Did you get Painkillers?

Welcome to HOPE. We have tried to provide a place for newcomers to make their introductions. We will try our best to make you welcome and guide you through our website and Forum and assist you as best as we can through any questions you have regarding Pudendal Neuralgia.
PleaseHelp

Did you get Painkillers?

Post by PleaseHelp »

Hello forum members!

I've been into that cruel illness now over 10 months and didn't get painkillers till now..

I just wanted to know who got painkillers and after what time?
What did you get, did that medicament changed over the time - and did it help?
I know there are a lot people still struggling with pain but i don't understand why small to hard opioids or morphine don't help.. We have 2017 and the medical system is so far till today, why isn't there a medicament who can't take this pain away ...

Greets !
Violet M

Re: Did you get Painkillers?

Post by Violet M »

Depending on your genetics, opioids may or may not help ease neuropathic pain. For me it took some of the edge off the pain but didn't take it completely away. I started taking opioids about 1 year after the pain started.

In the US there are many people who abuse drugs so doctors are reluctant to prescribe opioids. The other problem with opioids is that over time you develop a tolerance to them so they don't work as well and you may develop an addiction to them.

I took hydrocodone for several months before PNE surgery but I didn't take it around the clock every day. I just took it in the evening sometimes so that I could be available to my family. After surgery I took oxycodone for about 9 months but I only took it in the evening or at night because I did not want to develop a tolerance to it or become addicted. During the daytime I tried to get by using heat and ice but it was not easy. At night I took clonazepam for about a year to help me sleep. Gabapentin did't help much and had too many side effects but maybe I just never got up to a high enough dose.

You might want to do a search on Cora's posts on this forum on the topic of suboxone.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
keepmoving!

Post by keepmoving! »

You can get your genes tested to see if you metabolize drugs in an unusual manner. Several opioids are metabolized through the liver, lots going through the CYP2D6 pathway. Many people of European ancestry have issues with the CYP2D6 pathway. Just one example, if you do have problems with this pathway, Norco would not work for you but Hydromorphone would. Might be worth checking out, good luck!
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

I have been on Pregabalin for nearly three years & Tapentadol for nearly two. I didnt think they helped until I stopped taking them & I swiftly found that they do. Albeit, not enough. Tapentadol is a 'controlled' medication in the U.K. & Im told is quite expensive. I am not sure how things work with medication in other parts of the world.
Credula vitam spes fovet et melius cras fore semper dicit...
qwertyuiop2

Post by qwertyuiop2 »

I've heard different people react to different meds so it takes some time to find the right mixture. I was put on various different meds that did nothing for me before I got on Lyrica & Cymbalta and they, as a combination, worked pretty well. Lyrica, Cymbalta, clonazepam and benzos have been the only useful meds for me. I have not tried opioids yet, since pain is not my biggest problem, but rather urinary issues.

My symptoms started 7 months ago and I've been on Lyrica & Cymbalta for 6 months.
PleaseHelp

Post by PleaseHelp »

Violet M wrote:Depending on your genetics, opioids may or may not help ease neuropathic pain. For me it took some of the edge off the pain but didn't take it completely away. I started taking opioids about 1 year after the pain started.

In the US there are many people who abuse drugs so doctors are reluctant to prescribe opioids. The other problem with opioids is that over time you develop a tolerance to them so they don't work as well and you may develop an addiction to them.

I took hydrocodone for several months before PNE surgery but I didn't take it around the clock every day. I just took it in the evening sometimes so that I could be available to my family. After surgery I took oxycodone for about 9 months but I only took it in the evening or at night because I did not want to develop a tolerance to it or become addicted. During the daytime I tried to get by using heat and ice but it was not easy. At night I took clonazepam for about a year to help me sleep. Gabapentin did't help much and had too many side effects but maybe I just never got up to a high enough dose.

You might want to do a search on Cora's posts on this forum on the topic of suboxone.

Violet
Did you start taking opioids when u realized other medications doesn't help? Or did other medics work aswell and you start additional with opioids?
I try to figure out why nobody talks about painkillers from my doctor, there are more topics about changing the dose, raise the medics - Gabapentin 3600mg daily (max. since 1month) & Saroten 20mg (which we put up to 75mg in the next weeks)
Additional i get now Voltaren 50mg tables for "pain attacks" - but i dont have any - it's more like a consistent pain/prickling, i don't have times where it "hits" me hard.. neither when i sit on my seat ring for hours ...

Maybe as long as normal recovery is available - there is no indication to give opiods.. maybe because you don't know if the other medics help when opioids take away the pain?
PleaseHelp

Post by PleaseHelp »

keepmoving! wrote:You can get your genes tested to see if you metabolize drugs in an unusual manner. Several opioids are metabolized through the liver, lots going through the CYP2D6 pathway. Many people of European ancestry have issues with the CYP2D6 pathway. Just one example, if you do have problems with this pathway, Norco would not work for you but Hydromorphone would. Might be worth checking out, good luck!
that's very helpful - didn't know that something like that exists!
When it comes to that point that the doctors want to give me opioids i will definitely make a test to check.
But why are there so many people who try a few opioids and nothing really helps, still suffering.. Why don't more people make that test?
PleaseHelp

Post by PleaseHelp »

Andy_Pablo wrote:I have been on Pregabalin for nearly three years & Tapentadol for nearly two. I didnt think they helped until I stopped taking them & I swiftly found that they do. Albeit, not enough. Tapentadol is a 'controlled' medication in the U.K. & Im told is quite expensive. I am not sure how things work with medication in other parts of the world.
I'm in the same situation like you - "i don't think they help anymore", but i really don't know how I would feel when i cancel the medication... Maybe I'm on the right way!

Did you get Gabapentin before Pregabalin? And what about antidepressants?
PleaseHelp

Post by PleaseHelp »

qwertyuiop2 wrote:I've heard different people react to different meds so it takes some time to find the right mixture. I was put on various different meds that did nothing for me before I got on Lyrica & Cymbalta and they, as a combination, worked pretty well. Lyrica, Cymbalta, clonazepam and benzos have been the only useful meds for me. I have not tried opioids yet, since pain is not my biggest problem, but rather urinary issues.

My symptoms started 7 months ago and I've been on Lyrica & Cymbalta for 6 months.
I read a lot of "find the right mixture" - and a lot of people changed that over time except me...
PN started 10 months ago, Gabapentin and Saroten since then and it went 50% better - but i don't know if it's really caused by the medics or just "time".
Maybe he wants to stick to that therapy because it helped in the "past".
PleaseHelp

Post by PleaseHelp »

Most people get Pregabalin / Lyrica and Cymbalta - and I just try to figure out why my doctor doesn't changed that when i got no further recovery the last 2,3 months..

In 10 months the PN got 50% better with Gabapentin and Saroten, so maybe it's the right way to stick to that therapy because it helped?
We raise Saroten from 20mg to 75mg now.

My doctor thinks i will wake up one day and suddenly it's everything okay again.

Additional i get now NSAR (Voltaren 50mg) tables for "pain attacks" - but i dont have any - it's more like a consistent pain/prickling, i don't have times where it "hits" me hard.. neither when i sit on my seat ring for hours ...
Is it useless? I think i would need a "long timed medication" - not anything for pain attacks.

Return to “WELCOME CENTER”