Hollis Potter Now Giving Great MRI Protocol In Other States

Discussion of magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance neurography
Karyn

Re: Hollis Potter Now Giving Great MRI Protocol In Other Sta

Post by Karyn »

Hi all,
I've been following this thread since it's inception, a couple of YEARS ago. Soooooo .... what's the deal? I just got through re-reading from beginning to end and haven't heard from one single person verifying the title.

However, I found this response interesting and enlightening:

Re: Hollis Potter Now Giving Great MRI Protocol In Other States

Postby ysabal96 » Sat May 26, 2012 10:58 am

I do know this I recently asked my doc for a scrip 2 see Hollis Potter and was assured we had our own 3T imaging here in CO using Potter's software. We do have such-but they have NO idea what they are doing with it. The reading showed everything on my right side and muscular, missed the surgery I had just months before which removed a large chunk of my ischial tuberosity and had severed all 3 of my hamstrings-there was visable skin and scar deterioation-my left side showed nothing-BUT that's where all my pain is & my surgeries. Besides the other surgeries I had less than a year and a 1/2 earlier which my PT said would have been noted by Potter. I have a July 11th with Potter, but my Ins.won't pay & I paid for the cracker jack one 2. So I'd say just pay for the right one in the first place=).

I had the same type of experience in RI, where I was supposed to be getting a "Potter equivalent 3T MRI". Not so much. :?

To further support the importance of having a well trained radiologist reading your images, vs. someone having the equipment and a protocol:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?ter ... 304095135.

Abstract

Entrapment neuropathies can manifest with confusing clinical features and therefore are often underrecognized and underdiagnosed at clinical examination. Historically, electrophysiologic evaluation has been considered the mainstay of diagnosis. Today, cross-sectional imaging, particularly magnetic resonance (MR) imaging and specifically MR neurography, plays an increasingly important role in the work-up of entrapment neuropathies. MR imaging is a noninvasive operator-independent technique that allows identification of the underlying cause of injury, differentiation between surgically treatable and untreatable causes, and guidance of selective diagnostic anesthetic nerve blocks. Pathologic conditions affecting the lumbosacral plexus and major motor and mixed nerves of the pelvis and hip include neuropathies of the lumbosacral plexus, femoral nerve, lateral femoral cutaneous nerve, obturator nerve, and sciatic nerve; piriformis muscle syndrome; and injury of the gluteal nerves. Diagnosis of entrapment neuropathies of the pelvis and hip with MR imaging requires familiarity with the normal MR imaging anatomy and awareness of the anatomic and pathologic factors that put peripheral nerves at risk for injury.

jaxi123 wrote:When dr hibner saw my results of dr potter's MRI he said it was normal scar tissue. Dr potter sai I am re entrapped at alcocks canal and sciatic nerve is partially entrapped after second surgery. Now who is right?????
How very confusing and upsetting, Jax. I guess what you need to do is ask yourself if your current symptoms correlate with your most recent MRI findings. Hopefully, that will give you your answer as to who is right.

Kind regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Sleepy8727

Post by Sleepy8727 »

Hello does anyone know if there are any places in Florida that are doing these MRIs? In need of alot of help. Also anyone have vascular pelvic congestion with May Thurner? I now have stents and don't know if I can get the MRI. Feeling totally defeated.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

You can get the MRN in St. Petersburg and Weston, Miami. https://www.neurography.com/appointments/
I don't know about the potter MRI. You could ask Tracy Sher if she knows. She has been around for awhile and is very knowledgable. http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/63#FL
Florida is a large state and I don't know where in Fl you are. You might also want to check out the other PT's on that list.

I don't know about the stents and an MRI. What are they made of?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Sleepy8727

Post by Sleepy8727 »

Hi Violet,

Thank you for responding. I was doing this a little backward let me start from the beginning.

I have been dealing with Pudendal Nerve pain on and off for 20 years. I am 42 now. Chiropractic helped majority of the time until about 2 years ago. I had an MRI done of my pelvis that show pelvic vascular congestion. A vascular surgeon went in to embolize the area, he found that I had May Thurner and stented open the iliac vein. He also embolized two areas. I had some relief afterward but the nerve pain came back. I just went and had the nerve block done with Dr. Prologo which helped being the pain down to a 2. I am reluctant to have the ablation though because the pain is intermittent. I was hoping to get the MRI done to see if they can actually see if the nerve is trapped or just being nicked by either a vessel or muscle etc.

I know about the Fillers MRN machine in Weston but I cannot afford the 4K price tag. My hope was some was doing the MRI technique somewhere in FL. I will drive anywhere in FL. I am in the South East portion of the state. But travel is ok.

I doubled check the Stent Info. It is a WallStent. I think they are ok in the MRI.

Thanks for getting back with me.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Some of the PN surgeons aren't considering MRI's all that accurate in determining whether you have an entrapped nerve. I saw an image from the Potter MRI protocol and it looks kind of convincing that you are getting an accurate picture but at this point I'm not sure what to believe. If you have any university medical schools in your area you could check with them on getting a 3T MRI using Hollis Potter's protocol. My understanding is that she is willing to share it but then the question is, if the radiologists followed her protocol would they know how to read the results?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

There are many hospitals that do 3T MRNs, I have had both a Filler MRN years ago and one done recently at a hospital a couple hours from me. The one done at the hospital was completely covered by insurance. As Violet mentioned, MRIs and MRNs are not really considered diagnostic for much to do with PN or PNE. I went over some images from mine with a radiologist and the nerve is quite tiny and cannot really be seen well using current imaging technology. I have seen many doctors who specialize in PN over the years and most are only interested in the imaging to rule out obvious causes of PN pain, like tumors, rather than used for specific diagnosis or treatment decisions.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Stephanie
>Your post regarding the Potter made sense to me as well.
I just read a blog from a from someone that the Potter MRI was not particularly diagnostic in dxing PN/ or PNE. This person said that the other doctors who used Dr Potter's protocol were not finding anything on the MRI that pointed to PN as causal.
I can concur , as I also had the Potter MRI in about 2009 time frame.. Various things showed but there was no sign of scar tissue or anything related to entrapment. My pelvic pain doc was aggressive about trying to remedy my pain, so we addressed every finding, insignificant or not and it led to dead ends, and an unnecessary labral tear surgery, which did nothing to improve my pain, and was unrelated to my pain symptoms.
I was wondering if anyone here got significant info that helped them, from their Potter MRI.
Thx everyone.

Return to “MRI/MRN”