Male Pudendal Nerve Entrapment Diary...

Treatment options for UK & Irish members; including VHI & HSE criteria for funding and E112 Applications etc.
Andy_Pablo

Re: Male Pudendal Nerve Entrapment Diary...

Post by Andy_Pablo »

About eight monts post surgery & going through a pretty rough patch recently. Pain & symptoms fluctuate wildly, however there is more extreme pain than mellow. I am finding it all extremely stressful & morale zapping. Just have to hope things improve.
Credula vitam spes fovet et melius cras fore semper dicit...
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear you are going through this rough time. It could be the nerve is waking up while going through the healing stage. Hoping things will improve for you soon. ;)

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

Thank you Violet. Hoping you are right.

Andy.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Andy, what are you doing for pain control? Just wondering if maybe we can help you brainstorm additional ideas that might help.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

Thank you Violet. That is very kind of you.

I am taking Pregabalin, Tramadol & Ibuprofen. I also take Atarax for sleep, Omeprazole to counter the pain meds on stomach, high dose multivitamins & high dose B12.

I have also tried Citalapram, & a few others whose names escape me.

I also attempt to meditate, but I am a bit of a novice at it...

Andy.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Andy,

Well, the good news is that all those meds you listed aren't heavy duty opioids which means you could increase to something stronger if you really felt the need to temporarily. I took oxycodone for 9 months after surgery but I did not take the extended release form (oxycontin) because I did not want to develop a tolerance or addiction. I took oxycodone just in the afternoon and evening so I could be human for my family at night at get some sleep.

Another thing I did to keep from going insane is something I posted about in this thread. http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =25&t=5267
I know it sounds really simplistic but I really think it helped to improve the circulation in the area, promote healing, and relieve pain.

I've become a fan of rice packs for pain relief. I like the microwavable heating pads by Home Comfort on Amazon. I think you can also freeze them and use them as ice packs.

I don't know exactly where your worst pain is but sometimes lidocaine patches or salon pas patches are helpful.

Have you been evaluated by a pelvic floor PT since surgery? I found a TENS unit really helpful for calming down the pelvic floor muscles at about 11 months post-op. Your PT should be able to tell you where to place the electrodes. Here is my description of it. http://www.pudendalhope.info/forum/view ... =32&t=4015

Just brainstorming some possibilities that might help you cope during the healing stage. Hopefully other forum members will have some good ideas for you.

Violet
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

I will discuss with my doctor some increased meds & see what he says. I did try heat & cold packs in the past, but they increased the pain but it may be different since surgery so will give them another try. I will take a look at some patches too. The PT might be a little more problematic. My doc isnt really that clued up on the subject & I have had to teach him a thing or two about it. I even pointed him in the direction of this site so he could learn more. I know of a PT in another part of the country, but finances are a problem now I cant work. Part of the catch twenty two of this cursesd injury... I will talk to my doc & see what can be done.

Thank you again for the suggestions Violet. I am extremely appreciative of your effort.

Andy.
Andy_Pablo

Post by Andy_Pablo »

I think I have strained something & trapped a nerve again... I attempted to sit a few times in a few days & it feels really bad again & some of the pains surgery stopped, have returned... I am very scared. I cant do this again...
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Andy,

Please do not panic. Healing takes a long time and can be like a roller coaster. One thing PN has taught me is that I am stronger than I ever thought I would need to be. We just have to keep going and do the best we can each day. Sending positive thoughts your way.

Stephanies
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Hi Andy,

I doubt the nerve is trapped again. I think more likely it is just irritated a little and if you are careful and use some pain management measures you will start feeling better soon. Try to take it easy. I wasn't able to sit much for 18 months post-op.

Violet

Return to “UK & IRELAND”