Nerve Block Successes?

This is an area to share and learn about new Medical Advances and Techniques where we can be educated and educate.
AroraNightfire

Nerve Block Successes?

Post by AroraNightfire »

I told myself I would come on here and post sometime hopeful. Today I had my second Bilateral Pudendal Nerve Block. The first block 6 weeks ago was not successful. This second one was. Why? Good question. My vulva was finally numb! I was able to sit down for hrs without feeling knives stabbing my buttcheeks. I was able to go urinate without having to rinse myelf and apply a frozen gelpack. It was great even though my pelvic floor and the back of my thighs felt like a dentist had injected them with Novacaine. It was great because I could actually sit without the knives. For the past nine years I have been feeling pain at my urethra after urination. Today after the block I urinated 3 different times and I felt NONE if the burning. I havent had to compress an icepack since it happened. My dear mother was so supportive, she came with me. I remember tellling her "Im going to stay up as late as I possibly can because I dont want to miss a moment without pain. I dont know if tomorrow will bring pain." Some of you might respond to this post and say, "Its just a diagnostic tool. You will feel pain tomorrow." I might feel pain tomorrow. It might return. I now know it was the pudendal nerve. It doesnt matter if the pain comes back. I will always remember that my second bilateral pudendal block allowed me to be pain free for X amount of time.

Btw I want you all to know Im writing a book on my 9yr struggle with this disorder. I tell some of my life stories in it. In each story there is some element some aspect of my pain. This pain has been a part of me for so very long now. I cant just do nothing. I have to tell my tail. I have to let others know, your not alone. Look at what Ive been through. Im still standing. I might fall. I might become injured. I might cry. I might might feel miserable compressing icepacks on my vulva daily but IM STILL STANDING.
helenlegs 11

Re: Nerve Block Successes?

Post by helenlegs 11 »

I can understand you wanting the most out of your 'numb bum' while you can :) . I hope it lasts quite a bit longer. As you say see what tomorrow brings. I doubt you could get a better diagnostic reaction. What will happen now?
Take care,
Helen
Fall 2008. Misdiagnosed with lumber spine problem. MRN June 2010 indicated pudendal entrapment at Alcocks canal. Diagnosed with complex variant piriformis syndrome with sciatic, pudendal and gluteal entrapment's by Dr Filler 2010.Guided piriformis botox injection 2011 Bristol. 2013, Nerve conduction test positive; new spinal MRI scan negative, so diagnosed for the 4th time with pelvic nerve entrapment, now recognised as Sciatic, pudendal, PFCN and cluneal nerves at piriformis level.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Thanks for your positive post -- I'm happy you had such a great response to the nerve block and I loved what you said about staying up late! :lol:
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
AroraNightfire

Post by AroraNightfire »

Well ladies, I'm not trying to be negative here. I'm just being realistic. The following day after that second block my symptoms continued. I continued with burning after/during urination. I had to use icepacks again. I've been doing the icepack compression thing the past 2 years after peeing. I've found it helps my symptoms for a little bit. I still continue with rawness in my v. I have needle like sensations along the perineum. I avoid Vaginal friction because it rezults in raw fire like pain. Sorry I'm just being real here.

If anyone has had an improvement in their pelvic floor symptoms after pudendal nerve decompression surgery with Dr Conway please don't hesitate to message me. I need to know if anyone has improved with that surgery. If one has added symptoms from that specific surgery please tell me your story. I think it might be my next step but I don't want to do this if I hear that others have become worst off after recovering from tir or tg surgery. I refuse to follow in their footsteps. I would rather spend the rest of my life compressing icepacks on my v every 2 hrs while at work like I do now. I would rather continuing using them post urination, as I do now. People don't understand, they say things like, "You can't possibly be worst off than you already are with. surgery. Just do the surgery." I'm no fool. I won't rush into something that is irreversible. Once ligaments cutt that's it, damage done. Suesurger
AroraNightfire

Post by AroraNightfire »

