Colonoscopy PN damage/flare?

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
Bob123

Colonoscopy PN damage/flare?

Post by Bob123 »

Hello,

Can a colonoscopy cause or exacerbate existing PN/PNE?

One branch of the pudendal nerve serves the rectum and anus, right ?

I ask this question on the basis that a number of forum members report their pain beginning with a medical procedure in the pelvic region. Others report pain issues following rectal surger
Last edited by Bob123 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patty

Re: Colonoscopy PN damage/flare?

Post by Patty »

I had sacral burnng begin in 3/2013. Had my colonoscopy 6/2013 routine. Rectal vaginal clitoral pain all started 7/2013 and persist until today. I will never know for sure but I think the colonoscopy played a role somehow. Until I have blood coming out of my you know where I will never have another one in my life time.
stephanies

Post by stephanies »

Luckily, I am still a few years away from the recommended age for the first colonoscopy, but I have thought about doing the virtual one instead. I suspect insurance might not cover it and it may not be quite as accurate, but it may be a place to start with colon screening.
PN started 2004 from fall. Surgery with Filler Nov. 2006, Dr. Campbell April 2007. Pain decreased by 85% in 2008 (rectal and sitting pain resolved completely), pain returned in 12/13. Pain reduced significantly beginning around 11/23.
Bob123

Post by Bob123 »

Patty wrote:I had sacral burnng begin in 3/2013. Had my colonoscopy 6/2013 routine. Rectal vaginal clitoral pain all started 7/2013 and persist until today. I will never know for sure but I think the colonoscopy played a role somehow. Until I have blood coming out of my you know where I will never have another one in my life time.
Hi Patty,

Thanks for your reply but at the same time sorry to hear of the outcome. Given the pathway of the branches of the pudendal nerve and the supporting structures it did seem to me that an outcome like this would be a possibility.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Hope you can get some sort of solution.
Last edited by Bob123 on Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

My doctor wants me to have one. I tell him NO.
??????????????????
ezer

Post by ezer »

Do it. I was also procrastinating and I finally did it. They found multiple pre-cancerous polyps. I have to have a colonoscopy every 2 years from now on.
It is really hard for me to see how a colonoscopy could give you PN.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
Ray P.

Post by Ray P. »

I already have PNE. I don't need a flare-up that may be permanent.
ezer

Post by ezer »

Ray, it is your health so you do what you want but it was "very timely" for me according to the gastroenterologist. Again I am not exactly sure how it affects the PN. I was awake and I followed the entire intervention on a computer screen. It seemed very benign. I still had PN pain at the time.
2002 PN pain started following a fall on a wet marble floor
2004 Headache in the pelvis clinic. Diagnosed with PNE by Drs. Jerome Weiss, Stephen Mann, and Rodney Anderson
2004-2007 PT, Botox, diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Sheldon Jordan
2010 MRN and 3T MRI showing PNE. Diagnosed with PNE by Dr. Aaron Filler. 2 failed PNE surgeries.
2011-2012 Horrific PN pain.
2013 Experimented with various Mind-body modalities
3/2014 Significantly better
11/2014 Cured. No pain whatsoever since
nyt

Post by nyt »

I had my colonscopy 1.5 years ago. They did it under heavy sedation because of my PNE, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and pelvic floor dysfunction. Even with the heavy sedation by that evening my overactive bladder symptoms were so nightmarish plus set off rectal spasms that had me in tears, I almost had to go to the ER it was so bad, but by the time I was thinking I couldn't stand it anymore it was Saturday. I limped through the weekend until I could get in to see my family doctor on Monday. Started me back on meds for overactive bladder. Saw Dr. Howard a couple of weeks later and he felt that the colonscopy aggravated my pudendal nerve and CRPS and that it was going to take time for things to settle down. Took almost 1 year before I was back to my baseline for urinary symptoms and about 6 months for the rectal spasms. Thank goodness they didn't find anything because I do not think I could go through how it flared me. However, one does have to consider the alternative if they find polyps or cancer.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Bob123

Post by Bob123 »

Interesting
Last edited by Bob123 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”