Memory Foam for sitting or lying?

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Painful Man

Memory Foam for sitting or lying?

Post by Painful Man »

I was wondering if people had had good results from sitting (or just lying at 45 degrees for TV viewing) with memory foam (especially recommended for medical use brands like TEMPUR)? I often need to sleep propped up due to acid reflux/hiatus hernia, and I find sending the extra weight down to my rear end just does me in the next day.

I don't recall anyone speaking of memory foam for normal sitting. Has anyone tried it out for home or car and had good (well, relatively good) results? I'd really appreciate hearing any pros or cons before I put my hand in my pocket for an adjustable bed with m. f.

All comments much appreciated.

Comfortable sitting to all.
P_M
Violet M

Re: Memory Foam for sitting or lying?

Post by Violet M »

P-M, I can really relate to what you are saying because I used to struggle with reflux and needing to be upright vs. putting pressure on the sacral area. It helps some to put the head of the bed up on 4 - 6 inch blocks. I don't have a memory foam bed but I've used a thick memory foam topper and it helps a bit although it does sink in quite a bit. As long as the memory foam bed has good support and won't sag it sounds like a good idea.

Memory foam cushions for sitting don't have enough support in my opinion. They sink in too much and you can feel the hard chair under you (I'm a thin person). I find that an egg crate cushion works better and they are pretty cheap. Here's one for $11. http://www.mountainside-medical.com/pro ... 16%22.html
This one is cool -- it has a washable cover. http://www.1800wheelchair.com/asp/view- ... nQodL2cAJg

Lots of people like gel cushions too. I prefer the egg crate because it's a little softer but still has pretty good support. I just noticed you can get egg-crate mattress toppers. Hm....I should have tried one of those during the worst of PNE. 8-)

Good luck -- I hope you can find something you like!

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Painful Man

Post by Painful Man »

Dear Violet

Thank you for your reply and info and kind thoughts. I too, am a thin person, with little bottom of my own. I will check out the link you gave me.

The UK seems to have gone memory foam mad in the last few years. I never really considered it until recently. Acid reflux predated my PNE, and I used to use a foam bed wedge if I had eaten a lot or eaten late (or drank a lot, or spicy food etc etc). However, after developing PNE, using the wedge caused me much increased pain and discomfort at the bottom end. Unfortunately, I have a circulation problem (much worsened by resorting to lots of standing in the early days of PNE), therefore the simple solution of raising the height of the bed head is a no-no for me.

I'm not really expecting to be able to sit normally on memory foam, that WOULD be a miracle. But if it gives me no additional abdominal pain after having slept elevated at...say 20 degrees (or the right number of inches), I think that would be major boost to my well-being. I 'trialled' different elevations in the shop over a couple of hours, and the levels of comfort/discomfort were not bad I'd say, as most surfaces go. Elevating myself above 45 degrees or more got tougher, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for sitting long at 75 - 90 degrees.

With most surfaces and cushions I have found sitting at around 45 degrees to be counter productive. Pain and discomfort just shifts from the perineal area to the back of the buttocks. And this is what I am wondering, could memory foam work at up to about 45 degrees...so that I can just watch TV or read? At the moment I'm largely horizontal or walking.

I never tried memory foam cushions for sitting as I've been of the same opinion as you on them sinking. I think you need min 20cm of m foam (as in a full m foam mattress) not to sink down to a hard point (to an upwards counter force, effectively). I've had some relief from egg-crate cushions, but I used to buy coccyx ones, and they have not proved effective in the end. I should give the normal one a go again and cut it out appropriately.

I have wondered about gel cushions, especially as after nearly 3 years of PNE, all my foam cut-out experiments have failed (too hard, too soft, too much pressure on other areas, they collapse when you cut out a chunk in the middle etc etc). Oh, yes, and of course, my PNE has steadily worsened. I have seen gel cushions on-line, but they all seem to be shockingly expensive, I mean hundreds of pounds. A bit dear if you want to take a knife to it just to experiment!

Enough from me now (I can't sit anymore anyway!)
Comfortable sitting to all,
P_M
alexm

Post by alexm »

Hi there,

I have a memory foam cushion similar to this one:
http://www.saintonge-medical.fr/Coussin ... -a116.html

It is really thick. I cut a hole in the middle, rather like a toilet seat and it does the trick for a half hour or so.

Hope this helps,
Al
I'm 37. Pain started suddenly in 2005 after heavy physical work. Had a two year period without pain between 2007 and 2009. Pain came back 2010 (too much yoga) and I finally got a diagnosis. Too many cortisone shots! No long term relief.I Don’t take many meds as pain rarely goes above 3 or 4. 2mg of valium once or twice a month. Recently diagnosed with bilateral fai and labral tears. Right side hip scope in July 2013...Second left side scope planned for later in the year...
Painful Man

Post by Painful Man »

Thanks, Al.

