Tailbone Pain

Trigger Point injections, Myofascial Massage techniques, and many more.
TinyDancer

Tailbone Pain

Post by TinyDancer »

I have tailbone pain like most others that have had PN decompression surgery. But I have faithfully gone to Physical Therapy. My PT did not want to do any internal work until today, four months after surgery, as per instructions from Dr. Hibner. She's mainly worked on muscles on the outside. But today, she did internal work. Today, she showed me how almost all of the pelvic floor muscles are attached to the tailbone and that's where the pain is coming from. Then she did several releases on the pelvic floor muscles next to the tailbone and the pain is gone! I'm not pushing it, and I only sat once to show her but now I believe that someday soon, I'll be relatively pain free.

Kate
Surgery with Dr. Micheal Hibner March 14, 2011
Am 85% better in only 5 months and so grateful to Dr. Hibner
THIS FORUM ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS!!!
My thanks to all of you.
Celeste

Re: Tailbone Pain

Post by Celeste »

TinyDancer wrote:I have tailbone pain like most others that have had PN decompression surgery.
Kate, I'm sorry that you are experiencing tailbone pain. However I would take issue with it being a common result that "most" post op patients deal with.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org
TinyDancer

Post by TinyDancer »

Celeste,

I know that you were extremely lucky to have had your child in a day and age when pelvic pain is taken seriouly. You were able to be diagnosed and have your surgery very promptly. So that very little damage, from scar tissue, if any was done to your nerve. Unfortunatly very few of us are that lucky. I really don't know of anyone on this site that has been quite as lucky as you.

Kate
My thanks to all of you.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Kate, I'm so happy to hear that you are seeing so much improvement. You've been around here forever and just thinking of you being pain-free makes me very happy as I'm sure it does you. :lol: ;)
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
nyt

Post by nyt »

This is fantastic news!!! I know I had bad tailbone pain and about 4 weeks post-op I saw my chiro and she gently pushed it back into place. Took a couple of visits before it held and when it did that's when the rectal pain really started to ease off. I just pelvic floor PT last week and we haven't started any internal work either but I am hopeful that it make more of difference because I can feel when it spasms at the bottom of my incision. But so glad to hear of the wonderful news for you. I am so happy for you!!!
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
donstore

Post by donstore »

Kate,
This is wonderful news ! As nyt said, I am so happy for you. For the pain to leave after all this time, well I guess anything is possible. Keep the faith. Never give up.

Best Wishes,

Don
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Kate,
I am so glad to hear your news, fantastic!
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

TinyDancer wrote:I believe that someday soon, I'll be relatively pain free.
This is the happiest news I've heard all day! I believe you will be, too, Kate. Isn't it a great (and somewhat strange) feeling to feel less pain somewhere ... anywhere - and to believe again after all this time?!??!?!
Hugs,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
TinyDancer

Post by TinyDancer »

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. For the first time in several months, I am glad that I had the surgery. I can't imagine trying to go through the healing without PT. Today, I think my nerve came alive where I have had pain for decades and this makes me think that it is healing.

My new motto is: No pain, no gain!

Kate
My thanks to all of you.
Celeste

Post by Celeste »

TinyDancer wrote:Celeste,

I know that you were extremely lucky to have had your child in a day and age when pelvic pain is taken seriouly. You were able to be diagnosed and have your surgery very promptly. So that very little damage, from scar tissue, if any was done to your nerve. Unfortunatly very few of us are that lucky. I really don't know of anyone on this site that has been quite as lucky as you.

Kate
Kate, you may think of me as lucky but I don't think luck has anything to do with science. I also don't see any kind of preponderance of people on this site who are post op who say they have tailbone pain as a result. That is why I take issue with you saying that "most" people do have it. I would counter that "most" do not, but I am still sorry that you have.
PNE as a result of childbirth, 2002. Treatment by the Houston team, with neurosurgery by Dr. Ansell in 2004. My left side ST and SS ligaments were found to be grown together, encasing the pudendal nerve.

I am cured. I hope you will be, too.

There are no medical answers on the forum. Your only hope is to go to a doctor. I was very happy with the Houston team, which has treated the most PNE patients (well over 400), more than any other US provider.

http://www.tipna.org

Return to “PHYSICAL THERAPY TECHNIQUES”