Post op referred pain

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
avalove

Post op referred pain

Post by avalove »

Hi everyone.

I had left sided PNE and got the nerve released laparoscopically by Dr Bautrant 4 months ago.
Healing hasn’t been linear but I still believe it’s possible. Recently I’ve experienced right sided PN (opposite side) pain and it is certainly playing with my mind. I also get some nerve shooting down both legs and in feet. From my understanding, this could be nerves cross talking during the regeneration phase. But how common is this? Is it possible for my right side to becoming entrapped? Is there another explanation? PNE was a result of childbirth, got nerve released within 10 months of debilitating symptoms (no other treatments provided relief).

Thanks!
Violet M

Re: Post op referred pain

Post by Violet M »

Hi Ava,

It's not uncommon to develop symptoms on the other side after having the nerve released on one side. I don't know the reason though. It could be that there was some pathology on the "good side" prior to surgery that was masked by your worst side. I know of people who have gone back to have surgery on the other side later. But you are only 4 months out from surgery so it's pretty early to draw any conclusions on the results yet.

It's typical to get shooting pains in the pudendal nerve area during recovery as the nerve is waking up, but I haven't heard of shooting pains in the legs post-op. Have you communicated with Dr. Bautrant about it and if so what does he think?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
avalove

Post by avalove »

Thanks Violet. It’s a lot to process the potential of having to travel to France again (I’m from Australia).

I’ve emailed Bautrant. He did mention my ligaments were incredibly tight when he released my left PN. Makes sense it could be the case on my right side.

Will see what time tells us.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Ouch, yes, that would be a long way to travel again. I wonder if post-op your gait and pelvic alignment have changed causing your other side to start being painful. If so, hopefully over time your body will adjust.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
avalove

Post by avalove »

Here’s Bautrants reply:

“You can have some shooting nerve pain both side. Both pudendal nerves have been stretched during delivery (left side was entrapped and needed surgical liberation). Actually, you are in regenerative period with these typical symptoms.
Use cold application and usual treatment”

I suppose when you look at the sacral plexus, there are a lot of nerves involved. My fingers are crossed this new sensation is just part of the nerve regeneration process 🤞
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

That would make sense, especially if Bautrant used a procedure similar to Possover (laparoscopic) and came close to the sacral plexus area.

Violet

Return to “SURGERY”