My experience of Restorative Exercise

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Alan1646

My experience of Restorative Exercise

Post by Alan1646 »

This relates to my own experience only. It may well be the ideal treatment for others but I'd like to say what my own personal experience has been. After much thought, I contacted a very well qualified and accredited practitioner. I did this with some trepidation, as some other treatments in the past have made matters worse.
I was assessed in detail for my posture and alignment and was given specific stretching and relaxation exercises to do at home. After some months and doing the exercises regularly, I am sorry to say my pain has grown considerably worse. I have now completely discontinued the exercises and just hope that eventually I will get back to the levels of pain I had before. I'm not going to name the person I went to nor to say anything to identify them in any way. I have no reason to believe that any other Restorative Exercise practitioner would have done anything different. I noticed that many of the exercises I was given are given online on other sites.
I think that with any treatment, there is a chance of making things worse, and it's a risk that only the individual can decide is worth taking. Thankfully, I can still walk with little pain, and that is the only exercise I do now.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
Violet M

Re: My experience of Restorative Exercise

Post by Violet M »

Alan, I agree with you that restorative exercise is not the answer for everyone. I think if I had tried it that I very likely would have gotten worse because exercise is what got me into trouble in the first place and any type of activity seemed to make me worse. I think it was because the nerve was being irritated by the ligaments so movement just caused more irritation and made it wore. Sorry to hear it did not work for you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Alan,

Walking is the only exercise I can do as well.I have not researched restorative exercise, so I do not know what stretches and exercises are part of the program, but I know that any type of stretch along the calf/hamstring will worsen my pain as does bending or squatting. I hope your pain increase will be temporary and calm down quickly.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

Although I stopped doing the exercises and stretches I was given for Restorative Exercise some six weeks ago, I still have much worse pain than before and now have trouble sleeping because of pain. I wish I'd never heard of Restorative Exercise.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

Swimming works for me. It does not help my PNE, but it does give me some exercise and I feel half normal when I swim. LOL
I do some walking also.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Sorry this happened to you, Alan. I am leery of restorative exercise just based on my own experience. Stretching and exercise got me into trouble. Sometimes I wonder if Dr. Antolak's advice would be best for most people here -- just practice hyperprotection and lifestyle changes for awhile and see if the nerve heals on its own.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “UK & IRELAND”