Advice on type of nerve conduction study (NCS) and/or electromyography (EMG) for pelvic pain?

PNMLT, EMG, SSEP, and other Nerve function testing.
The different techniques, results and opinions.
nope

Advice on type of nerve conduction study (NCS) and/or electromyography (EMG) for pelvic pain?

Post by nope »

I was supposed to see a neurologist for a NCS/EMG and then when they found out it was for pelvic pain they said they couldn't do it. They said they only do hands and feet and that a pelvic NCS/EMG would be a completely different type of test. I hadn't heard of this before and had just assumed they'd be able to test anything. Is there a certain 'type' of NCS that I'm supposed to be searching or asking for so they don't book me in for something they don't know how to assess? Should I specifically be asking for pudendal nerve NCS/EMG? Or pelvic?

I was also searching for a hospital that could do a NCS and was asked what type I wanted. I didn't know what that meant and asked what the types were, and it seemed the receptionist asking didn't really know either. When I googled I saw that there are motor, sensory, and mixed NCSs but I don't know if that's a relevant differentiation for pelvic pain or if I'm supposed to be searching for that level of detail to book an appointment? Anyone else know or have experience with this?
Violet M

Re: Advice on type of nerve conduction study (NCS) and/or electromyography (EMG) for pelvic pain?

Post by Violet M »

Try Dr. Conor O'Brien. https://www.drconorobrien.com/

He can do electrodiagnostic testing for this condition. He is in Dublin.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
nope

Re: Advice on type of nerve conduction study (NCS) and/or electromyography (EMG) for pelvic pain?

Post by nope »

I wouldn't be able to travel to Ireland, and also a completely different healthcare system from the UK.

I'm trying to find whether it needs to be specified that it's a pelvic NCS/EMG since there seem to be plenty of neurophysiologists who say they do them in their profiles but it's not clear whether it being pelvic somehow changes whether they are willing/able to if it's outside their area of expertise. So far when I've asked I haven't gotten clarification about this, just a yes/no about whether they'll do it.
Violet M wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 6:34 am Try Dr. Conor O'Brien. https://www.drconorobrien.com/

He can do electrodiagnostic testing for this condition. He is in Dublin.

Violet
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Maybe you could call Dr. O'Brien's office and see if they know of anyone in the UK who does NCS or EMG for pelvic pain?
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “NEUROLOGICAL TESTING”