Histamine Intolerance and Pain

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
nyt

Histamine Intolerance and Pain

Post by nyt »

Last year I started going to "The Functional Medicine Center" at the Cleveland Clinic. They made a few modifications to my diet as I had been following an autoimmune paleo diet for almost 2 years prior to my visit there. I can honestly say that diet never made any difference in my pain or symptoms of my Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. However, at my last visit the doctor suggested I try a low histamine diet since histamine can increase pain levels.

I'm very much in the baby stages of learning about histamine intolerance. There are variations in the lists for foods high in histamine or histamine releasing foods, it seems to be very individualized with what foods someone with histamine intolerance can eat, and several causes/reasons why someone might react to histamine foods.

I can honestly say with some trial and error that I have some high histamine foods that absolutely make my CRPS symptoms worse. For example, I make my own bone broth which is a high histamine food and have recently figured out that it is a huge trigger that not only makes my pain worse but other symptoms.

So, if you have been trying different kinds of diets without any success like me, you might want to learn about histamine intolerance, eliminate the most common high histamine foods and see if it makes any difference.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Violet M

Re: Histamine Intolerance and Pain

Post by Violet M »

That's interesting. I don't remember ever hearing of a low histamine diet before but I expect it might be worth it to try for other pains besides PN too. I wish chocolate wasn't on the list of high histamine foods though. :)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”