Suppositories

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
jaxi123

Suppositories

Post by jaxi123 »

What suppositories are helping anyone since B And O’s are no longer available.
Gurma

Re: Suppositories

Post by Gurma »

What are "B and O's" ?

I have been on Baclofen and Diazepam suppositories for about 4 months.

They have helped relax my pelvic muscles, but I am still constantly in pain.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Gurma,

B & O - belladonna and opium suppositories

What diagnostics tests have you had so far and do you know if you have pudendal neuralgia?

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Gurma

Post by Gurma »

Violet M wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:54 am Hi Gurma,

B & O - belladonna and opium suppositories

What diagnostics tests have you had so far and do you know if you have pudendal neuralgia?

Violet
My diagnosis is pudendal nerve irritation caused by pelvic floor dysfunction.
I have had pain in my penis for over a year, and finally got a diagnosis in November.
Internal pelvic exam revealed pretty much all muscles in a constant state of spasm.
Been doing PT, and have had 2 nerve blocks without much luck.
2-3 Sessions of dry needling so far.
I'm on max dose Gabapentin and slowly upping Nortriptyline dosage.

I had a pelvic MRI that didn't reveal anything.
A lower spinal MRI that had some issues in L5-S1, but nothing they thought was causing the issue.

So as far as diagnosis, it's all been based on symptoms and the internal pelvic exams.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

History can also be important in determining the diagnosis -- for instance if you exercise a lot or had a fall or injury, that can be significant.

It's always hard to figure out whether the nerve irritation (such as from a tight ligamental grip) is what is causing the pelvic floor muscles to spasm, or whether the tight pelvic floor muscles are causing the nerve irritation.

Most people I know of did not have any long term relief from pudendal nerve blocks. If you had a short period of relief, even a few hours, that can be a sign that you have pudendal neuralgia. To determine if the neuralgia might be due to a nerve entrapment, the best article I know of for that is at the following link: https://www.pudendalhope.info/wp-conten ... iteria.pdf

During the internal pelvic exams did they press on the pudendal nerve at the ischial spine? What about along the alcock's canal? Those are the two most likely sites of pudendal nerve entrapment.

If you have tight pelvic floor muscles with no nerve entrapment, then Botox might bring you some pain relief because it relaxes the muscles for several months. It's not entirely without risk so you would have to do your own risk vs. benefit analysis but it's pretty much that way with most medical treatments.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Gurma

Post by Gurma »

Violet M wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:46 am History can also be important in determining the diagnosis -- for instance if you exercise a lot or had a fall or injury, that can be significant.

It's always hard to figure out whether the nerve irritation (such as from a tight ligamental grip) is what is causing the pelvic floor muscles to spasm, or whether the tight pelvic floor muscles are causing the nerve irritation.

Most people I know of did not have any long term relief from pudendal nerve blocks. If you had a short period of relief, even a few hours, that can be a sign that you have pudendal neuralgia. To determine if the neuralgia might be due to a nerve entrapment, the best article I know of for that is at the following link: https://www.pudendalhope.info/wp-conten ... iteria.pdf

During the internal pelvic exams did they press on the pudendal nerve at the ischial spine? What about along the alcock's canal? Those are the two most likely sites of pudendal nerve entrapment.

If you have tight pelvic floor muscles with no nerve entrapment, then Botox might bring you some pain relief because it relaxes the muscles for several months. It's not entirely without risk so you would have to do your own risk vs. benefit analysis but it's pretty much that way with most medical treatments.

Violet
No history of injury here in an acute sense. My back is not great, and my knee is messed up, and I stand all day. The overall idea is that due to this I have been putting pressure on my pelvic floor for years and finally pushed it too far.

It took a year of doctoring searching, MRI's etc. before I finally landed at a pelvic pain doc.

I'm not sure what sites were pressed on, but it was many. All of them hurt... a lot. I was shocked how badly each press hurt. Pretty much every single one.

It's not currently believed that I have PNE, but I'll take a look at the PDF you linked.

Both times I got the nerve block I was actually at a very low spot for pain... so it was hard to tell.

There was a dry needling session I had where afterward I had 2-4 hours of complete relief, and for the first time I can remember: not only did I have pain relief, but everything felt "normal" (hard to explain).

I'm scheduled for another block in a few weeks. I will talk to the doc about what I should expect in the immediate period after. The blocks I get, also have steroids which take 5-7 days to have an effect.

I have another dry needling session today, fingers crossed that eventually I get out of this.
FinalCountdown

Post by FinalCountdown »

Before my surgery, I took compounded Ketamine, Baclofen, and Lidocaine suppositories, and they didn’t do a thing for the pain.
onlysams

Post by onlysams »

Glycerin or Fleet suppositories are good alternatives.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”