Was surgery the right choice for you?

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
optimus

Re: Was surgery the right choice for you?

Post by optimus »

Hi violet,

The Nantes criteria for PNE is it full proof that is like there is no person who has no nerve entrapment but meets criteria.

Pain in the anatomical distribution of the pudendal nerve
Pain that is worse when sitting
Pain that does not wake the patient up at night
No objective sensory loss on clinical examination
Pain that improves with an anesthetic pudendal nerve block
April

Post by April »

Hi Optimus,

It would be unlikely, but I don't think there is anything quite that absolute in this area of medicine. There are definitely people in the reverse situation---those who have pne but don't meet all the criteria. For example, I believe I had (and may still have some) entrapment, but I can sit without pain. (You can also find pre-surgery posts from me that note that I woke up regularly at night in pain, but I believe in retrospect that that was the pain from panniculitis that I developed from my constant use of ice. So, I don't think I was different on criterion.)

Do you have some of those symptoms?

April
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Optimus,

I agree with April because I also woke up at night with pain. I wouldn't say the criteria in the article is 100% proof that you have entrapment if you meet all the criteria, or you don't have entrapment if you don't. You have to consider the history of the patient and what triggered their symptoms. You also have to consider the clinical exam results. I think the criteria are guidelines to go by, but recently adelphos2 posted that the criteria may be revised. I haven't heard what the revisions will be though.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.

Return to “SURGERY”