Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal pain?

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Volley

Re: Did labral tear surgery reduce your PN/pelvic/perineal p

Post by Volley »

Two years ago I started having sitting issues. Pain mostly in the sit bones and glute fold with burning in my buttocks. No pain with sex. I did experience constipation & urinary frequency. I saw numerous doctors, tried trigger point injections and PT for 3 months with no improvement. I traveled to Chicago to see Rhonda Kotarinos and improved significantly. She referred me to a PT closer to home who continued my therapy. I saw significant improvement, but was then in a car accident at my work. All if my pain came back with lower back & hip pain.

I had 2 injections in my back which helped. I had arthroscopic hip surgery in June. I'm just now down to one crutch. A lot of my pelvic issues have returned and lower back. I'm hoping its temporary. I was very active prior to any if this starting. Did anyone eventually see the pelvic issues subside after the hip was completely rehabilitated?
Jake

Post by Jake »

Kathy d,

You had a Labral repair, and no one said anything about FAI? I'm surprised, as they both go hand-in-hand... in fact, FAI is a big reason for labral tears in the first place. Basically, it's a bony growth on either the ball or the socket (or oftentimes, both), that limits the rang of motion of the hip. Go ahead and Google it, there's tons of info out there about it nowadays.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Thx Jake,
for the info! - I will google FAI as you suggest.
I just responded to ur post ,but the website made me sign -on again, then my post was gone!. ( happens a lot on this site! -- ARRG!)
Must check with the moderators about this!

Anyway, In short, my surgery was done as part of a study my pelvic pain gyn was doing..along with a well known surgeon at Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC Some her patients benefited from the surgery,so she urged me to do it.
I had no hip pain at all, so was very skeptical ,but figured it was worth a shot, as I trusted this doctor, and really wanted to feel better. My pain at the time was mainly bladder voiding issues and urethral , with mild sit bone pain.
Afterwards,, no change, but within a few months my mild pain with sitting, began to slowly worsen. As the years went by the sitting pain moved to the anal area and I cannot really sit.
I have a great PT locally and thankfully have made some some slow progress with sitting with various cushions, when I need to sit to drive locally or dine out..Things are still very painful, and complicated. She says I have a long ways to go, but she explains everything clearly, and says my issues are due to severe anal spasm in anal sphincter-( muscle tightness. Im guessing that back when I had the labral tear surgery in 2009 my tightness was in the urethral sphincter; it seems to makes sense that I clenched my pelvic floor for many years. and caused pelvic floor dyfunction and the spasm, unknowingly.
So.that surgery was prbly never needed for me, but I still will do the reading on FAI.. When I read about successful labral tear surgeries I wondered why the doctors never mentioned FAI to me..

I wish you the best in Your healing, and thx again for the reply!
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi Jake (again) and everyone,
I just quickly skimmed this very informative thread. ! will tell my Pt about what Ive learned and ask her about SIJD and variousl other things mentioned here...I hope to get her to look at this thread if possible.
By the way Jake, the doctor that suggested the hip tear surgery for me was Dr Deborah Coady -- the surgeon was DR Coleman. As I said I felt that Dr Coady really cared, and I valued her opinion, and I knew Coleman was well known so
i had the surgery..
I will read the link someone posted where Dr Coady writes about the connection between hip tears and pelvic/pain.. and see if she covers the ratio of those who had some success.
My husband wondered if we should've had an MRI for the other hip too, but I've heard that if the average middle-aged person had an MRI , you would find a labral tear. Also Hip pain thankfully has not been an issue, tho it sounds like some others here don't have it either
So I didn't do the other side . I am glad tho.
i don't think it would help to have more surgery ..As you pointed out Beverly, each surgery causes more Central Sensitization, and my Pt says ,that is a big part of my pain.

