Anyone tried ganglion impar block for hyperarousal?

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Violet M

Anyone tried ganglion impar block for hyperarousal?

Post by Violet M »

Someone asked me if anyone has benefited from ganglion impar blocks for hyperarousal/clitoral engorgement. Anyone have any experience with that?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
HerMajesty

Re: Anyone tried ganglion impar block for hyperarousal?

Post by HerMajesty »

I had one but not for those symptoms, but this is what the Doc advised me before hand and he appears to have been 100% correct:
1. The block tells you that you autonomic nervous system is involved in your symptoms, which is pretty much a given anyhow. It does not offer any really useful diagnostic information.
2. Positive effects of the block last a week or two. I wanted the block because during my office visit with Dr. Filler he seemed to suggest that getting one might "calm things down", which I took to mean that my symptoms might not increase back up to baseline. My local Doc was willing to try but had his doubts. Sure enough, the block gave me a nice week or two (reduced, not elimated symptoms), then I was right back up to baseline. With no new diagnostic info from the experience.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
KC17

Re: Anyone tried ganglion impar block for hyperarousal?

Post by KC17 »

I briefly had hyperarousal when my symptoms first began. It then turned into a more gnawing raw pain in my clitoris which I still have to date. I did try a ganglion impar block to address the clitoral aspect of the pain and got no relief. In fact it was the one area down there that did not get numb; however I was told it should have gotten numb, so who knows?

Definitely worth a shot though, because it is a very simple procedure and the side effects I got only included increased vaginal pain for about a week.
Pain started suddenly April 2010.
3T MRI w/ Dr. Potter, January 2011 shows bilateral impingement of the dorsal nerve of the clitoris.

Unsure what to do next because my pelvis is a mess.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”