Dott.Marc Possover says: No Pudendal Neuralgia

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Gabriel81

Dott.Marc Possover says: No Pudendal Neuralgia

Post by Gabriel81 »

Hello, my entire history is in Welcome center, it is entitled "Pudendal neuralgia from 12 years".
Today I was in Zurich for a visit with Prof. Mark Possover. He is sure that I haven't Pudendal Neuralgia!

These are the summary of this experience:

Clinical examination:
- Abdomen, inguinal and renal areas inconspicious
- Renal-Sonografy: Incospicious
- Neurological examination: no senso-motoric dysfunction of the lumbosacral nerves. Cremaster reflex normal.
Achilles/Patellar reflex normal. No troubles of motion de lower limb. anal sfincter tonus normal.
- Rectal examination: no pain at allby the palpation of the PN at the Alcock's canal; also no pain induced by the palpation of the sacral nerves root.
- Ultrasonic testing: Postmicturition, residual from about 30ml. No pre- or laterosacral varicosis veins.
- Urodynamic mit Urethraprofil & pelvic-floor-EMG: Bladder normosensitive, normotone, normoactive.

Recommendation:
I exclude a pathology as well of the pudendal nerve as of the pelvic sacral nerves. So I do not see any indication either for a neurolysis of the PN, or for a laparoscopic exploration/decompression of the sacral plexus. Also pulsed radiofrequency therapy makes no sense.
Therefore, the pain is produce more centrally. Because the pain disappears over the night, and reappears over the day, I should advice a neuroMRI of the conus medullaris to exclude a spinalcanal stenosis at this level, but also to exclude a vascular spinal malformation (fistula, aneurism) -> Prof.Dr. Vito Chiantera/Palermo.
As a first line treatment, I should advice Xatral.
2004 Urethral burnings, chronic prostatitis diagnosis, unuseful drugs. Lately added chronic pelvic contracture.
2011 Pudendal Neuralgia diagnosis, nerve blocks and oral drugs.
2013 Two neuromodulation surgeries.
2016 Possover negate Pudendal Neuralgia (no pain elicited on rectal exploration), says problem is more central but MRI- neurography show nothing.
2017 De Bisshop found Oedema/hyperpressure and neurological abnormal response on intrapiriform area, most on sx.
Failed injection blocks.
Violet M

Re: Dott.Marc Possover says: No Pudendal Neuralgia

Post by Violet M »

Gabriel, I'm not sure whether this is a disappointment to you or if you are relieved. You have certainly suffered for too long. I wonder why they mention the Alcock's canal but say nothing about the ischial spine. The ischial spine is one of the most common points of entrapment and was where my worst pain was on palpation via the pelvic floor. I wonder if they palpated there. Are you going to have the neuroMRI of the conus medullaris?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Gabriel81

Post by Gabriel81 »

I don't know about ischial spine, I can ask him via mail... Yes I 'm planning to do conus medullaris neuroMRI.

I am very relieved even though I've already been at other times in the past and then to suffer disappointments...
2004 Urethral burnings, chronic prostatitis diagnosis, unuseful drugs. Lately added chronic pelvic contracture.
2016 Possover negate Pudendal Neuralgia (no pain elicited on rectal exploration), says problem is more central but MRI- neurography show nothing.
2017 De Bisshop found Oedema/hyperpressure and neurological abnormal response on intrapiriform area, most on sx.
Failed injection blocks.
Gabriel81

Post by Gabriel81 »

The RM-neurography doesn't show anything abnormal in medullary cone, I copy the report (traduction form italian):

"MR imaging of the lumbosacral spine showed the presence of a small median subligamentous disc herniation at L5-S1, causing obliteration of the anterior epidural fat, but without an overall effect on S1 roots.
The roots of the cauda equine appear regular in course and caliber. No signal alterations of the medullary cone.
Intraspongious hernia in the upper somatic plate of D11. Another small intraspongious hernia in the upper somatic plate of D9.
The study of the lumbosacral plexus, performed using the MRI Neurography technique did not show any abnormalities in the size and signal intensity of the lumbar and sacral roots.
There is no evidence of expansive intrapelvic injuries.
The femoral nerve in the intrapelvic seat and the sciatic nerves, explored starting from great sciatic foramen to the roots of the thighs, appears normal.
The internal piriformis obturator muscles are bilaterally normal in size.
Not alterations in the signal of the large muscles and middle left buttock. The bilateral internal piriformis obturator muscles are normal thickness. The ischial spines are normal in morphology and size. The profile and thickness of the sacred-spinous and sacred tuberous ligaments are regular.
The images of MRI Neurography show a slight asymmetry in the size of the pudendal nerve vascular bundle, from right> left near the Alcok canal, probably part of the anatomical variability.

