How many

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
stcyt123

How many

Post by stcyt123 »

Hi all
I have had 1 left side and 2 bilateral nerve blocks with steroids. Last bilateral was about three weeks ago
I feel like i might be starting to get some relief, particularly on the left side which has had three blocks. I feel like i read somewhere that it was bad to have more than three blocks. I definately want to get the third on the right side, but i would like to get another bilateral. Is there a reason that i shouldnt get more than 3?

Thanks for your input
nyt

Re: How many

Post by nyt »

The rule for nerve blocks is no more than 3 per year. That is due to the steroid that is used in the nerve block.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
RJR

Post by RJR »

Some doctors will switch up, alternating between different steroids to help mitigate.
Bob
Cyclist till perineal pain onset R side (Apr'08). Dx with PN (Aug'09). Lyrica gave 30% pain reduction. Potter MRI (Oct'10) validated at surgery with Dr Hibner (Nov'10) - found nerve attached to scarred STL. Now sitting 10 hrs/day vs 1 hr/day pre-op. Occasional MRI-guided steroid injections by Dr. Jan Fritz at Johns Hopkins. Surgery video = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDwana6SQU

Deep neuropathic burning pain flares have been gone since surgery...Grateful to Dr Hibner.
nonsequitur

Post by nonsequitur »

According to Dr. Jerome Weiss, the steroid which looks like milk in the syringe, crystallizes when it dries and that can by itself irritate the nerve. It is why he would switch to Heparin/Lidocaine injections for repeat treatments instead of a steroid.
“Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways.”
S.Freud
kathleencjustice

Post by kathleencjustice »

It was really helpful.
Amy01

Post by Amy01 »

It's nothing wrong with nerve blocks, it is the steroids in them which can cause harm to the body if used more than three in a year.
Bets

Re: Bob

Post by Bets »

Saw your post regarding Dr. Marvel--I am in Vt and thinking about traveling to Md area for a full up and treatment protocol. Can you give me your thoughts re Dr. Marvel (where he is, etc) and how far you went with him. Also, why did you choose to have surgery in Az vs Johns Hopkins? Thanks for any info.

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”