Some one -- I think Helen,-- also mentioned resting one side of her body in order to relieve pain. I also find that it hurts less if I lift my right foot (the worst side) and lean on left side. Standing in place is hard either way.Even when things were just beginning I noticed it was uncomfortable to stand in place.
I also wanted to say hello to Faith and ask how she is doing lately? We me in Canada to have ESWT therapy with Dr Andrew in 2012, when he was still working with a partner. I hope you are doing betterthese days Faith.. I think of you often.
I has some success in Canada and was able to sit while there.. but the pain returned the say before our drive home. After hearing mixed reviews of Dr Andrew, and a flare I had when I got home, I haven't gone back, but he did say i would require a few more trips. Ive spoken to him and he is does not sell the procedure as a cure-all for this pain, as did his partner when I first decided to go up there..
Much to think about.
My hubby has been many places with me, trying to help rid me of this pain and he is tired of it all, so convincing him to go Canada again iwouldn't be easy
and no guarantees of course...So Ive mixed emotions but its something to think about.
Good health and wish to all and thx for all the info!
Lernica

Post by Lernica »

Hello everyone!

Quick update from me, five years after bilateral arthroscopic hip surgeries to repair labral tears, FAI and loose cartilage from joints. I am 100% pain free, can sit as long as I like, have intercourse, and exercise, even lift weights and ride a bike! The hip surgeries were key to my recovery, although it still took about a year post-op to completely resolve the PN pain.

My 10 year journey with pain had some longterm psychological effects such as depression and anxiety, which I still suffer with from time to time. But I would say I am 100% recovered physically and 80% recovered psychologically.

This forum was such an important part of my journey, and I thank all of you for your invaluable guidance and companionship during that difficult time.

Warm regards and best wishes to all of you.

Lernica
Athlete until pain started in 2001. Diagnosed with PN in Nov. 2010. Probable cause: 3 difficult labors, 5 pelvic surgeries for endometriosis, and undiagnosed hip injuries. 60% better after 3 rounds of shockwave therapy in Cornwall, Ontario (Dec - Feb/12). 99% better after bilateral hip scopes for FAI and labral tears (April and July/12). Pelvic pain life coach Lorraine Faendrich helped me overcome the mind/body connection to chronic pain: http://www.radiantlifedesign.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Lernica!

Wow, I was so excited to read your post and hear that you are pain-free now. It is so good to hear from you. Thank you for coming back and giving us an update. Your posts on this forum have been so valuable, I still sometimes tell people to do a search on your posts.

I don't think you ever quite get over the experience of pain that most of us have gone through. It is truly a life-changing illness but I would guess that in some ways you are stronger than you were before. It's truly amazing what you can do now physically. I wish you continued recovery and confidence in recovering from the psychological scars.

Take care,

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
April

Post by April »

Wonderful news! Thank you so much for the update.

April
Frances11

Post by Frances11 »

Has anyone had labral tear surgery in Canada? I'm in Alberta. I am trying to decide if I should continue waiting to see someone locally (have been waiting about a year so far) or if I should consider flying to see Dr. Coleman. Of course I would have to pay everything out of pocket in the US. All I have so far is an MRA ordered by my family doctor that says there is a 1cm anterosuperior acetabular tear with a 3mm intralabral cyst. I'm really not sure how significant that is or whether I have any FAI or not as I am still waiting for a consult. I have done tons of physio (both pelvic floor and for the hip) with some improvements but mainly my obturator internus will not stay settled down and I think as a result I have ongoing PN. It was my pelvic floor physio that suspected the labral tear due to clicking of the hip joint on exam. I am most nervous about the traction on the nerve in surgery and also want to see someone with enough arthroscopy experience. Appreciate any thoughts or advise.
Frances11

Post by Frances11 »

One more thing... does Dr. Coleman use a perineal post always for those of you that have seen him? I’ve seen some research suggesting arthroscopy can be done without and there’s a lower incidence of pudendal injury. Does anyone know of any surgeons that don’t use the post?
Gen

Post by Gen »

Frances11: It's funny how your situation sourds like mine. I'm from Montreal. If you have found anything, Please ler me know!

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”