Castor Oil

Accupuncture, Reiki, Cognitive Behavourial Therapy, Prolotheraphy, Radio Frequency, Hypnotherapy, Osteopathy and many more.
skyblue

Castor Oil

Post by skyblue »

Hi,

I've been trying Castor Oil recently, particularly for the purposes of relaxing my buttock and pelvic muscles. It seems to work really well. I'm slowly coming round to the idea that "maybe" the muscles are the problem, and the pudendal nerve is really just trying to cope with the muscles as they basically strangle it...

Castor Oil is apparently a very good muscles relaxant, and moreover is extremely absorbent.

Anyone else tried this with any success?
Pain started Aug 2008 after prolonged sitting.
Referal to Dr Natasha Curran Nov 2008.
First Nerve Block Jan 2009.
Second Nerve Block Feb 2009.
Physiotherapy Feb 2009.
Started practicing sitting four times a day with the amount being increased by 10% each week:-
Feb 2009: 5 seconds x 4
Nov 2009: 1 minute x 4
Dec 2010: 1 hour x 4
July 2011: 3 hours x 4 (cured)
Had relapse in March 2012.
Sitting normally again October 2013. No pudendal pain, but some lingering muscle tightness.
Dave

Re: Castor Oil

Post by Dave »

Interesting.   Never heard that before.  Where did you learn that castor oil is a muscle relaxant?  Is there a link you can give us so we can read about it?

Do you use it orally or topically? If topically, where exactly do you apply it? If orally, do you find its laxative effect beneficial?
skyblue

Post by skyblue »

Hi Dave,

I don't have any specific links but I'd imagine just doing a Google search for "castor oil muscle relaxant" should fire up some results.

Castor Oil is a pretty infamous laxative used since the olden times.....and taken orally can, literally, flush out everything. Personally I don't and wouldn't use it as a laxative though, and in any case I don't really need to do that.

It is however, also an amazing anti-inflammatory massage oil, and for my purposes I apply it topically after a hot shower to the buttock, rectum and upper thigh, and gently massage it in to the whole pelvic area, particularly around the piriformis muscle.

Castor Oil works best when gently heated, but I don't bother with heat packs. Here's a handy trick: Get a convection heater from any department store. They're really very cheap. I'm talking about the ones with the ventilation grill at the top, like this:-

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/currys-ess ... fAodRzDUiw

Then having showered (and of course fully dried yourself), and after having applied the castor oil, simply stand above the convection heater (naked) with your legs either side of it, and gently massage the buttocks and thighs and any other appropriate areas. It's quite amazing. It's WAY better than heat packs because there is so much more heat over such a wider area. It's literally like bathing in nice warm heat...and with the castor oil thrown in too.....well the muscles and nerves simply love it.

Of course you might look a bit silly standing over a heater massaging yourself - just don't do it when there's other people about! And obviously be careful with an electric heater - make sure you're dry before you stand over it as you don't want drops of water falling in and touching the heating element!! :geek:
Pain started Aug 2008 after prolonged sitting.
Referal to Dr Natasha Curran Nov 2008.
First Nerve Block Jan 2009.
Second Nerve Block Feb 2009.
Physiotherapy Feb 2009.
Started practicing sitting four times a day with the amount being increased by 10% each week:-
Feb 2009: 5 seconds x 4
Nov 2009: 1 minute x 4
Dec 2010: 1 hour x 4
July 2011: 3 hours x 4 (cured)
Had relapse in March 2012.
Sitting normally again October 2013. No pudendal pain, but some lingering muscle tightness.
healinfeelin

Post by healinfeelin »

Hi there

Is it just any old caster oil. Can you put it on the privates?

: )
JODDY47

Post by JODDY47 »

I'm going try this and see if it helps. Thanks skyblue.
Buttercup28

Post by Buttercup28 »

Hi,

How do you apply the castor oil? Do you just massage it on like lotion and leave it or do you need to sit on a heating pack after applying it? I know that all of the uses of castor oil for pain have been normally used as a "castor oil pack". So curious to know your steps for application?

Thanks in advance!
Sudden pelvic pain onset that landed me in the ER 2x -- diagnosed with severe pelvic floor dysfunction and suspected IC. Diagnosed with pudendal neuralgia via MRI and EMG and hip impingement/labral tear on CTscan. Ran the gamut with tests, treatments, procedures, injections, drugs, etc. since then. Still on the quest for answers....
Amy01

Post by Amy01 »

Great to know its working for you, is that a specific brand or version you are pointing out...

Return to “OTHER THERAPIES”