anti seizure meds

Discuss different Pain Management Options; Medication options including side effects and Worldwide variances in names etc.
russ1116

anti seizure meds

Post by russ1116 »

Anyone else go absolutely Bat crazy on non opioid meds the push on us, Esp anti seizure meds?
Worst for me is carbamazepine and baclofen... The make me homicidal!
I mean the war on drugs is causing them to give us toxic crap hat has no effectiveness in my opinion...
Any stories, suggestions?
I also have ADHD and cannot take ADHD meds anymore as it cause nerve pain to get worse, so its a double whammy for me :(
Everything lowers dopamine even more!!
faithwalker

Re: anti seizure meds

Post by faithwalker »

Dear All. This is a belated reply but I want to post in case anyone else is struggling w anticonvulsant.

Keppra was the medication that gave me a similar experience. Emotional side effects were absolutely frightful. Hair trigger temper but also a wee bit of pain improvement.

Changed dosage & side effects changed but still seriously awful but less awful for ppl around me. Thought I could manage it since it was helping some (which I was desperate for), but it was the wrong move. The harm simply turned inward & less visible. Kept going for some time & thought I got used to it... but it did NOT go away.

Before long, it was straight up torture. Internal rage and suicidal ideation. Daily. And I didn't realize it was the rx bc it didn't seem totally unreasonable. In fact, every professional I talked to saw the misery I was experiencing internally as legitimate given the complete wreck my life was.

Oxcarbazapine has been helpful but no matter what you do, stay attentive if you're taking anticonvulsant. As soon as the medication stopped, the compulsive thoughts disappeared.

It was my long-time family pharmacist who suggested it may be playing a role... following an emergency hospitalization(!!!). He pulled me aside.. Tiny pharmacy, super awkward for us both and I've never been more grateful.

The relief Keppra permitted was not enough to risk destroying myself outside in OR inside out.
Fighting the reality of intermittently disabling, continually confounding chronic pain issues since1992. PN (& debilitation without reprieve) since 2012.

Return to “PAIN MANAGEMENT & MEDICATIONS”