Swollen ankles

Hysterectomy, Ovary Removal, SIJD, Piriformis Syndrome etc
Poppy

Swollen ankles

Post by Poppy »

I've had swollen ankles for the past 3 or 4 years and been taking Furosemide. GP can't find a reason for it. I've had tests for heart failure, kidney and liver and all are clear. A few months ago he tried to reduce my tablets from 40mg to 20. It didn't work so he put it back up to 40 but as two 29mg tablets instead of one 40mg tablet. Firstly is it possible that two smaller tablets don't work as well as one big one? (I know that sounds daft) but secondly does anyone else with PN suffer from swollen ankles and maybe know why? I'm wondering if it could be pelvic congestion or simply lack of activity.
Two months ago the tablets worked but now my ankles are swelling by 3pm. I do have sciatic pain in feet and ankles but that's started only recently.
1985 diagnosed fibro; 1990 hysterectomy with bladder suspension;2000 T12 (Maigne ) syndrome; urticaria and angioedema; sjogrens syndrome; adhesions; pelvic pain; two herniated discs in neck.
sam

Re: Swollen ankles

Post by sam »

Hi Poppy, I dont know if this is relevant, but I have started to have nerve pain in my left thumb and left side of the face of late, apart from my pelvic nerves so I assume that the nerves in my left side are in some way affected.I think the nerves have a domino effect and when one nerve is damaged it sends cross talk to the others nearby and eventually multiple nerves are involved.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

I cannot say im familiar with swollen ankles being a symptom of PN but with any person each of us are different....it could be just a blood pressure problem or just an inactivity with heat combined to retain fluids. Your doctor can help you better i think on this topic.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

No it's not blood pressure or heart failure or kidney. They've all been checked out. The swollen ankles are because of inactivity over 9 years. We know that but usually the diuretics take it down. They've stopped being effective since the PN started. I wondered if it caused some sort of pelvic congestion , maybe tense muscles affecting the pelvic veins. Spoke to GP who just told me to take an extra tablet but only for two days as they can affect kidneys. Alternative was whether it's mostly SI joint pain down legs and into ankles.
1985 diagnosed fibro; 1990 hysterectomy with bladder suspension;2000 T12 (Maigne ) syndrome; urticaria and angioedema; sjogrens syndrome; adhesions; pelvic pain; two herniated discs in neck.
HerMajesty

Post by HerMajesty »

have the recent changes in pain caused any compensatory changes in the way you position your body for greater comfort? When somebody is already prone to swollen ankles, the diuretic works best when it is combined with elevating the ankles, ideally to or above the level of the heart. Traditionally this is done by using a couple of pillows under the ankles while lying on one's back or while sitting with one's feet on a stool. But of course with pelvic pain and sciatica, a lot of other factors are going to come into play when you position yourself. If you are standing more or allowing your legs to be in any other lower position than prior, it might be making the med less effective than it used to be.
pelvic pain started 1985 age 14 interstitial cystitis. Refused medical care from age 17, did GREAT with self care for years.
2004 PN started gradually, disabled by 2009. Underlying cause SIJD & Tarlov cysts
improved with PT & meds: neurontin, valium, nortriptyline, propanolol. (off nortriptyline & propanolol now, yay!)
Tarlov cyst surgery with Dr. Frank Feigenbaum March 20, 2012.
Results have been excellent so far; but I won't know my final functional level for a couple of years.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Great comments from HM,

Poppy maybe the recent warmer temps in the UK have made your condition worse....are you standing more? The secret is to take the pressure off your legs and raise them above your heart to take the swelling down...I also recommend using many essential oils to reduce swelling...try a few drops of Geranium, lavender and cypress in a solution of cool water of about 1L...soak a flannel in the solution and place it on your legs or ankles.....it does help me greatly as I have very painful veins in my legs.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thank you, I'll try the oils. Yes I am standing a lot more because lying down and sitting really hurt.
Warmer weather? What warmer weather? We had snow yesterday and it's freezing. If my ankles are like this now I dread summer. THe GP did mention the possibility of the prolapse etc squashing the veins in my pelvis . Maybe I shoudl hand upside down? It might take the tension off everything else too.
Got a hilarious Birthdau card from husband today. Picture of surgeons operating and pulling out lengths of intestine. Caption says "That goes-- God I don't know, let's Google it". Well he thought it was hilarious. Maybe they could just take everything out and put them all back in the right places!
elellie

Post by elellie »

Amanda wrote:Great comments from HM,

Poppy maybe the recent warmer temps in the UK have made your condition worse....are you standing more? The secret is to take the pressure off your legs and raise them above your heart to take the swelling down...I also recommend using many essential oils to reduce swelling...try a few drops of Geranium, lavender and cypress in a solution of cool water of about 1L...soak a flannel in the solution and place it on your legs or ankles.....it does help me greatly as I have very painful veins in my legs.
This works for me too. But I can't do this anytime, I can do it only at home. Normally, I can only go home at night, and during the day I have to rely on compression sleeves for swollen ankles that support the blood vessels to reduce the swelling of my legs. Effective method is recommended.

Return to “ASSOCIATED DISORDERS”