Male Pudendal Nerve Entrapment Diary...

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
amera.ali

Re: Male Pudendal Nerve Entrapment Diary...

Post by amera.ali »

Hi Andy

I have been suffering from this for over 5 years now. I am in the process of getting decompresion , I am so worried. I don't know whether to get it done in France or Bristol. How are you now.

Amera
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

Hi Amera.

Apologies I have not responded sooner. I have not been on the forum for a while.

I have improved a fair bit. While I am far from cured & I am still in a great deal of pain at times, I am pleased I had the decompression surgery. I can walk short distances now & I even managed to do a little housework recently. As strange as it sounds that was exciting for me. I struggled for a few days afterwords but considering I had to pay a cleaner pre surgery, to be able to hoover with a lightweight vacuum myself was extremely liberating & gave me back a small sense of self worth. I have practiced standing at a work station to see if I could go back to employment but I think that is a little ambitious to think I could do that yet. Even short stints react badly. I have taken part in my first social event in over two years recently too. That was difficult & I am struggling with the reaction to that as I type, but the very fact that I even thought about taking part is testament to how much my situation has improved. The temperature issue I have experienced has improved, along with sensation & functionality. So overall things are better.

However, all of my symptoms are far from fixed. They all fluctuate wildly & react badly to physical exertion. But the improvements give me hope that things could improve further going forward.

I am pleased I had the surgery at Bristol, but as others have advised, surgery is not for everyone & you have to be sure that you have exhausted all other avenues of realistic treatment first.

I will update this diary in a few months with my progress & in the meantime I am happy to answer any questions anybody has about my experiences.

Hoping everyone has a pain free Christmas.

Andy.
Credula vitam spes fovet et melius cras fore semper dicit...
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

I am happy to hear of the improvements you have seen from your procedure and wish you the best as you continue to heal. I understand how wonderful a little independence (like vacuuming!) can feel. Please keep us updated as you get a few months further out.

Sincerely,
Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Andy,

Thanks for this positive update following your sugery. Just remember it takes time and gentle activity in the recovery period.
I remember too doing little tasks and the satisfaction it gave me. Just take things gently and listen to your body, I used to write a diary of the things that made things worse and it helped me to keep track of my activity without overdoing things.

Happy Christmas

Amanda
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

A month later & I appear to have regressed in my recovery. Im not sure if I overdid things but Im in severe pain at the top of my legs, groin & hip... It is sharp, burning & dull aching on a par with the strongest I have felt in a very long time. Temperature issue is extremely random too, from warm to very cold at the drop of a hat. I hope it is something that will settle soon & I start to see improvement again.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the update. I had a lot of ups and down during my recovery too. When I was 6 months post op like you are, I was still on narcotics and was limited in what activities I could do without causing the pain to flare up. If it is related to activity levels, hopefully you will be able to take it a bit easier to allow things to heal.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

Hi Violet.

I have been off narcotics for a while, but will need to re-assess that decision if this carries on. Thank you for the info though. I was aware that things can fluctuate, but to hear it from someone who has recovered makes it a bit more real. If that makes sense...

Andy.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

It just takes a lot of time and patience, Andy. There was never a time where I suddenly said, "I'm well". It was slowly over the course of several years that the pain slowly faded away and even now, I have to avoid certain activities but I can live a mostly normal life. I think it's important to avoid things that flare up the pain and use as many pain relieving measures as you can -- like opiods, heat, ice, etc. If you are concerned about addiction or tolerance with the opioids you could do what I did and take them only in the late afternoon and evening so you can sleep. During the day I toughed it out did sitz baths as described in this thread. http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =25&t=5267

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

Sage advice Violet. Thank you.

Andy.
amera.ali

Post by amera.ali »

Thanks guys for all your information hope you all keep getting better. Sorry for late reply for some reason i didn't get an alert that anyone had replied. I am so grateful that you all got back to me. I will let you know what is happening and may need your help in the future. Thanks again

Amera

Return to “UK & IRELAND”