Biofeedback

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
TCB

Biofeedback

Post by TCB »

Biofeedback can help. I was introduced to biofeedback 30 years ago when the equipment was very expensive and cumbersome. My teacher was a master at it and taught me many things about life, breathing, positive thinking and concentration on heart rate and rhythm. He is a quadriplegic and very good at what he does. I was seeing the nice folks at UCSF pain management in 2007 and the psychologist there said you need to consider biofeedback along with a a stimulator trial followed by pump trial. This got me thinking and I went looking for some equipment and discovered the em Wave unit by HeartMath. It connects to your PC or lap top and gives you a live graphic and audio of your progress. It can also be used as a portable device for those who prefer the sound and light outputs only. It took me some time to get good at the lowest level but when I did master the technique I was amazed how well it could ease my out of control neuropathic pain cycle. There is an article by Heart Maths founder Doc Childre on Prevention Magazine's blog (date 12/14/12) entitled " 5 Ways to Transform Your Stress Response". The unit was not cheap and may not be for everyone but if it helps one more person ease any of the symptoms of PN or PNE it's well worth this effort. Contact info for HeartMath is 831-338-8745. tom@heartmath.com.

"Were All In This Together" and we have to tell others about how we cope!

TCB
janetm2

Re: Biofeedback

Post by janetm2 »

Thank you for posting this information, especially about how much it helped you. I am trying to get the emwave working we just cannot seem to get the software to "see" or connect with the hand held device. Your post gives me the push to try again, my psychologist spoke with someone at the company and gave me that person's name and once I get the equipment back we will give it another try. It was the initial reason I went to the psychologist but at least I got with him and he is now helping me cope with my brother's death and maybe we can break the flare I have had since then. Looking forward to heartmath's emwave.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
TCB

Post by TCB »

Glad you are trying again. The folks at eMwave will help you get the equipment set up on your PC. Once you are set up try breathing in 4 seconds then out for 6. You have to focus on your heart. I sometimes imagine waves building then breaking on the beach to get my rhythm down. When you concentrate you should be able to make the graph look like a perfect hill climb and your numbers in the green ( high coherence) column will be 80% or better! On occasion I have been able to max out on the lowest challenge level in just a few minutes. People in pain cycles forget how to relax! Biofeedback works and I hope there will be others who read this thread and benefit by this incredible technology.
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

TCB thanks for the visual tip. I got the point of contact for heartmath but now I don't have the system but like Sunil says there is meditation. I have a CD with some meditation guidance and ordered another book with more. I of course now need to do it daily! Thanks for the reminder Sunil. Wishing calmer days for everyone.
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”