PN and driving

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
gjones

PN and driving

Post by gjones »

I decided to inform the DVLA of my condition with full details of my diagnosis, medication, and consultant's details. I thought that if they restricted my driving or banned me from driving I would have to accept it. I have also given my insurance company ( car ) relevant information.

The result was that I have been given a full licence with no restrictions because of PN.

My insurance costs are actually lower now than they were before I made full disclosure.

Of course, every case is different, but my opinion is that full disclosure and honesty is the best policy. I hope that helps someone.
Violet M

Re: PN and driving

Post by Violet M »

Good for you -- glad this worked out well for you. I have never heard of anyone being restricted on driving due to pudendal neuralgia but obviously the medications can be an issue.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
gjones

Re: PN and driving

Post by gjones »

That's a very fair comment Voilet. My remarks relate only to the UK and what I know of the law and regulations here. We are obliged to tell the DVLA of any medical condition that could potentially affect our driving. Pain on sitting obviously could although you might argue it's a matter of opinion, it's safer to tell them and let them assess the situation with reference to your medical records.
Also with insurance, if you fail to inform your company of a relevant fact they could reject a claim and it could also mean you were driving without insurance, which is a criminal offence here.

Return to “UK & IRELAND”