Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 3/6/15

Read about the latest Technology, which Doctors are performing this technique and the advantages and disadvantages of this cutting edge pain management therapy.
quilter

Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 3/6/15

Post by quilter »

Dear blightcp,

I'm excited about your improvement with the pump! I've never heard of one that delivers directly to the pudendal nerve. My anestheshesiologist has only mentioned the standard intrathecal pump, though we haven't discussed this option lately.

Will copy your dosage info. Could you please post Dr. Ross' full name, location, and the exact device he implanted at the pudendal nerve so I can have an informed discussion with my CA anesthesiologist? I had to remove the sacral neurostimulator after 1 year because of new sacral pain at the site of 1 lead, rectal pain + bowel problems. A pain pump trial is the next option as I have so many issues with oral med side effects. I've been holding off on the trial to see if the stim-related issues improved. Also, want to see the eventual outcome of PNE surgery 14 months ago. So far, I'm still much improved in that regard. Thanks!
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

I got home yesterday night 2 days early!! Everything went great.

I have started another topic like this one for the pain pump. So I can keep the two procedures separate.
http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... 616#p48775

I will start documenting all of the details over there.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
river133

Post by river133 »

This latest information about my MRI may delay my pain pump. I have a compression fracture in T12,have no idea when it happened. I hope they can just shoot some cement in there without opening me up. Have a nerve impingement in L5. Other than that,I do not have any remarkable stenosis. :( darn,schucks, this really sucks. Is that word accepted here? Well I said it.
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

Does a person get constipation from a pain pump and the meds they use like taken meds orally?

Ray
river133

Post by river133 »

I am choosing not to see a spine surgeon. I just want to go ahead with the pain pump.
Ray ,I understand there could be constipation problems with the pump meds. They give you something to conteract that.
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

Ray P. wrote:Does a person get constipation from a pain pump and the meds they use like taken meds orally?

Ray
Oral medication slow down the bowel, but with a pain pump the medication is not delivered into the bloodstream. So no from my understanding, a pain pump does not cause constipation from the discussions I have had with the Doctors performing my pain pump trial last week.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Ellie, it didn't sound like they tried the neurostimulation in the conus medullaris area for you -- just the nerve roots. But I don't know if you could bring this up to Dr. Schultz.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
river133

Post by river133 »

Guess not Violet. Dr.Schultz inserted the leads in S1 and L1. I hated the stimulator.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Sorry it didn't work for you, Ellie.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
river133

Post by river133 »

Went in to see th P.A.about my back issues . My fracture has been healed at T12. I will be going in on Tues,.for an injection into the transferaminal nerves. Diagnostic. Think I spelled it correctly. Should be hearing in the next couple of days about the trial. .Will take your advice Carl about the pain scale. I get so tired of their #s, I mostly say severe..I specifically wanted to ask the PA.about drop foot. She stated that my impingement was at L5 and not at L4 which makes a difference. My understanding about this was damage to the peroneol nerve. And on and on and on it goes. We sure do try don't we.?
I may have written this here the other day if I did,just bear with me. I blame it on the gabapentine. Sure can not be my age. .But then I was told the other day that they could do surgery but wouldn't want to because of my age. That is ar crock,they do it all of the time on people older than I.

Return to “NEUROSTIMULATION”