful.

Thanks.

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
pianogal

Post by pianogal »

Lernica, I haven't heard anything from Bridget. But here's what I've learned:
Having a 3Tesla Mri of your hips only (different from the pelvic one and can be done anywhere) is as good as having the other hip test with contrast dye at showing a problem.

I talked on the phone with Stacey Futterman at Beyond Basics PT in NY and she is studying the most about the connection. She said I need to get an injection of steroid into my hip. If it cuts out my pain that's a good sign. Or, have my PT work rectally on my obturator muscle. If the obturator muscle relaxes thus revealing hip pain, that's a good sign. So far, the hip injection did not numb my pain, and my obturator hasn't calmed down. My hip doesn't hurt yet. So I am not sure what the next step is. Also, Stacey said she's sent 30 people to the labral repairs but that she is sending less and being more diagnostic about it lately (if I read between the lines of what she said).

Hope this helps.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”