HOW MANY YEARS AFTER SURGERY DID YOU GET IMPROVEMENT

Dr Thierry Vancaillie
ElizaM

HOW MANY YEARS AFTER SURGERY DID YOU GET IMPROVEMENT

Post by ElizaM »

Hi Guys.
I had surgery July 2015 to release the PN on my left side. So it's been 17 months and I'm not a lot better. Probably only 10% better. Still avoid sitting like the plague. My question is: have any of you who have had surgery had to wait a few years before you felt true relief? I see Prof Vancaillie. We are talking about possibly getting a neuromodulator put in for pain relief. Prof Vancaillie wants me to wait and see how I am after the 2 year mark.
PN Left sided started April 2013 after TVT sling surgery for stress incontinence. Nov 2013 surgery reviewed by another surgeon and sling removed as found to be incorrectly inserted on left side. Pain gradually increased. 2014 Prof Vancaille diagnosed PN. PT, nerve blocks, botox, pulsed radio frequency tried with no success. PNE diagnosed by MRI result. July 2015 Pudendal nerve release surgery with Prof Theiry Vancaille and Dr Loefler.
Violet M

Re: HOW MANY YEARS AFTER SURGERY DID YOU GET IMPROVEMENT

Post by Violet M »

I wasn't able to start sitting much until after 18 months. After that I was able to slowly increase sitting time and do more and more things without causing a pain flare. I continued to see improvements for several years. I think what Dr. Vancaillie makes sense - to wait 2 years. Catherine A from Australia said it took her 3 years to recover. You can read her post at the following link: http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... ars#p48706

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
ElizaM

Post by ElizaM »

Hi Violet. Thank you so much for your reply. It truly has given me some hope that all is not lost yet. From what I've been reading some seem to take that little bit longer than the 1-2 year mark the Drs tell you. I suppose we are all different. I'm not going to rush into the neuromodulator just yet. I'll see how I am in another 18 months. Thanks again. :)
PN Left sided started April 2013 after TVT sling surgery for stress incontinence. Nov 2013 surgery reviewed by another surgeon and sling removed as found to be incorrectly inserted on left side. Pain gradually increased. 2014 Prof Vancaille diagnosed PN. PT, nerve blocks, botox, pulsed radio frequency tried with no success. PNE diagnosed by MRI result. July 2015 Pudendal nerve release surgery with Prof Theiry Vancaille and Dr Loefler.
Catherine Aur

Post by Catherine Aur »

Eliza. Violet is right in saying it took me 3 years to begin to see positive improvement... And at 7 years I was a good 80% better..
it's been 10 years now since I had PNE release surgery. I have ongoing Botox injections to my right side obturator muscle. No meds. after the 7 year mark.
Not 100% cured but get great relief for around 8/9 months from Botox. It's a long, painful process as the nerve can take years to recover.

Don't give up. Neuromodulator is invasive surgery too. Don't rush into it until you've given it 3 years or more.

Catherine/ Perth. WA
ladybird

Post by ladybird »

Hi Eliza. I had both pudendal nerves released in Oct 2015. Professor Vancille did the block but it was another surgeon who did the surgery. I had about 70% reduction in the tingling feeling throughout my saddle area. It flicks on and off now and it doesn't always match what I've been doing, but I definitely needed the surgery. The MRI showed both sides were compressed: My nerve pain is still low compared to before the surgery and that was a year and a half ago. Hope that helps. :)
My pelvic pain presents as a constant dull ache, fluttering/buzzing throughout my pelvic region. My pelvic diaphram is stressed due to my musculoskeletal system adapting to my uneven hips, which reduces blood flow to the nerves/muscles which is why I believe I have chronic pelvic pain.

Return to “AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND”