Suitable cushion for recliner and/or zero gravity chair

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
Dusty_in_Hope

Suitable cushion for recliner and/or zero gravity chair

Post by Dusty_in_Hope »

Hi everyone,

I've been reading all the postings about possible suitable cushions for pn and I was just wondering if anyone had found a suitable cushion for sitting on and lying back in an armchair recliner (mine reclines quite a way back but still causes too much pressure). I would also be very interested to know whether anyone has found a cushion that is helpful on a zero gravity recliner. (I have a Lafuma zero gravity recliner https://www.lafuma.co.uk/index.php?p=products&cat=1 which is more comfortable than an ordinary armchair, but there is still too much pressure on my backside and private parts; the Lafuma probably doesn't recline as far back as some zero gravity chairs go back though, so any suggestions for a better reasonably priced zero gravity chair would be gratefully received as well.)

By the way, I'm in the U.K. (England) so it would be great if I could buy any of your cushion and/or chair suggestions here or if I would be able to import them. (I'm using a Relaxobak plastic 'butt bucket' http://www.relaxobak.com/products/origi ... fort-seat/ with some success at the moment, which I imported some years back to relieve my coccyx pain. However, I can't sit up on an upright straight chair for long as I also suffer with fibromyalgia syndrome, i.e. widespread muscle pain which, in my case, also causes me sudden severe muscle spasms.)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Dusty
kathyd

Re: Suitable cushion for recliner and/or zero gravity chair

Post by kathyd »

Hi Dusty.
I'm answering your post again, about cushions.
I can tell you about one cushion I use ,but wonder if it would work well with the Zero Gravity type Chair for folks like you with coccyx pain and me with rectal pain.
My pain is at rectal opening and the areas right outside the opening.
I can't sit at all without generating instant pain, but I wondered how the Zero Gravity Chair might feel.
I also have a cushion that I might put in the area of the chair where my anal area would make contact ( the LTV cushion - a rectangular cushion with air holes and a black cover...I bought my first version of it at Relax the Back in 2009, at the suggestion of some well known PTs I had seen.. I lost the cushion last Sept.. and then found that our local 'Relax the Back Store' had closed. I researched and found that the closest store was a long distance away in another state.
I called the store and found they didn't sell it anymore in store; if I remember correctly I couldn't find it on their site, either.

Luckily i found basically the exact same cushion online-... it seemed like it was updated with a silky smooth cover rather than the textile material my old one had.
I forget where I ordered my new cushion but Im guessing - Amazon.com ...Will have to check and let you know.

Anyway this cushion acts as a buffer between my anal area and the surface of things (for example --lying on a doctor's table or Physical Therapist's table) etc.
The Zero Gravity chair is very $$$ in the USA -- even the least expensive model is over $1000.00.
Im wondering if the combo of the cushion I described, and the chair would be comfortable for someone like you or me?
what do you think?
It's one of those products that one would have to try for awhile to know if it works out,, (not just a quick test in the store!)
My hubby would freak at the price, but it's something to think about.

By the way, how do those "bucket seats " work out for you? I have one but since they are made of hard plastic I assumed my pain area would hurt if I tried it...but maybe Im wrong?
the coccyx is fairly close to the anus, so I'm wondering if the pain we have is different?
Do you use the bucket cushion for driving?
It would be great if it helped with that. It apparently aligns your spine?,... and gives you the proper posture, from what their description says?
I use the cushion set-up I described in my last post. (for driving.) but it still causes fairly bad pain so I only drive locally and once or twice a week.
A better cushion might help with that.
Thx for any info, Maybe the LTV cushion can help you on your reclining chair..
Pls let me know as I may consider buying a zero gravity chair. (we have a regular recliner but I have been afraid to try it since the anal pain began.
I used to be able to tolerate recliners when pain was only at the sit bones, but not with rectal pain...yet..
Thx again.
Kathy
janetm2

Post by janetm2 »

Kathy,
I sat in a couple zero gravity chairs and they were immediately not working for me but you may find on that works for you? As for a recliner as I have found with the passenger car seats it really may need to go pretty flat for it to work for me. I also think that may have been why the zero gravity did not work because I was not flat enoigh? Really hard to say but thought I would try to explain what I think is going on. When I lay down on the sofa I am flat on my back with my knees up as most comfortable and the recliners tend to possibly put too much on low back rather than distributed with the top of my back. As always good luck with the search for a less painful option!
Janet
2007-08 pelvic muscles spasms treated by EGS. 6/27/10 sat too long on hard chair- spasms, EGS not work Botox help, cortisone shots in coccyx help, still pain, PT found PNE & sent me to Dr Marvel nerve blocks & MRN, TG left surgery 5/9/11. I have chronic bunion pain surgery at age 21. TG gave me back enough sitting to keep my job & join in some social activities. I wish the best to everyone! 2019 luck with orthotics from pedorthist & great PT allowing me to get off oxycodone.
Dusty_in_Hope

Post by Dusty_in_Hope »

Hi Kathy

I agree with Janet....I feel that the zero gravity chairs (leastways, all the ones that I have tried in showrooms) don't go flat enough, i.e. not to relieve my vulvodynia/pn-like pain - hence my asking about a cushion that I could combine with my la fuma or other type of zero gravity chair. However, that said, my la fuma was okay for me when I just had coccyx pain...although it was never an 'all-day-comfort' kind of chair for me because of my fibromyalgia (chronic wide-spread muscle pain).

That LVT cushion looks promising - and it isn't as expensive as the other roho cushions I've seen - so that is indeed a possibility for me try...Could be dual purpose to cart around with me to doctor and hospital appointments too...So, thanks v much for suggesting that :)

I was thinking that a la fuma zero gravity chair like mine might be a cheaper way of you trying out a zero gravity chair with your LVT cushion; they do them in the USA http://www.shoplafuma.com/category/furn ... -recliners They fold up for storage and anyone can use them as garden chair/recliner, so, even if you end up not being able to use it, other members of your family could. (They used to do a padded version too, but a quick surf seems to indicate that the manufacturers have discontinued the padded models.)

I also have a recliner armchair which I can't use! :( I'd only just purchased it; I particularly chose it because it seemed okay on my tailbone (sat in it for ages in the showroom) - but then suddenly the vulvodynia/pn-like started, so it's now sitting in the corner of our dining room unused, while I lay on a day bed in our living room...£850 down the drain (well, not exactly down the drain, as my husband can get some use out of it when his current recliner armchair packs up working, but it's so disappointing).

Anyway, will keep you posted re any of the cushion/chair/seat combos that I try...just in case it might help you in your quest to sit more comfortably.

Dusty
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Thx Janet and Dusty,
It is hard to know in a showroom if a chair will work for u.. You need the time to see if causes pain- after sitting on it as well.
We have plenty of furniture so who knows where it would go? If comfy, tho I would find a place..Would much prefer to be downstairs with family than lying down in my room.. (tho we all have different taste in TV shows.)

Dusty, Thx, I will check out the lafuma- type chair.
I wonder do these companies take chairs back if they don't suit your needs?
Would hate to lose the money!
Will check into it tho.
By the way Dusty, i was wondering does that 'bucket type' seat work for you in the car?
I have my own cushion contraption made up for the car with an opening for my butt to hang through;
but it still hurts, esp later.. so still looking for something better.
I also use a ' tush cush "with a bubble cushion for restaurants and kneel on those, trying to keep my butt in the cut-out area.

The reason I ask about the bucket typse seat as the one I bought awhile mine is hard, and I think the surface would hurt! So haven't tried it yet!
But,my PT wants me to sit a few moments per day,, adding a extra increments daily, ie. 30 secs, ..then 40 secs etc, to gradually get the\body and brain used to it.

But I when drive to get out of house and shop , this requires the sitting/perching position, for about 5- or 15 min. each way, depending on which store etc.
She encourages that as well, as living normally is the most important thing she and her doctor partner ( a urologist) recommend.
Thx for the info ladies.
Kathy
Dusty_in_Hope

Post by Dusty_in_Hope »

Hi Kathy

Yes, I do use my relaxobak in the car - in fact it's the only place I use it...as indoors I prefer to lie on my day bed.

Re the lafuma - I'm in the UK and when we buy over the Internet there's a consumer law that gives us the right to a 'cooling off' period after purchase should the buyer changes their mind (albeit that the buyer has to pay for the return shipping)...perhaps there is a law like that in the US?

My relaxobak is made of plastic with no padding; the plastic bends a bit, but I guess you would say it's a hard surface, but it was nevertheless the only seat that I could use when my coccyx pain was excruciating.

What's a bubble cushion? I've not heard of one of those.

I'm not sure that any of these ideas would be any good for you, Kathy, as they're on a website about coccyx pain, but I'm posting them just on the off chance that something might be of interest to you or to someone else somewhere http://www.coccyx.org/coping/chairs.htm and http://www.coccyx.org/coping/cushions.htm (Wouldn't ever recommend the gym ball option though for coccyx pain :shock: ! - I know of someone who used to sit on one of those and, after daily use for a while, it burst and fell to the floor and the fall caused her an injury :( )

Best;

Dusty

P.S. Anyone tried any of these two types of GSeat cushions and did they help with their pn? http://gelcoproducts.com/products/gseat/ and/or http://gelcoproducts.com/products/gseat-ultra/
kathyd

Post by kathyd »

Thx Dusty,
It sounds like ur Relax O' back product is the same as mine. My pain has been flares a lot this week so I won't try this cushion yet. Tho the coccyx (tailbone) is just above the anal area ( my pain is at the anal opening) , one would think I could try similar cushion devices... but not sure?
I'll show it to my PT and see if she thinks its something I should try.
Something too hard seems like it would be painful, but at the same time I have to keep things somewhat firm as sinking into the cushion causes pressure too.
My ideal one would allow my painful spot to hang free.
My car device is like a raised toilet seat with a circular Roho cushion strapped to it. My husband built a wooden cut-out the dame size as a a toilet seat. But while driving my area still rubs against it a bit.... also the wood part is hard-- even with the softer covering over it.
I can't figure out while sitting on a toilet does not hurt but trying to re-create this kind of seat does.

BTW a Bubble cushion is a rectangular blow -up cushion with little holes through-out the cushion. One well known pelvic pain doc recommended it ,said it was the best one? not sure why as my painful spot touches the surface..
Its firmness can be controlled tho.. I put under another cuhion (the tush-cush- whichhas the cut -out in the back) when I go out to eat.
I kneel on the cushions rather than sit...My heels dig into my sit bones, but its tolerable..
Also a glass of wine relaxes the muscles so I don't feel the pain at the time,,
I wouldn't advise alcohol in general of course, but it my case it relaxes my tight muscles and me in general which prby makes dining out tolerable for me.
Thx for the info about the Lafuma seat...I would think they would allow us to return the product here in the US also/
Will have to check into it, bit for now I watch TV with my family either lying on my belly, or in my room in my comfy temperpedic bed. That can be isolating, tho in our family each member often watches different favorite shows anyway..

Thx!
Dusty_in_Hope

Post by Dusty_in_Hope »

Hi Kathy,
I can't figure out while sitting on a toilet does not hurt but trying to re-create this kind of seat does.
I don't know for sure either, but maybe it's to do with the angle of your car seat, e.g. my car seat tilts back a bit, whereas toilets are usually quite level, and they're often lower than most chairs are (seat to floor height).

Don't laugh but at home I use a commode chair to sit on :D for the times when I need to sit upright on a chair (I sit on it fully clothed though, of course - and the bucket/pan bit of the commode isn't there as the commode's never been used as a commode). The advantage is that it's just like sitting on a toilet - and the commode chair I chose looks like an ordinary chair when I'm sitting on it (and it has a seat cover for when I'm not sitting on it, i.e. to disguise the 'toilet' area).

I could use my relaxobak 'butt bucket' seat indoors, but it's not so good to use on relatively sofas and armchairs. It works best for me on my car seat.

It's a shame that your bubble cushion isn't all that good :( - it's a bit like a 'waffle' cushion, I take it?

I too have a tempurpedic bed and mattress - but I've added a 4" thick 55kg density mattress topper to it for extra softness as I have very painful and aching muscles due to fibromyalgia (in addition to having pn-like pain and coccydynia).

I hope you manage to find a comfy cushion and/or chair soon.

Best wishes,

Dusty
Dusty_in_Hope

Post by Dusty_in_Hope »

For anyone who might be interested in getting a Togu Airgo Active Seat Cushion (like this, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Togu-Airgo-Acti ... B000FCQLZQ - which is available on various websites to include both UK and the USA amazon websites) :

I've just tried one; you fill it with air by means of a small pump and I found it to be too 'bouncy' and unstable because of the air in it - a bit like sitting on a couple of rubber hot water bottles...I have had sacro-iliac issues in the past and, although it is good not to have those joints seize up with the pressure of sitting and give them some free movement, I have to be careful...For me there was too much movement and instability to sit on the cushion for any length of time without risking muscle spasm in my sacro-iliac areas. The Togu also didn't relieve much, if any, pressure on my burning vulva (my pn-like pain is pretty central and I think that the central gap/'valley' wasn't wide enough) but I did feel that it gave me adequate pressure relief on my coccyx.

Dusty
Last edited by Dusty_in_Hope on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusty_in_Hope

Post by Dusty_in_Hope »

Kathy,

Is that LVT cushion sort of 'bouncy' when you sit on it? Having tried the togu cushion out, I realise that I can't sit on anything that feels unstable (because I've had sacro-iliac problems in the past).

If the LVT cushion is bouncy/unstable feeling - I wonder does that apply to all Roho cushions, because they have air in them?

Thanks,

Dusty

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”