"Mousse à mémoire", it sounds so much better in French. Yes, I started to wonder whether cutting a chunk out of M foam would be worth a try. Sounds like you've had a positive result, even if for only half an hour. I'm due for more injections soon, but at the moment I'd be happy if I got five minutes on a cushion.

P_M
Alan1646

Post by Alan1646 »

I bought this cushion, which I use in the car for driving very short distances-it's OK for ten minutes or so, for me.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-COMFORT ... 19ced71f35
It's not really wide enough for long journeys.
The problem with buying an expensive cushion mail order is that they won't give you a refund if you've tried it and found it unsuitable.
I find that drinking artichoke tea helps with gastric reflux.
"if you want to keep a secret you must also hide it from yourself" Orwell
Emily B

Post by Emily B »

This is my favorite cushion...

http://www.icnsales.com/chair-cushions/

Just remove the cover and put it into a pillowcase. It takes the pressure off of the perinium. I can't live without it.

Emily B.
Painful Man

Post by Painful Man »

Thank you Violet, Al, Alan, Emily, thank you all. Your thoughts and suggestions were all very helpful, and I'm going to follow them up. All my home made cushions seem to have run their course and no longer help. I will certainly report back my progress.

P_M
jensandersen211

Post by jensandersen211 »

The memory foam solution has actually helped me a fair bit and made my life a lot easier :-) I guess it comes down to a lot of different factors.

Painful Man wrote:Dear Violet

Thank you for your reply and info and kind thoughts. I too, am a thin person, with little bottom of my own. I will check out the link you gave me.

The UK seems to have gone memory foam mad in the last few years. I never really considered it until recently. Acid reflux predated my PNE, and I used to use a memory foam bed wedge if I had eaten a lot or eaten late (or drank a lot, or spicy food etc etc). However, after developing PNE, using the wedge caused me much increased pain and discomfort at the bottom end. Unfortunately, I have a circulation problem (much worsened by resorting to lots of standing in the early days of PNE), therefore the simple solution of raising the height of the bed head is a no-no for me.

I'm not really expecting to be able to sit normally on memory foam, that WOULD be a miracle. But if it gives me no additional abdominal pain after having slept elevated at...say 20 degrees (or the right number of inches), I think that would be major boost to my well-being. I 'trialled' different elevations in the shop over a couple of hours, and the levels of comfort/discomfort were not bad I'd say, as most surfaces go. Elevating myself above 45 degrees or more got tougher, so I wouldn't hold out too much hope for sitting long at 75 - 90 degrees.

With most surfaces and cushions I have found sitting at around 45 degrees to be counter productive. Pain and discomfort just shifts from the perineal area to the back of the buttocks. And this is what I am wondering, could memory foam work at up to about 45 degrees...so that I can just watch TV or read? At the moment I'm largely horizontal or walking.

I never tried memory foam pillow for sitting as I've been of the same opinion as you on them sinking. I think you need min 20cm of m foam (as in a full m foam mattress) not to sink down to a hard point (to an upwards counter force, effectively). I've had some relief from egg-crate cushions, but I used to buy coccyx ones, and they have not proved effective in the end. I should give the normal one a go again and cut it out appropriately.

I have wondered about gel cushions, especially as after nearly 3 years of PNE, all my foam cut-out experiments have failed (too hard, too soft, too much pressure on other areas, they collapse when you cut out a chunk in the middle etc etc). Oh, yes, and of course, my PNE has steadily worsened. I have seen gel cushions on-line, but they all seem to be shockingly expensive, I mean hundreds of pounds. A bit dear if you want to take a knife to it just to experiment!

Enough from me now (I can't sit anymore anyway!)
P_M
Anne smith

Post by Anne smith »

Hi
I cannot speak for sitting on memory foam(although I am now going to consider it!)but a memory foam topper has helped me tremendously! I find laying down as well as sitting painfull, and my four inch(I have found you need that depth at least has helped me tremendously!. As for cushions, well I have tried self modified(pool noodles) ect! I have paid for togu cushions that I couldn't even blow up! This is an area I still haven't found the ideal! So please any helpfull tips keep them coming
Anne
Iliostomys at twenty five, just after delivery of baby
Started with rectal pain about twenty one years later
Ten years to get diagnosis, had to research myself!
Two horrific surjurys two(mend) a perennial hernia
Now with mr baranofskis team and traveling to London shortly for injections into alcocks.

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”