is there a bed wedge coccyx cushion?

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
quilter

is there a bed wedge coccyx cushion?

Post by quilter »

Is there a triangle bed wedge with a coccyx cutout (not the kind with arms you lean against for reading in bed)? The wedge-type pads for sitting are all too thick at the thinnest end to use in bed - they tweak my back after a short time. I want a large medium-soft foam triangle wedge: maybe 1/2" at one end to place under L3-5, then an oval cutout to take pressure off the sacrum, and about 6" thick at the top edge for under my knees - maybe 26" long and wide. If such a thing doesn't exist I'll buy an inexpensive bed wedge and cut out an oval. Pillows on both sides of my butt don't stay in place. The V-shaped pillows I've seen so far are a good concept but too thick for my low back to be comfortable. Also need the padding under my thighs to keep my heels from grinding into the mattress - have some mild plantar fasciitis on the PN side, can't tolerate the nighttime braces. Since left PNE surgery I can finally sleep a bit on my unaffected side, but now have a full rotator cuff tear and have to stay off that shoulder.

Shoulder surgery is soon. 6-8 weeks in a sling will force me to pretty much lie on my back, flaring the sacral/rectal pain caused by the SCS. I've told my ortho I need similar padding for surgery. I'll be unconscious during, but 2-3 hours on that hard O.R. table plus preop/recovery room hours will cause a flare. Just went through two 90-minute arthrograms which hurt badly even with the padding they provided. All suggestions are appreciated!
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
Violet M

Re: is there a bed wedge coccyx cushion?

Post by Violet M »

Quilter I did a google search and the only ones I could find with cutouts are for chairs or sitting so I think your idea of making your own cutout for a bed wedge might be your best bet. I guess that could get expensive though if it doesn't come out right the first time. Maybe you could make a small cutout to start out with and then enlarge it if necessary.

It sure gets tricky when you have more than one area of pain -- trying to juggle things so you can find comfy positions. I hope your upcoming surgery goes well and that you will get the full use of your arm back without complications. I've heard it's extremely important to follow the activity restrictions in order for a shoulder surgery to heal properly. Not fun I'm sure and hopefully your family will be supportive and help you out.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
quilter

Post by quilter »

Thanks for looking for a product, Violet! I ordered an inexpensive ($19.99) wedge from WalMart, will get it Wed, and will see if it's the right size. I came up with the dimensions it based on the 2 wedges I already have. If that one it isn't right I'll keep searching for one to cut, but I think my idea is worth pursuing for myself, and maybe for others with tailbone pain in bed.

Went through RC repair several years ago on the other arm and it wasn't fun (but didn't have the sacral/rectal/bowel issues then, just PNE). I'm using the same surgeon, healed well then and had a great outcome after PT. While waiting for surgery I'm trying to train my non-dominant arm to do things it normally doesn't. In my former life (before pain) I was a violinist and played a little piano, so there were some ambidextrous fine motor skills once. I can't write with that hand and not sure I should be using a sharp knife for cooking. My doc said to practice toilet paper skills. I had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery 20+ years ago (in 2 casts for 2 weeks - refused to go through 2 separate surgeries and recoveries - wanted to return to work). I needed help eating, but decided that nobody was going to wipe my butt and figured it out. Family & neighbors will help. Having met and talked with me, I think you know I'm pretty determined and independent so it will work out. Thanks for the good wishes! Hope you're having a good summer so far.
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Well, at least you know what to expect with the upcoming shoulder surgery and it sounds like you had a good outcome with that one. Wish PNE surgeries were as predictable!

Take care,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”