CONCLUSIONS: No pathological aspects relating to the medullary cone and the lumbosacral plexus. No signs of entrapment of the pudendal nerve, except for a slight asymmetry of the size of the pudendal neurovascular (right > left), that could be due to anatomical variability."

I am very tired and depressed.

Possover can't help me, he said (via mail) that we could do a laparoscopic investigation but he not recommend it.

I want try to deepen the L5-S1 problem as I thought to do a few months ago (I posted about the relative De Bisshop study), perhaps "obliteration of the anterior epidural fat" may be a spinal canal compression sign.
I contacted Rajeshree Nundall de Bisschop via email and after explaining the case she told me that the only way to find nerve entrapment is the investigation with "staged sacral réflexes and specific pelvic ultrasounds" because there are many possible locations. I have seen that In the specific article is also mentioned the L5-S1 location.
Now I'm tryng to fix an appointment in Aubagne clinic...
Failed injection blocks.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Gabriel,

I'm very sorry to hear Dr. Possover cannot help you. I'm sure this is a huge disappointment and I can understand why you are tired and depressed. I don't know anything about your history/symptoms but I think it makes sense for you to continue searching for answers through other physicians until you find one who can help you. It is exhausting though. Please keep fighting and searching for answers. If you have central pain maybe you want to consider reading Ezer's posts on this forum about the mindbody connection. If that doesn't match your situation, maybe you could try ketamine infusions.

Take care,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
flyer28

Post by flyer28 »

Gabriel I also think that it is rather kind of general pelvic myoneuropathy in your case, I am struggling more than 6 years with similar problems. Pain is probably a summary from several nerves, although pudendal nerve might play a prominent role in this havoc. I was also almost sure that I have PNE /pain in groin, scrotum, penis etc./, but block didnt delivered any change in pain pattern and I did not have any Tinel sign when pudendal nerve was palpated. My problems started as post-ejaculation pain, never immediately but day or two later...almost 15 months my pain were on and off before chronification. I think that the initial strain was muscular, inflicted by clenching/edging during climax, but then the cascade of neuropathic processes started so now we are struggling with psychomusculoneurological condition, which is hard to beat. I had substantial relief from PT, but am not cured. Operation is out of question because I dont believe that there is one place where the nerve is severed/damaged. Your case seems to be similar.
summer 2009 - episodic post ejaculatory pain,
early 2010- major flare-up, chronification
february 2011 - ESCW wave. major flare-up, lasting 5 months
february 2012 - diagnosed CPPS with irritation of pudendal nerve, hypog. plexus block
june 2012 - dorsal nerve block, no relief
2013 - starting PT with moderate results
2014-2017 better periods interchanging with heavy flare ups
2018 first long remission (several months)
2019-2023 most of the time almost assymptomatic with cca 2 flare ups yearly
Gabriel81

Post by Gabriel81 »

Flyer28, what kind of diagnostic exams have you done and where?
In my area there aren't specialized physical therapists, I made some attempts in the past spending money and travelling but I never believe very much in PT and then its hard to be constant in home exercises if you are depressed and don't believe in it...
Failed injection blocks.
flyer28

Post by flyer28 »

Hallo gabriel, sorry for late reply.
Diagnostic tests>
1. 3Tesla MRI - according to dr. Aszmann in Vienna, there are some fibrotic thickening in right dorsal canal (my right side is worse) they might or might be not the underlying reason.
2. Palpation on the course of pudendal nerve - no Tinel sign anywhere
3. Distal pudendal nerve block under ultrasound control - no change in sensation pattern.
4. Digital rectal examination - many times, pelvic floor full of trigger points.
I am sure that I have some kind of pudendal neuropathy (because my chronic pain in groin, penis, scrotum, perineum is rather neuropathic in character), but not sure about entrapment (no place with higher sensitivity along pudendal nerve). After 2 or 3 rather good months when I was able functoning with rather low pain levels, since 3 weeks I am struggling again. Yesterday I had PT session, on 24.4. I am scheduled for Dry Needling and another PT work-up and hesitating whether I will try another block before summer.
summer 2009 - episodic post ejaculatory pain,
early 2010- major flare-up, chronification
february 2011 - ESCW wave. major flare-up, lasting 5 months
february 2012 - diagnosed CPPS with irritation of pudendal nerve, hypog. plexus block
june 2012 - dorsal nerve block, no relief
2013 - starting PT with moderate results
2014-2017 better periods interchanging with heavy flare ups
2018 first long remission (several months)
2019-2023 most of the time almost assymptomatic with cca 2 flare ups yearly

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”