BTW I started working on a book this past January. Its a memoir on the past 9years of my life, from the age of 18 till now 27. I talk about when my symptoms started at age 18. I talk about my life, life stories, dr stories, sexually scandalous stories, the relationship with my bf, my mother, my dogs, me at work with my coworkers. I want people to be able to place themselves in my shoes as they read. I have 180pgs so far. I hope I won't so crazy in the process of writing it. Its not easy to talk about all the 9drs I've seen about my vulvar pain over these past 9years. I talk about physical therapy. I talk about a lot of things. Btw I think whoever said writing is therapuetic should be shot lmao its not. I have been hesitating to write about bad experiences with drs because I don't want to feel shitty. Oh well, I've done some of those stories already. I wonder if this project will ever become finished at some point in time. Its a huge project. Has anyone done anything similar? I wouldn't hesitate to look at someones story.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

So it sounds like you are finding yourself in the same boat as a lot of us -- some initial pain relief right after the nerve block but then back to square one. Sorry it didn't last longer. :(
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Karyn

Post by Karyn »

AroraNightfire wrote:If anyone has had an improvement in their pelvic floor symptoms after pudendal nerve decompression surgery with Dr Conway please don't hesitate to message me. I need to know if anyone has improved with that surgery.
I am one of Dr. Conways successful bilateral PN decompressions. I'm also close friends with more than half a dozen of his surgical patients who don't post on the this site. I can comfortably say that no one has gotten worse from surgery and the improvements have been quite impressive in all of our cases.
AroraNightfire wrote:I won't rush into something that is irreversible. Once ligaments cutt that's it, damage done.
Not sure what you're talking about here. The SS ligament is always cut, regardless of who performs the surgery. The ST is not severed, but incised just enough to allow access to decompress the nerve. After that, it's sutured and remains fully intact.
Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.
Regards,
Karyn
Ultra Sound in 03/08 showed severely retroverted, detaching uterus with mulitple fibroids and ovarian cysts.
Pressure and pain in lower abdomen and groin area was unspeakable and devastating.
Total lap hysterectomy in 06/08, but damage was already done.
EMG testing in NH in 04/10 - bilateral PN and Ilioinguals
3T MRI at HSS, NY in 09/10
Bilateral TG surgery with Dr. Conway on 03/29/11. Bilat ilioinguinal & iliohypogastric neurectomy 03/12. TCD surgery 04/14.
Bathsheba

Post by Bathsheba »

Sorry to hear that your pain returned after your second nerve block. I had two done. I was symptom free for 18 hours after the 1st one and symptom free for 4 days after the second, so I can empathize with your frustration . . . Thanks for posting your experience.

Bathsheba
Botched blowing up of bladder July/2011
Was on Lyrica 800+ Mg./day for over 2 years
Bad fall due to Lyrica dizziness, seizure
Due to low blood sugar, side effect of Lyrica
Now on gabapentin, OxyContin, tramadol
Looking for pain pump, has to be local
AroraNightfire

Post by AroraNightfire »

Karen what does ST stand for? I spoke to a woman on facebook who told me she had tir surgery with Conway and then TG surgery with him years later. After that second surgery she became much worst. She's unable to drive now. She told me that she now has sciatica because of the second surgery. She also has pelvic instability because of the ss ligament that was cutt.

I don't needed added complications. I already have to compress icepacks like 5 times against my vestibule/perineum in my 6hr shifts. I'm lucky I have such understanding coworkers. I'm always in pain. I'm already starting to feel more back of the hip pain. I think its from the second nerve block. Idk I just don't want to rush into this blind. Would it be possible for you to get me in touch with those people you say have had success with the surgery? I intend to do as much surveying as possible. Are the insicions really long and deep? How long are your scars?

I'm sorry if I've asked you this before. What were your symptoms before surgery? When did you have your surgery? What are your symptoms now?
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Hi,

I also had that wonderful numb-bumb feeling after a pudendal nerve block with a 24-48 acting anaesthetic-except on the most painful area on the p...s. But the other parts were a great relief. But like yours the effect wore of as it was only the anaesthetic acting on the nerves-the cortisone element of the block was of no benefit.

Perhaps, on that first block your doctor didn't get the anaesthetic close enough to your pudendal nerve?

I guess it's all academic now for you but these anaesthetic blocks are diagnostic aren't they? to see wether you you have PN? or entraptment?

Cheers
Last edited by Jackson on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MEDICAL ADVANCES & EDUCATION”