Questions about Dr Dellon in Baltimore, MD.

Here is information about Doctors in the USA who diagnose and treat Pudendal Neuralgia through many methods.
Robyn

Questions about Dr Dellon in Baltimore, MD.

Post by Robyn »

Hello all,

I know I have seen Dr Dellon in Baltimore, Md. mentioned several times in various threads, but since I did not see him listed in the "USA Doctors" section, I have started a new topic.

I have seen that several of you have had an ongoing email conversation with him.

Has anyone ever heard of Dr. Dellon doing PN Decompression Surgery?

Does anyone know if he cuts either the sacrotuberous or sacrospinous ligaments?

Wishing Everyone a Good Day,
Robyn
VA-USA-6/03 Horseback Accident-Broke Pelvis at Pubic Ramis-Left
By 12/03 had ALL signs of PNE. HORRIBLE BURNING when sitting
24 doctors & image studies found nothing over 7 yrs
Found this site 10/10 At last I had HOPE
PN Block 9/10 ALL areas of burning numb for 24 HRS
2 more blocks-no lasting relief, but numbed all "burning" areas
Pulsed Radio Frequency 01/11 did nothing
Surgery 3/3/11 Dr Dellon Balto, MD - Greatly reduced pain right away. Currrently in post-op healing phase.
Pelvis Stressly

Re: Questions about Dr Dellon in Baltimore, MD.

Post by Pelvis Stressly »

Hi Robyn,

Dr. Dellon does a 'subtype' of the PN decompression surgery that he helped develop. He specifically targets any compression that might be happening at the level of the dorsal branch of the pudendal nerve (which presents w. its own distinct set of symptoms...usually penile/clitoral numbness &/or pain). This doesn't require him to sever either of the ligaments you mentioned as where he's operating is further down the course of the nerve from there (the dorsal nerve typically branches off from the the main trunk of the pud. nerve after it comes out of Alcock's Canal).

I realize it's a looong thread, but you can find all of the info you'll ever need about Dr. Dellon & his procedure here... http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... f=17&t=448 (specific mention of Dellon starts at around p. 3).

Hope that answers your questions,
PS.
MsRivers

Post by MsRivers »

Is the reason he's not listed in the USA doctor list because he does the subtype of surgery mentioned in the previous post? How does one determine if it's the dorsal nerve causing the pain/numbness/or burning? Does this nerve cause rectal burning?
PN pain post laproscopic vaginal hysterectomy. MRN diagnosed me with piriformis, sciatica, and pudendal syndromes.
Pelvis Stressly

MsRivers...believe the reason he's not listed yet is just because he's relatively new on the scene (I'm sure that will be remedied shortly).

And since I made my earlier post, we've learned that, in addition to the procedure I mentioned, Dr. Dellon will also perform decompression surgeries at the more 'classic' PNE sites when/if necessary. Robyn can probably tell you more, as she recently had surgery w. him.

And to answer your last question (as best I can at least), the specific symptoms I described in my last post are more indicative of involvement of the dorsal branch (not so much rectal burning). Hope that helps, PS.
Robyn

Post by Robyn »

MsRivers,
Pelvis Stressly wrote:MsRivers...believe the reason he's not listed yet is just because he's relatively new on the scene (I'm sure that will be remedied shortly).
Pelvis Stressly said it well as to why Dr Dellon is not listed yet under this sites PN Doctors.

