had my pn surgery

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Karyn

Re: had my pn surgery

Post by Karyn »

chillijava wrote:from what i have read it seems that the increased pain thing is normal after surgery but i wondered how long it lasted?
Well, it's different for everyone, but generally speaking, the increased pain (especially burning!) starts to subside after about 3 months.
I also did very well with the surgery, Andrea. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Like you, I was cognizant of the increased pain and new symptoms, but they did subside, eventually. There is hope, hon! Also like you, I don't tolerate meds well at all. I ended up shelving the prescribed meds after a week and found that ibuprofen or Naproxen was much more effective for controlling pain. Have you tried that?
As Violet pointed out, you'll experience many ups and downs during your recovery and it's very important not to get discouraged. This too is normal. I have much hope for you that you'll continue to improve as time goes on. Please try to stay as comfortable as possible and surround yourself with things you love, make you happy and comfortable.
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Andrea, I can't really put a date on how long it took but the increased burning slowly subsided over a period of months. I did not rely heavily on meds after surgery but some of the natural things I did like the hot/cold treatments and ice helped.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
chillijava

Post by chillijava »

hi karyn
sitting here with the much loved ice pack, it helps some. i cant take ibuprohen or anything like that as i suffer from ibs and those types of meds make me flare!
thanks for your kind words i hope i dont have to wait another 10 weeks for the burning to go, i am fed up already of feeling as though i darent do anything in case it makes the flare worse, i dont mind having the same pain as before the op i just dont want it at a higher level than before.
why does the increased pain happen does anyone know

andrea
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

chillijava wrote: why does the increased pain happen does anyone know
There may be some trauma to the nerve during surgery.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
chillijava

Post by chillijava »

thanks violet, so its like a bad flare then i suppose, today has not been too bad but it really burns now after i have a bm, it makes my burning lady bits worse!
andrea

Return to “UK & IRELAND”