Male with Symptoms of Pudendal Nerve Problems

PNMLT, EMG, SSEP, and other Nerve function testing.
The different techniques, results and opinions.
AliPasha1

Re: Male with Symptoms of Pudendal Nerve Problems

Post by AliPasha1 »

Hi Ron,
EMG/PNMLT isn't a very reliable tool to indicate PNE,although it is helpful.You can start with a 3 Tesla MRI with Dr.
Potter in NYC and then proceed with an appoinment with with Dr. Hibner in Phoenix,Arizona.In the meantime,you can also start PN PT and see if it helps.
Another good point to start would be Dr. Jerome Weiss in SF,California.At the same time you can take an appointment with Stephanie and LizRummer and have a session or two of PT with them as well once you are in SF.

All the best,
Ali
Diagnosed for PNE by Dr. Jerome Weiss in June 2007.Started PT with Amy Stein in NYC.
PT for almost 3 years now without any results.
Pudendal Nerve blocks in August,2007 by Dr. Quesda left me with sitting pain.
Unilateral TIR approach with Dr. Bautrant on 18 Febuary,2010 with no major improvements and sitting is much worse.
MRI By Dr. Potter reveals nerve entrapment in the ST,AC and DN.
Dorsal Nerve Decompression surgery on April 8,2011
Redo surgery by Dr. Hibner on July 18,2011
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Ron H wrote: I start to fall off to sleep then I am jerk /tremor back awake. If I did not have the linesta I most like would not get any sleep.
Ron, I really feel for you because I had the exact same problem and it was dreadful not being able to sleep. Clonazepam was a big help but even with that I only slept for a few hours at a time.

As I understand it, the PNMLT only measures the motor function of the nerve so it is not entirely reliable in the diagnosis because the pain can be caused by damage to the sensory nerve fibers.

A nerve block can help in the diagnosis but in rare cases can cause a permanent increase in pain.

There are some PT's in WA who treat people with PN/PNE. http://pudendalhope.org/node/63#WA

You may want to try the least invasive options first.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
donstore

Post by donstore »

Hi Ron,
My best friend was waking up with nerve shocks in the middle of the night and Lyrica helped him a lot. It has helped me with the PN pain as well. It is expensive out of pocket but if your doctor uses the diagnosis code for fibromyalgia, insurance will often pay for it. As Ali said, Dr. Potter MRI is the only imaging test for PNE. The rest is clinical history and diagnostic blocks. Read the post of Dr. Hibner's 2010 paper for full explanation. Good luck.
Mild to moderate PN for 5 plus years, pain controlled by lyrica and opiates.
Nerve block (unguided) 9/10 Dr. Jerome Weiss - sciatica for 5 months but got numb in painful perineal/scrotal area - he diagnosed entrapment - but no more cortisone for me
Potter MRI 5/11 - rt STL entrapment of PN at Alcocks
Consult with Dr. Hibner Feb. 2012
Bilateral inguinal hernias diagnosed by dynamic ultrasound - surgery on 6/20/13
Feeling a little better, a few more months will tell
Yashodhara

Post by Yashodhara »

Hi Ron,

At this moment I am facing the same symptom as you are, can you let me know if your sleep Jerk (Hypnagogic Jerk) is resloved? I desperately need hep. Anyone here please advice anything other than Anxiety & Anti depressant drugs.

Return to “NEUROLOGICAL TESTING”