Biofeedback - any advice or experience?

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
White Falcon

Biofeedback - any advice or experience?

Post by White Falcon »

I am considering biofeedback with a PT. My concern is the sticky pads and hair in the area. What do you do about that?! I don't need any more pain! Anyone have any advice or experience with this? Thanks!
Provoked pain with intercourse 1980-2008
Intermittent flare-up beg. March 2008
Constant pain since Sept. 2009
CT guided nerve block Apr 2010 (made pain much worse)
Hysterectomy July 2010
Other issues: fibromyalgia, migraines, Lyme, gastritis, MCS
JeanieC

Re: Biofeedback - any advice or experience?

Post by JeanieC »

White Falcon,

The biofeedback that I had done for pelvic muscle dysfunction was done with a vaginal probe, or a rectal probe could be used.
One therapist did use a sticky pad on my abdominal muscles, but you don't have to worry about sticky pads being placed on hair!
Diagnosed with left side PN by Dr Renney, March 2010, after over 2 years of searching for help
Left TG Surgery, Dr Ansell, August 2010, failed to relieve pain
nyt

Post by nyt »

Word of caution about biofeedback. If you have hypercontracted and shorted pelvic floor muscles you DO NOT want to do contractions as you will make matters worse. However, if you have weak non-hypercontracted muscles then doing contractions is fine. If you have hypercontracted, shortened muscles the PT may want you to do a few contractions just to see what the contractions look like and how quickly you relax but other than that don't do contractions. You can use biofeedback with hypercontracted and shortened pelvic floor muscles by just practicing to relax them. Your baseline would be higher than normal and may look like a city landscape instead of nice and smooth. What you would do is practice deep breathing to bring your base line down to a lower level and to smooth out the city landscape appearance to a flat line. They might have you do what is called a "reverse Kegel". You breathe out slowly while gentle relaxing the pelvic floor with a little pushing sensation. Like when you are passing gas and want to be quiet about it because you are in the grocery store :lol: .

The link below gives some good information on hypertonic pelvic floor and how to do reverse kegel.

http://www.prematurej.com/reverse-kegel-exercise
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

From an article I read recently nyt's word of caution makes perfect sense. Here it is http://www.pelvicpainrehab.com/blog/201 ... and-e-stim
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
White Falcon

Post by White Falcon »

Thanks for your responses.

JeanieC - the PT is spoke with said that she places sticky pads on either side of the perineum. She mentioned the probe, but I think she said that it's no longer being made - but I might be remembering that wrong.

NYT & Helenlegs- great articles - thanks.

After having such constant pain and inactivity for 3 years now, I don't know what's going on with my muscles down there. I really can't tell if I'm tightening or contracting. It's bizarre. Luckily, I'm not incontinent. From the articles, I think I am so hypertonic that I can't relax at all, because I have pain, but not incontinence. I have read books on PT for pelvic pain (ie, Amy Stein's, etc), but the main exercise they recommend (pelvic drop or reverse kegel or letting go), I can't seem to do.

And with the potential for any course of action to make things worse, it's really hard to know what to do next....
Provoked pain with intercourse 1980-2008
Intermittent flare-up beg. March 2008
Constant pain since Sept. 2009
CT guided nerve block Apr 2010 (made pain much worse)
Hysterectomy July 2010
Other issues: fibromyalgia, migraines, Lyme, gastritis, MCS

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”