Pudendal nerve block scheduled for the first time

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
matthewroots77

Re: Pudendal nerve block scheduled for the first time

Post by matthewroots77 »

Violet M wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:03 am Good luck with PT, Matthew. If it helps that will be great. At the very least, hopefully they will be knowledgeable about PN and be able to give you a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Violet
Thanks violet
I've found someone who's very geared towards mens health and seems to have experience in PN,it's driving me mad at the moment,so wish I could turn back time.
All I have is a constant weird sensation in my penis tip its either cold and has a stinging feeling to it or I have the sensation to frequent urination I'm not so if the sensation being where it is increases the urge to urinate or its to do with what's causing the actual problem. Hopefully I can find some light at the end of the tunnel
Anxiety

Post by Anxiety »

Thanks Violet
It is hard to say if the nerve block made my sitting pain go away or it was the chiropractor or my inactivity but I do not have any sitting pain currently. The penal pain I have is similar to what I had prior to my prosectomy surgery. I seem to be at the point prior to the prostatectomy where the penal pain I had the frequency, urgency, lack of sleep with the addition of stress incontinence. I have started to do my walking again and exercises and will see if the sitting pain remains inactive. The lack of sleep is very debilitating and is of the most concern to me since it impacts my safety. The lack of continence stresses me but I can control it by wearing protection. These items seem to be more prevalent as I am stressed. I need to learn not to be stressed by these things. The nerve seems to be hypersensitive to tension or any pressure. I also get random sharp pains in the perinium area. I need to positive and if the sitting pain remains gone this is a plus. Also my psa has shown no signs of prostate cancer to date even though the cancer got outside the prostate.
Thank you for giving me advice. I am still trying to figure out how to get better but any positive results is helpful.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

matthewroots77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:05 pm All I have is a constant weird sensation in my penis tip its either cold and has a stinging feeling to it or I have the sensation to frequent urination I'm not so if the sensation being where it is increases the urge to urinate or its to do with what's causing the actual problem. Hopefully I can find some light at the end of the tunnel
Can't remember what medications you are taking, Matthew. There are some meds that might calm down those feelings you are having and at least make life tolerable while you are waiting for answers.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Anxiety wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:33 pm I need to learn not to be stressed by these things. The nerve seems to be hypersensitive to tension or any pressure. I also get random sharp pains in the perinium area. I need to positive and if the sitting pain remains gone this is a plus. Also my psa has shown no signs of prostate cancer to date even though the cancer got outside the prostate.
It's pretty tough not to be stressed out by pain, hypersensitivity. It's admirable that you have some goals but don't beat yourself up too much if you can't always stay relaxed and positive.

That's great that there are no signs of prostate cancer to date!

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
matthewroots77

Post by matthewroots77 »

Violet M wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:46 am
matthewroots77 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:05 pm All I have is a constant weird sensation in my penis tip its either cold and has a stinging feeling to it or I have the sensation to frequent urination I'm not so if the sensation being where it is increases the urge to urinate or its to do with what's causing the actual problem. Hopefully I can find some light at the end of the tunnel
Can't remember what medications you are taking, Matthew. There are some meds that might calm down those feelings you are having and at least make life tolerable while you are waiting for answers.

Violet
Hi violet
I'm on amitriptyline at night which has got my sleep back on track and I hardly have any symptoms at night and during the day I'm on Gabapentin but tbh the Gabapentin doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.
Not sure what's really helping tbh
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Matthew,

Gabapentin didn't help me either. A lot of people seem to have better results with pregabalin, a newer related drug. It might be harder to get though because it's a controlled substance. Amitriptyline, a tricyclic antidepressant can be very helpful with urinary symptoms. I took an SSRI antidepressant, escitalopram, which helped a lot with urinary symptoms. You just have to be careful if you quit taking all of these drugs to wean off of them slowly.

That's good that you can at least sleep at night.

Violet
matthewroots77

Post by matthewroots77 »

Violet M wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:11 am Matthew,

Gabapentin didn't help me either. A lot of people seem to have better results with pregabalin, a newer related drug. It might be harder to get though because it's a controlled substance. Amitriptyline, a tricyclic antidepressant can be very helpful with urinary symptoms. I took an SSRI antidepressant, escitalopram, which helped a lot with urinary symptoms. You just have to be careful if you quit taking all of these drugs to wean off of them slowly.

That's good that you can at least sleep at night.

Violet
Hi violet
I don't know if anyone has ever said that your very kind and helpful and I personally appreciate you taking the time to respond to my posts.
I've upped my dosage advised by my pain management guy which funny enough it's reduced the weird sensation a bit.
I would like to eventually stop taking any tablets if possible as while I was experimenting with different tablets and as I was becoming more and more depressed and anxious I unfortunately developed a bit of ringing in my ears which is very annoying especially when it's quiet.

Thanks again for your time
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Matthew,

Unfortunately, ringing in the ears can be caused by certain antidepressants, including amitriptyline so I don't blame you for wanting to get off the meds.

How did your visit with the PT go? Did they think you have a pudendal nerve issue or do they think it's a problem higher in your back?

Violet
matthewroots77

Post by matthewroots77 »

Violet M wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:20 am Hi Matthew,

Unfortunately, ringing in the ears can be caused by certain antidepressants, including amitriptyline so I don't blame you for wanting to get off the meds.

How did your visit with the PT go? Did they think you have a pudendal nerve issue or do they think it's a problem higher in your back?

Violet
I'm going tomorrow,it is weird as it does feel very mechanical and sometimes it does feel back related the mri did pick up a small bulge in my lower back, but everyone seems to believe it's been there years and is not related however it may become cause of everything.
For the last few days I've had very minimal symptoms and Ikess urinary symptoms any way hopefully tomorrow will be a eye opener.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Matthew, that's hopeful that your symptoms have been better. I hope you gain some valuable info from PT. I think it can be valuable to get a PT evaluation because sometimes they can give you important information that doctors can't give you. However, since your symptoms have been a little calmer lately it might be wise to be careful about doing a lot of PT exercises that could kick up your pain more. I have had several experiences with PT where the exercises/treatment they gave me were actually making me worse. I have had other experiences where the exercises/treatments they gave me were really helpful. So, proceed with caution, and I think if PT flares you up, back off on it.

Violet

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”