Pelvic floor therapy after PN decompression surgery

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Natedogg91

Pelvic floor therapy after PN decompression surgery

Post by Natedogg91 »

Has anyone pursued pelvic floor therapy after getting a unilateral or bilateral pudendal nerve decompression performed with positive pudendal nerve entrapment - if so how’d it go for you? Perceived benefits? Made you feel worse? Just curious - the literature is slim to none on this subject. Appreciate anyone who’s willing to share!

- Nate
Violet M

Re: Pelvic floor therapy after PN decompression surgery

Post by Violet M »

Hi Nate,

I did pelvic floor PT about a year after PNE surgery. It was too painful before that, but for some people you might be able to start it sooner. What I found most helpful about PT a year after surgery was using a TENs unit to calm down the muscles that had been in spasm for so long -- the obturator internus and the piriformis. Overall, I would say that PT was helpful in getting the muscles calmed down, but I think that if it is painful you should avoid it and wait to see if you can tolerate it later. I don't see any point in irritating an already irritated nerve.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “SURGERY”