Living room "Bed" ideas?

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
blightcp

Living room "Bed" ideas?

Post by blightcp »

I am trying to figure out how to be comfortable downstairs I am hoping to use this in the living room and eventually in a den or "gentleman's study" I don't do sports, and I do have some taste in decorating so its not a "neanderthal man cave". 8-) Classic burgundy leather never goes out of style. 8-)

I really can only spend time in bed to watch, use the computer and video games.

But it is hard to spend quality time with the whole family in one bed. My daughter is getting older, and in a few years this is not going to work.

I need about 3" of memory foam with a base, spring or foam. Does anyone have any ideas?

I am looking at, buying or making an adjustable college twin bed and "pimping it out" to look like the rest of the living room? MY mother is an upholsterer and seamstress so I can do that if needed but I would rather find a nice solution.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
make-it-stop

Re: Living room "Bed" ideas?

Post by make-it-stop »

I would probably buy a twin bed, like you were saying, and add a 3" memory foam topper like the TEMPUR-Topper (Tempurpedic's 3" mattress topper). And put it against a wall, and make it look like a couch by adding a wooden box as a "head board" and another wooden box as a "foot board" and putting two very large pillows on the side that's against the wall to make it look like the cushioned sofa back. Then put a nice-looking sofa cover over your "couch".
5/11: burning in all areas innervated by PN; self-diagnosed PN
5/11: pelvic floor PT (PT #1) did not help after 2 sessions; she gave up
12/11: Kalinkin MRI doesn't show anything significant
12/11: Consult with Hibner; agreed with PN diagnosis, likely due to tight pelvic muscles
12/11 - 12/13: Tried 4 other pelvic PTs - tbh, they weren't great - no results
1/14 - 11/15: pelvic PT with PT #6 (better results, feel about 30% better after 2.5 years of PT)
Related conditions: MPS, S.I dysfunction
yoland

Post by yoland »

We used the IKEA folding futon couch/bed with their expensive mattress ( the top option) in the living room when I coudn't sit- it was very comfy and affordable-
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89874376/
also google low frame couches- that brings up alot of options- alot of the japanese stye furniture is very low to the ground as well-
You can kind of make your entire living room wall to wall low couchs and have quite alot of family fun together -
Plus when your kids get older you have the best house for sleepovers
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

Thanks for the link, I was thinking of something like that. I may have to go the the showroom in the Boston area to see if that would work.

Hopefully we will be building a new house with the accommodations that I need, and Ikea may be most of out kitchen and bath fittings.

Carl
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
david s.

Post by david s. »

I use an older model of the Backsaver leather zero gravity chair for hours each day, during the daytime. With this, I use a computer keyboard, monitor and clipboard mounted on an arm that swings over me. The desktop computer and four ten-lb. weights are mounted on the base which supports the arm. The device is made by EasyChair Workstation.

At night, for sleeping, I use a medium firm Tempurpedic memory foam mattress. I generally sleep on my back, but often assume variations of a "frog" position, with my soles facing each other. This likely takes pressure off the pudendal nerve, or varies the pressure from when my leg are straight. Sometimes, I place a Thermarest inflatable lumbar pillow under my lumbar spine, to reduce pressure on the pudendal nerve at night.

When I sit upright, I use a Cushion Your Assets, or other pillow with the part under the pudendal nerve removed, such as the Executive model of the McCarty's Sacro-Ease seat cushion, which has a 3 1/2" X 11" cut-out. I also have a discontinued honeycomb "gel" material cushion, which you can make by purchasing the honeycomb gel cushion, cutting the middle section out, and having a cover made for it.
blightcp

Post by blightcp »

Thanks David:

When I was working I used these both at work and home. I had a similar setup to yours at work except that I used a leather power recliner, until that was too much for the PN and work forced me into disability.

I am a huge gamer, I have a gaming PC (in use now), Xbox 360, Xbox one, and PS3 are all at the ready. I can switch to any of these in seconds and back again.

From there I have a 24" 120hz tournament grade monitor with 2 hdmi inputs and sound. One HDMI is for the computer, and the other is to the AV receiver for TV and games. I have a 37" flat panel for watching TV and movies with the family.

I use a ergotron arm with the monitor, I have used it with a laptop adapter and a monitor, you can get a extra segment to add another 12" of reach.

I use it with a desk mount on a bedroom end table, I anchored the end table to the wall with a simple L bracket.

http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails ... fault.aspx

I have used this for three years now, all day long with constant adjustments, and these things are tanks. You wont need to buy another one anytime soon. If you are looking for an upgrade I would recommend it highly. I also have worked out the kinks of using long length HDMI cables without signal loss at 1080P.
david s.

Post by david s. »

I use a Backsaver zero gravity chair for daytime. At night, I use a moderately firm Tempurpedic mattress. I have a flat bed;however, an adjustable bed that can be set in the zero gravity position might be more comfortable.
david s.

Post by david s. »

Ergoquest has an amazing selection of zero gravity chairs and specialized computer desk set-ups. More expensive than my set-up, but may work better for some people.
make-it-stop

Post by make-it-stop »

I've been looking at different comfortable furniture ideas today, and when I came across these daybeds, it made me remember this post.

For anyone else who is looking for a nice looking piece of furniture for a living room or family room, but needs to lie down, there are some really nice looking daybed frames at stores and online. You can then pick out a memory foam mattress and possibly a base, to add to the frame. I particularly like the daybeds that have the drawers at the bottom, so that I could store all of the things I might need while laying on the daybed and not have it visible until I pull out the drawer. There are also some with trundles so that others can watch movies, or visit, etc, while laying on the trundle.

I saw this one at Overstock, but different styles and types would work for different people:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/TR ... earchidx=0
5/11: burning in all areas innervated by PN; self-diagnosed PN
5/11: pelvic floor PT (PT #1) did not help after 2 sessions; she gave up
12/11: Kalinkin MRI doesn't show anything significant
12/11: Consult with Hibner; agreed with PN diagnosis, likely due to tight pelvic muscles
12/11 - 12/13: Tried 4 other pelvic PTs - tbh, they weren't great - no results
1/14 - 11/15: pelvic PT with PT #6 (better results, feel about 30% better after 2.5 years of PT)
Related conditions: MPS, S.I dysfunction

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”