Internal ice pack! Yeah

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Faith

Re: Internal ice pack! Yeah

Post by Faith »

My PT gave me plastic test tubes (about 15ml) and said to fill it with 3ml of alcohol and the rest water and freeze then insert vaginally. I haven't tried it yet...too scared. Anyone else done this. She says it's really good for PFD/PN pain.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Judith

Post by Judith »

Faith, that internal ice pack method sounds great to me. I've heard of using condoms that have been frozen but not what was suggested to you. I've also just filled a narrow water bottle and just placed that on the perineum as a method too but I like what your pt suggested
quilter

Post by quilter »

My pelvic PTs husband works in medical supply and she provides patients with screw-cap plastic test tubes to use for perfectly shaped ice. No more trying to mold condoms/balloons. Hers are 1" x 4-1/2". I keep several in the freezer. Can use internally, but mostly I lay them on the labia. With ice/alcohol they tend to thaw in 15-20 minutes, the max. time you should apply ice. She gets them in bulk, but here are 2 online sources for cheap sets of 6. They are actually the mold for what becomes soda bottles, so search for Baby Soda Bottles if you want something different.

www.Amazon.com: 25mm X 150mm (1" X 5.75") 50ml Polycarbonate Test Tubes with Screw Caps 6/pk $9.95. Brand Name: Baby Soda Bottle Capacity: 50 milliliters Mfr Part #: 6543K Sold by SCIENCESHOPUSA

www.hometrainingtools.com/giant-test-tu ... CE-TTBSB06/ Giant Test Tubes (Baby Soda Bottles), pack of 6 Item# CE-TTBSB06 $4.95 13.5 cm long (5.3") and 26 mm in diameter (1") with a capacity of 33 ml (just over 1 ounce). They can be heated (up to 200° F) or frozen, and can be reused again and again. You get a pack of six baby soda bottle test tubes with caps. Ages 6+.
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Hi
Thx to quilter and all who posted about this item.
I assume this can also be helpful if you put it near the anal area of the perineum..(not internally tho!) That's my most painful spot
I would just use it on the outside and put it against the painful area, instead of an ice pack.
Thx!
Kathy
quilter

Post by quilter »

It's a good size for me, fits in narrower areas without icing places that don't need it. If it's too cold initially for a super sensitive area, put it in a snack-size ziplock after freezing. My burning labia and hyperarousal have always been one-sided; this also helps the anal burning after multiple BMs.
Acute left vag/rectal pain 1999 lowering into chair. Dx 2006 with PNE/VV by PTs, Dr. Garcia, Weiss, Hibner. Many shots. PNMLT: left PN barely fuctional. Left TIG by Dr. Hibner 2007 (ST lig). 75% improved 1 year postop, slow decline. Pelvic floor Botox 2010. Left sacral SCS 2011 after good trial; removed 2012 due to NEW left S2 & rectal pain, bowel freq. Re-do left TIG by Dr. H & 5-day ketamine 2013; 1-1/2 years postop 70% improved. New post-SCS Sx are worse than PN Sx.
Grace

Post by Grace »

For the anal area, my PT suggested Mr Frosty. A surgical glove and fill a single finger (start with pinky!) with water and tie off and freeze. Then be very brave and gentle and self-compassionate, and place it in there--just an inch or so, to your tolerance.

Now, don't get the silly idea in your head to cut off the rest of the glove first. I'm not exactly a nit wit, but I thought this was a brilliant idea *while I was on drugs!!!*. Thankfully, the sane part of my brain led me to run the idea by my husband first. You don't want to go to the emergency room because your butt swallowed a finger of ice!!! Ew!!!
Anal/rectal pain began 12/12 | Pain advanced to entire pelvis by 2/13 |
PF PT 2/13 to 7/13 |Acupuncture 7/13 to present
Pain is CONSTANT, made worse by standing, walking, kneeling
UNBEARABLE with sitting |Cushions mock me
20+ years of fibromyalgia | Interested in not losing my marbles...
My goal: To find creative ways to live and work with PN, while pursuing wellness.
quilter

Post by quilter »

The glove sounds like a good idea. I have 2 thinner plastic ice devices made for hemorrhoids (I think Dr. Leonard's or one of those random catalogs) bought years ago. They seem to thaw out after 10 minutes max, but have a wide knob on the opposite end for easy & sterile insertion.
Quilter 2

Post by Quilter 2 »

Quilter;
Thanks for the great idea. I would lay them on the outside. I'm going to check with my pharmacists and see if she has any test tubes laying around.
We just got home from a month long trip and my little girl has not settled down yet.
Thanks;
Doreen
Five pudendal nerve infiltrations with good results.
Sixth Injection left me with more burning, more pain, pain in buttocks.
Botox shot didn't notice any difference
Physical Therapy - Aquatic and Myofascial
External and Internal Manual Therapy on the obturator muscle.
3T MRI with Dr. Potter
2nd opinion with Dr. Hibner in Phoenix
Loretta Robertson PT Phoenix
Decompression surgery Nov. 1, 2011
trishj46

Post by trishj46 »

I know the most pain is sitting! However I have spinal pain from surgery. Could not live Without ice.
But am looking for a good lounge chair for my lower spine---am in agony! Put chair all the way back like laying,
but lower spine just worse! Get up and feel like a piece of concrete, no relief from any medication.
Any suggestions???? Thank you!

trishj46
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

Quilter 2 wrote:Hi to all;
My pt gave me the receipe a while back, using a condom. Well, I don't know the secret to the procedure but I sure as **** couldn't get it to work. My husband and I ended up laughing until our bellies hurt. My pt said I probably had to much alcohol in it and therefore making it floppy.
I use the ice packs that are sent to me with my compunded medicine. They are called Uline cold packs. They are about 3-4 inches long. I fold them in half and they fit perfectly in my undies without showing a bulge, especially if I'm wearing a bathing suit or pants. I'm pretty sure Uline has a catalog that you can buy them from.
Sincerly
Doreen
Yep those ice packs are nice.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”