Recent Surgery *Hoping for Success*

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
Westbluu

Re: Recent Surgery *Hoping for Success*

Post by Westbluu »

Violet M wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:53 am I had the trans-ischio rectal fossa approach the is described at the following link (scroll down on the page):

https://www.pudendalhope.info/pudendal- ... n-surgery/
Thank you, Violet. I'm impatiently waiting for my recovery. This disease is very difficult and tiring. You give good information. It has been 20 days since the surgery and I had an MRI. The scan showed obdurator muscle edema, edema in the presacral region, sciatica, irritation and inflammation of the gluteal nerve bundles.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hmmm, that's a lot going on. I wonder if it's the result of surgery and it's just going to take time for the edema and inflammation to go down. What does the surgeon think?

I did some things after surgery that I think contributed to the healing.

1. Hyperbaric oxygen treatments. My insurance paid for half of it based on literature that shows it can help with nerve healing. I do not think it would be effective before surgery if you have a nerve entrapment that needs to be released. But since you are post-op it might be helpful. It's not cheap though.
2. Alternating hot/cold sitz baths. I described them here: viewtopic.php?t=5267
The link to the shallow storage bins is expired but they are just shallow plastic bins that you can find in lots of stores like walmart, home depot, or lowes. Hydrotherapy can be very effective for healing because it increases blood flow to the area and removes toxins.
3. Rest. I didn't do much the first few months because movement was irritating to the nerve.

It is very difficult and tiring. I used to say it was exhausting. I believe you will have better days ahead, but I know it's hard to be patient. Saying some prayers for you.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Westbluu

Post by Westbluu »

Violet M wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:16 am Hmmm, that's a lot going on. I wonder if it's the result of surgery and it's just going to take time for the edema and inflammation to go down. What does the surgeon think?

I did some things after surgery that I think contributed to the healing.

1. Hyperbaric oxygen treatments. My insurance paid for half of it based on literature that shows it can help with nerve healing. I do not think it would be effective before surgery if you have a nerve entrapment that needs to be released. But since you are post-op it might be helpful. It's not cheap though.
2. Alternating hot/cold sitz baths. I described them here: viewtopic.php?t=5267
The link to the shallow storage bins is expired but they are just shallow plastic bins that you can find in lots of stores like walmart, home depot, or lowes. Hydrotherapy can be very effective for healing because it increases blood flow to the area and removes toxins.
3. Rest. I didn't do much the first few months because movement was irritating to the nerve.

It is very difficult and tiring. I used to say it was exhausting. I believe you will have better days ahead, but I know it's hard to be patient. Saying some prayers for you.

Violet
You are a very good person, thank you very much. The surgeon didn't say anything about the MRI, he got angry because I had an MRI.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

That's sad that the surgeon would be mad you had an MRI. I think it is reasonable to expect the swelling and edema to subside the farther out you get from surgery. So, I think there is still reason for hope.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Westbluu

Post by Westbluu »

Violet M wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:57 am That's sad that the surgeon would be mad you had an MRI. I think it is reasonable to expect the swelling and edema to subside the farther out you get from surgery. So, I think there is still reason for hope.

Violet
The pain hits the hardest in the area I marked with the green arrow. I sent a message to my pain doctor and he said there was nothing we could do. Pain, stinging, burning, perineum, penis, anus as well
I am attaching the image
Attachments
Screenshot_2023-12-08-10-45-32-525_com.whatsapp.jpg
Screenshot_2023-12-08-10-45-32-525_com.whatsapp.jpg (900.93 KiB) Viewed 915 times
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

So did the MRI show edema on both sides? The area you are pointing to looks like where I had a lot of pain from the obturator internus muscle being in spasm. Here is a diagram that shows OI muscle pain referral. http://www.triggerpoints.net/muscle/obturator-internus
My OI pain was primarily up where the leg meets the buttocks -- but not down the back of the leg. So I am wondering if your pain is partly due to the obturator internus muscle edema. If it is post-op edema I think that alternating hot/cold sitz baths could help to lessen the edema because that would activate circulation to the area.

So won't they even prescribe any pain medication?

I have not tried it but I have heard from other people that CBD can help relieve pain and it is now legal in some states. If it doesn't have the THC in it, then it shouldn't make you high. There are some cautions to consider with CBD that you can read here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... q-20446700

If your doctors won't prescribe anything you could also try lidocaine pain patches or creams.
Westbluu

Post by Westbluu »

Violet M wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:18 am So did the MRI show edema on both sides? The area you are pointing to looks like where I had a lot of pain from the obturator internus muscle being in spasm. Here is a diagram that shows OI muscle pain referral. http://www.triggerpoints.net/muscle/obturator-internus
My OI pain was primarily up where the leg meets the buttocks -- but not down the back of the leg. So I am wondering if your pain is partly due to the obturator internus muscle edema. If it is post-op edema I think that alternating hot/cold sitz baths could help to lessen the edema because that would activate circulation to the area.

So won't they even prescribe any pain medication?

I have not tried it but I have heard from other people that CBD can help relieve pain and it is now legal in some states. If it doesn't have the THC in it, then it shouldn't make you high. There are some cautions to consider with CBD that you can read here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... q-20446700

If your doctors won't prescribe anything you could also try lidocaine pain patches or creams.
MRI showed edema only in the left obdurator muscle. I only use Lyrica as a pain reliever and voltaren pills as an anti-inflammatory. Yes, the pain is similar to the OI muscle, but my pain is a little closer to the perineum. So, does this edema go away on its own?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Westbluu wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:36 am The pain hits the hardest in the area I marked with the green arrow. I sent a message to my pain doctor and he said there was nothing we could do. Pain, stinging, burning, perineum, penis, anus as well
The areas you are describing are innervated by the pudendal nerve. If the pain you marked with the green arrow is more toward the perineum, that sounds like the area innervated by the pudendal nerve too.

Some people get better nerve pain relief if lyrica is combined with duloxetine (cymbalta). You could consider trying that if you haven't already.
Westbluu

Post by Westbluu »

Violet M wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:34 am
Westbluu wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:36 am The pain hits the hardest in the area I marked with the green arrow. I sent a message to my pain doctor and he said there was nothing we could do. Pain, stinging, burning, perineum, penis, anus as well
The areas you are describing are innervated by the pudendal nerve. If the pain you marked with the green arrow is more toward the perineum, that sounds like the area innervated by the pudendal nerve too.

Some people get better nerve pain relief if lyrica is combined with duloxetine (cymbalta). You could consider trying that if you haven't already.
yes pain towards perineum However, sometimes it also occurs on the coccyx side. I already use Lyrica and Cymbalta together☺️. CBD oil is not legal in Turkey, unfortunately it is not available in our country. Does edema in the obdurator muscle go away on its own?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Westbluu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:54 am Does edema in the obdurator muscle go away on its own?
I think it depends on what is causing it. If it is a result of surgery and there are no other contributing factors, hopefully it will go away with time. But if there is something like scar tissue or some other structure impeding the microvascular blood/ tissue exchange, causing chronic inflammation, then it could be a problem. Hydrotherapy can be really helpful in taking away swelling so you might want to try the alternating hot/cold sitz baths I suggested previously.

Violet

Return to “SURGERY”