Think You Have PN or PS + Back Pain? READ THIS

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
cwb125

Think You Have PN or PS + Back Pain? READ THIS

Post by cwb125 »

I am absolutely gitty right now because I think I just figured out my medical issues about an hour ago without the help of a doctor! :)

My issues have always been a little different or more than PN. When my symptoms started, I had a L5/S1 protruding disk + spondylolisthesis;], an umbilical hernia, several inguinal hernias, nerve entrapments wrapped around my spermatic cord on both sides, a crooked tailbone, and my bladder neck was obstructed for an unknown reason.

I have had surgery on everything but my back, which, along with pelvic floor therapy, has alleviated my pelvic pain. My primary issue, however, was not back pain but rather extreme sensitivity to the touch, an inability to bind/twist my legs, pain after intercourse (but not erectile dysfunction), and urinary issues.

While I have considered back surgery, some, like our own Violet, have cautioned against it because it can cause PN and/or make the symptoms worse. Since learning about pirformis syndrome, I became convinced for a myriad of reasons that was my issue. The one problem is pirformis syndrome is genetic and usually unilateral while my symptoms are bilateral. While I would have been a statistical anomaly if I had pirformis syndrome on both sides, it never hurts to hope! :D

My rear starting burning while I was working today. In the past, everything hurt because my pelvic floor muscles would get in on the action. After several years of pelvic floor therapy, however, I do not have pelvic floor tension as much anymore. Interestingly enough, urinating seem to make me feel better. Since I work from home, I spent my lunch break Googling something like "Pirformism Muscle Pushing on Bladder."

What I found is INCREDIBLE for a person suffering from PN/PS like symptoms along with back issues.

Dr. Tigran Garabekyan of Southern California Hip Institute in Los Angeles, California described Pirformis Syndrome about as well as anyone. The last four paragraphs, however, I think will change my life forever:
But it is also likely that such individuals actually have small herniations in a spinal disc which compress the sciatic nerve and lead to a piriformis spasm secondarily.

There is scant evidence indicating a specific relationship between the strength or weakness of particular hip muscles and sciatic pain centered on the piriformis muscle. Additionally, this sports-related explanation is not useful in understanding the piriformis syndrome in people who are not particularly physically active (which is frequently the case).

A piriformis muscle spasm can result in the impingement of the sciatic nerve as well as the pudendal nerve. The pudendal nerve controls the muscles of the bladder and bowels. Pudendal nerve entrapment symptoms include numbness and tingling in the saddle areas and groin. It can also cause urinary and fecal incontinence.

Piriformis syndrome may also be related to direct injury to the piriformis muscle, such as from a knife wound or in a fall.

Board certified orthopedic surgeon Dr. Tigran Garabekyan receives patients from Los Angeles, Century City, CA, and nearby areas for orthopedic surgery.
Link: https://www.socalhip.com/what-is-piriformis-syndrome/

I am on cloud 9 right now! This is EXACTLY what is wrong with me! :) I will let the board know what treatment is needed to fix this, as I am still going to two Piriformis Syndrome Doctors in Houston, TX this week, but it sounds like I am on my way to recovery. Hopefully, there is no nerve damage from this process! :*(

PS. I played football and basketball along with running track in high school and hurt myself doing crazy P90X kind of stuff and bicycling in an attempt to impress a woman.

Links to My Other Posts:
*viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10406&p=64938#p64938
*viewtopic.php?t=11223

*I am not a doctor, thank God, and am only making people aware of this fact. Nothing in this should be considered medical advice!*
happyman

Re: Think You Have PN or PS + Back Pain? READ THIS

Post by happyman »

Happy to hear you found something promising. I am wondering if this doctor can help me with my own problem although its quite different. im also in los angeles so could be worth a shot to see him. keep us updated!
onlysams

Re: Think You Have PN or PS + Back Pain? READ THIS

Post by onlysams »

It's great to see how excited you are. I can relate to your back issues since I also had them due to a sports injury. Physical therapy helped me immensely, especially with strengthening my core and improving mobility.
It's fantastic that you've already been doing pelvic floor therapy! Physical therapy is helpful for your back and piriformis issues, too. I highly recommend the clinic I used. Their team was super helpful. You can check them out. Here is the link: https://wrightswellness.ca/services/physiotherapy-etobicoke-toronto/. I hope your appointments in Houston go well and lead you toward recovery!

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”