Tailbone Pain

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
helenlegs 11

Re: Tailbone Pain

Post by helenlegs 11 »

That's wonderful Kate,
It shows how important physio or should I say good physio is post surgery. Good news.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
RJR

Post by RJR »

Kate,
So glad to hear your good news...may it continue!
RR
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
donstore

Post by donstore »

RJR.
Sounds like you are making progress. As I recall, that is about 31/2 hours better than you were getting away with before the surgery. Hang in there

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
chloe

Post by chloe »

Kate,

I also experienced tailbone pain after surgery - not immediately after, maybe a year after?? My PT also showed me via internal work how all the PF muscles attach to the tailbone/coccyx area. If your PF is in spasm it can actually cause your coccyx to come out of alignment. I had several coccyx adjustments by another PT (externally) and would not recommend it...it flared things up for me. The first adjustment was great though, it was the subsequent adjustments that started flaring me. As far as the tailbone/lower sacrum pain, internal work and ART (active release physical therapy) helped tremendously....it does tend to go away once the PF has calmed down.

Besides ART, I also underwent a year of internal trigger point injections with lidocaine/marcaine and once in awhile steroids were added. These trigger point injections into my OI finally got the OI to stop spasming - even post op my muscle was not happy!! But, I was not in so much pain that I could not sit all day at work. My full recovery took a long time (I have discovered i just don't heal normally or quickly....based on a recent extensive sinus surgery I had). Some people just heal differently - no two people will ever heal the same. Hang in there!! With proper PT/internal trigger point release and possibly pelvis adjustments (I have SIJD before and after surgery) you should be feeling better soon. I wish you all the best. Don't let this discourage you!! :D

Take good care.

Chloe
Aug-06: PNE as a result of 15+ years of weightlifting (32 years of age)
Apr 07: Evaluation/PNMLT in Houston
Aug 07: Surgery with Dr. Hibner -- I was his 20th patient (approx).
I consider myself to be 90 - 95 % improved. The only thing I can no longer do is exercise strenuously - that is OK with me!! :)
I can walk for exercise, hike, and use the elliptical -- all very carefully of course.
TinyDancer

Post by TinyDancer »

Chloe,

Thank you for all your suggestions. Fortunatly, if it doesn't hurt, my PT doesn't try to fix it. What I mean is that at my next visit, she'll ask me if my tailbone hurts and if it doesn't, she won't touch it.

Kate
Surgery with Dr. Micheal Hibner March 14, 2011
Am 85% better in only 5 months and so grateful to Dr. Hibner
THIS FORUM ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS!!!
My thanks to all of you.

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”