Best type of excercise for male PNE patients

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Datboy333

Best type of excercise for male PNE patients

Post by Datboy333 »

I am a male and would like to know what are good exercises for men that wont aggravate symptoms , but will still allow them to gain muscle and weight ?
Painful Man

Re: Best type of excercise for male PNE patients

Post by Painful Man »

I've been meaning to ask a question along these lines for some time as a previously fit and active male. Not sure if gender will really have much bearing, or further weight or muscle gain is a viable option with PNE, Datboy? However, having cut:

running
light jogging
walking uphill (real hills and treadmill)
stepper
cross-trainer
cycling (obviously)
rowing
all weight training machines that involve sitting
vigorous abdominals
and of course cancelled my gym membership...

I am left with:
walking on the flat (if I have to go up a hill, I take it steady)
stretching and doing a few light weights at home

I'm not keen on swimming as exercise (plus breast stroke/frog kick is (was) my stroke. I find the real problem is getting that aerobic exercise, working the heart and lungs enough.

Are there any suggestions for self and Datboy333? I am no longer fit, and tending to flabby, although since the start of this condition I have lost a lot of weight. In my experience every time I have tried to return to my earlier exercise practices, I have aggravated my condition (feelings of electic shock, aching, the bladder on fire type symptom)

Any views v. welcome

Comfort to all
P_M
konedog4

Post by konedog4 »

I too had to give up all the activities you mentioned. As one who was extremely active, this is a hard pill to swallow. The only two exercise activities I can do without aggravating the condition are swimming and walking. I do some breaststroke, but deemphasize the kick.

kone
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

Datboy333 wrote:I am a male and would like to know what are good exercises for men that wont aggravate symptoms , but will still allow them to gain muscle and weight ?
Only walking seems to be safe. Almost anything else I have tried has aggravated symptoms either immediately or within a month.
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
2015-Jun 2019 Bedridden due to pain, wasting and weakness.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.
Bill W

Post by Bill W »

I've been trying to find a way to rebuild myself too. My body has steadily withered away. I can't even wear a watch anymore. It spins like a top around my wrist on the tightest setting.

People that haven't seen me in awhile are shocked at my physical deteriorization. I could go on, but the basic issue remains that we're trapped with this. I've messed around with all kinds of excercizes and light weights......only to get further injured. I can go on pretty long walks with my dog and do almost every day.

Frustrating in that I know I could "repair" looking like a skeleton if I could just do some simple things.
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

Ditto. People who saw me ten years ago now think I am very frail. I am not under weight as yet, but definitely weak due to lack of strength training and cardio exercises. Anything more than very light activity throws my body into a tail spin.

Walking is the only activity I do, and I walk about eight hours a day in all. But I can walk briskly only for short periods at a time, like 5-10 min. The long walks have obviously kept my lower body a bit conditioned inspite of atrophy and weakness, but my upper body gets very little workout and is constantly deteriorating and anything I do to fight this degeneration always results in a big flare.
PN symptoms since 1988. Full blown PN and sciatica since 2004. Diagnosed with sacral arachnoid cyst S1-S4 in 2006.
2008- 2015: Conservative management of symptoms by reduced sitting, avoiding physical strain, meditation etc.
Jul 2019- Trying to find my way out. Scheduled for likely sacral cyst and cervical meningocele surgeries in feb 2020.
neopeius

Post by neopeius »

Pull ups and push ups do not seem to aggravate my issue (which is pretty much just with sitting). Between walking, pull ups and push ups, you're pretty well set. Swimming is nice, but I don't have constant access to a pool.
srinmav

Post by srinmav »

I can do a bit of push ups at times, pull ups is a big no for me. The problem is while I can get away with doing a round of pushups once in a while, any time I try to make it a regular workout I get a severe flare some time later, usually within a month or so. I think we people need to be careful with any exercise even when it appears allright and harmless in the beginning. The injury to the nerve can be cumulative over a few days or weeks before it can flare up.

Several times in the past ten years or so, I have been deceived into believing that a certain exercise or activity is ok for me, only to find that many of these activities if done regularly produce a severe flare without much warning. The pain often does not come up gradually over many days, in which case it would serve as a warning to take a break - but it comes up suddenly without giving any warning and once it strikes, then even if you stop doing the exercise it takes several weeks to calm down.
Positivepoppy

Post by Positivepoppy »

I really empathise with you. I had an abdominal hysterectomy last yr agedv40 yrs and since then been in excruciating pain. I was finally diagnosed by mr Greenslade in Bristol with bilateral pudendal nerve entrapments and had TS surgery 7 weeks ago under the care of mr Wong his partner. I was a complete gym bunny prior to this nightmare, I loved to exercise and was in the gym at least 5 times per week. Since then I am unable to exercise at all even walking is painful. I did have a breakthrough last week and went to a pool and managed to do 10 lengths on a float just gently kicking my legs. I refuse to believe this is the end of any fitness regimen and sadly have put on weight. Have never ever been this size. Let me know if you discover exercises that help and visa versa.
Good luck
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

I ALWAYS use pants, jeans, shorts with crotch gussets. I highly recommend them. Any seamstress can add them in so your jeans don't have to be baggy to have enough room.

Also i use duluth trading Buck Naked Performance Boxer Briefs, they help with sweat and breathing.

The only thing i can do that breaks a sweat is the elliptical at PT, but then after that I immediately have the internal pelvic floor therapy.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”