Nerve block help

Nerve blocks using many techniques, and medications - options discussed in detail
Question

Nerve block help

Post by Question »

Hi - I had a pudendal nerve block a couple of days ago at the Ischial Spine and so far not much difference apart from a bit of numbness post op. Is this normal?
Faith

Re: Nerve block help

Post by Faith »

My experience was numbness for about 5 hours since they used bupivicaine (a longer acting anesthetic), but I had no lasting relief from either of my blocks (they were done at alcock's canal). In fact I flared pretty bad after one of my blocks. I think most people on here do not have a great response to blocks unfortuantely. PN blocks are becoming more of a diagnostic tool than an actual treatment for PN or at least for true PNE.
-11/08 vulvodynia began around conception of first & only pregnancy
-3/10 sacral/sitting pain began after SIJD manipulation
-Progressive widespread pain- central sensitization
-PT, meds, injections, botox, ESWT = debilitated.
-5/12 Potter MRI - scarring of left ST, coccygeous & posterior alcock
-12/12 - left FAI/labral hip tear surgery
2014-2019 managed w/ gabapentin, massage, and lifestyle mod
2020 - big flare up
www.thepurposeofpain.blogspot.com
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

So, when you say numbness post-op, do you mean that after the block you were numb for a little while? Was your pain improved temporarily too?

If you have even a short time of relief immediately after a nerve block that is diagnostic that the pudendal nerve is likely the source or at least one of the sources of your pain.
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Question

Post by Question »

Hi - not quite sure to make it. I was numb in the the genital area for about an hour afterwards but wore off pretty quick. Not sure whether that was because of the anesthetic or anti-inflammatory. My bottock pain and pernium pain only really come on when I am sitting and sometimes lying down. Since I was walking or lying down afterwards, I never got to work out really whether it had made a difference. A couple of days later I was back to normal pain wise - not much better or worse.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Question,

I guess that is a bit of a mystery if you were not able to try sitting afterward to see if the block helped. Typically there is a numbing agent like marcaine in the blocks that lasts up to a few hours and is for diagnostic purposes. If the pain is relieved and you have numbness in the PN distribution area for a short time after the block, that can be an indication that you have pudendal neuralgia. The anti-inflammatory (steroid) usually kicks in several days later and may either give you more long-lasting relief or it can cause a flare-up for several weeks.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Tomorrow will get an U/s guided injection at pudendal nerve and a trigger point inj at obturator internus. Dr. Hanson says if it numbs the pain, we have a good shot at letting the cortisore work at that site. If I don't get relief, the cause is most likely from Alcock's canal.

So depressing.

All from using a pickaxe in the yard. It just doesn't add up.

Thoughts anyone?

thanks,
cari
PN after using pickaxe doing yardwork 6/11
Potter MRI: Scar tissue abutting L pudendal.
Hibner consult 10/11 w/ plan: 2 mo. PT
No meds work for me
PRF X 3 times in Denver ( was pain free for 5 months after second)
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Nerve block didn't help. Damn. Must be Alcock's canal. Dr. Hanson wants to try to inject w/ultrasound in the lithotomy position in a couple of weeks. I will be his guinea pig.

MRI with Potter in September.

Ugh.

cari
No meds work for me
helenlegs 11

Post by helenlegs 11 »

He does seem to be doing the right thing by trying to eliminate separate areas of entrapment which is great to be able to narrow it down. It will then be interesting to see if that all matches up with Dr Potters scan in September.
Having all of that combined information can only be a good thing, especially if it all adds up and confirms a diagnosis.
Had too google the lithotomy position. but I guess we've nearly all been there at one time or another :D .
Have we got your Dr Hanson on the home page list ? ?
Hope you get some better results soon.
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
carolynm

Post by carolynm »

Thanks for your reply, Helen. It means so much to me to have others on here that CARE!!!!

cari
No meds work for me
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

So sorry, Cari, that the block didn't help. The time it takes to get the diagnosis figured out can be very frustrating. :evil:

Return to “NERVE BLOCKS”