BTW, let me take this opportunity to publically thank "Pelvis Stressly" for taking the time to not only answer this original subjects question for me, but also pointing me to the approx. page I could start finding the discussion/infor regarding Dr Dellon. "Thank you".
Pelvis Stressly wrote:And since I made my earlier post, we've learned that, in addition to the procedure I mentioned, Dr. Dellon will also perform decompression surgeries at the more 'classic' PNE sites when/if necessary. Robyn can probably tell you more, as she recently had surgery w. him.
Pelvis Stressly's above info is also correct and let me add just a little. Dr Dellon is a world reknown Neuro-Surgeon. When he takes on our surgical case, he will use his many years of clinical expierence to correct whatever pathology he finds, where ever he finds it. If he has limitations, he will tell you. He has made himself very fimilar with the pundendal nerve and the problems assiociated with it. He has looked at the way other doctors are surgically treating it, and is not in agreement with those ways. He has established his surgical approaches which are dicated by our areas and type of pain. Only time will give us satistics on his sucess and failure rates.
MsRivers wrote:How does one determine if it's the dorsal nerve causing the pain/numbness/or burning? Does this nerve cause rectal burning?
The great thing for me was "I didn't have to determine" which nerve. Once I had done my PN research, then found and choose Dr Dellon, I felt a large weight lift from my shoulders. I felt like I had finally found a doctor who was knowledge & capibile of helping me and I trusted him.

Robyn
VA-USA-6/03 Horseback Accident-Broke Pelvis at Pubic Ramis-Left
By 12/03 had ALL signs of PNE. HORRIBLE BURNING when sitting
24 doctors & image studies found nothing over 7 yrs
Found this site 10/10 At last I had HOPE
PN Block 9/10 ALL areas of burning numb for 24 HRS
2 more blocks-no lasting relief, but numbed all "burning" areas
Pulsed Radio Frequency 01/11 did nothing
Surgery 3/3/11 Dr Dellon Balto, MD - Greatly reduced pain right away. Currrently in post-op healing phase.
AliPasha1

Post by AliPasha1 »

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Please also make sure to add that he has no association with any of the Insurance companies in the US and one should be ready to pay huge amounts of cash to him upfront before the surgery.If you don't have cash,his office encourages patients to borrow money from your parents,friends,a bank, or take a second mortgage etc.A majority of us won't be able to afford him until he starts taking insurance and it would be ethical in my opinion for him to take insurance.This isn't some plastic surery like breast enhancement or a nose job.

He need to play according to the normal insurance rules rather than his own rules if he really wants to help humanity which is the most important part of a doctor's profession.

Patients should also expect that there aren't going to get much from reimbursement from the insurance companies ,when they file for reimbursement because his surgical prices are quite inflatted.

He isn't a compassionate doctor like Dr. Hibner or Dr. Conway for that matter who will go out of the way to help you.

I believe that a patient's health should be the main concern of a doctor especially when so many of us have lost our life styles, are in horrendous pain and are getting meagre Social Security disability checks to survive on a daily basis.

I sincerely hope that he changes his mind and start taking inurance in order to help mankind.

Regards,
Ali
Last edited by AliPasha1 on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

Hi Ali,
Thank you for posting this information. I think it's very important for potential Dellon patients to understand what they'll be paying out of pocket to be treated by him.
Warm regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Ali, in Dr. Dellon's defense, he may have very good reasons for not taking insurance because often the reimbursement is not too great. If he is performing "out of the box" surgeries such as the dorsal nerve surgery his malpractice insurance rates could be through the roof. So maybe it is best not to jump to conclusions about his motives and to appreciate the fact that he is willing to try new things. But I can understand how this makes it difficult for patients who really need the surgery. Maybe we should question the motives of the trial lawyers instead?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

Not taking insurance is a business decision that any doctor can choose to take. So many PN providers don't--Weiss, Filler, PTs...it's their choice. Calling it unethical is not correct; nothing in the Hippocratic Oath requires doctors to take it. It would be interesting to see how many of us, if we followed through with medical school and the years of study necessary to become a neurosurgeon (and the massive expense required), would want to settle for increasingly low reimbursement from insurance.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
Pelvis Stressly

Robyn wrote:BTW, let me take this opportunity to publically thank "Pelvis Stressly" for taking the time to not only answer this original subjects question for me, but also pointing me to the approx. page I could start finding the discussion/infor regarding Dr Dellon. "Thank you".
My pleasure Robyn...really glad your experience w. Dellon seems to have been such a positive one! Wishing you continued success in your recovery,
PS.

Return to “USA”