Dr. De Bisschop/Transperineal Approach

Read and discuss about the many surgical options and the surgical centres Worldwide.
chenonceau

Re: Dr. De Bisschop/Transperineal Approach

Post by chenonceau »

Hey winged_cent,

I had surgery with DeBisschop in September. The recovery period is limited and i have been back to work (full time) 1 month after the surgery. Improvements seem minimal as of today, i just cut my pain killers (laroxyl) in half. Improvements can happen until 6 months after the surgery so I try to be patient. Nothing to report on the hospital, everything went smoothly.

The surgeon seems to operate 3-4 persons per week, every week. I am still in touch with a guy that was operated one week after me and is living in my city. 28 yo / moderate pain when sitting / ED. Not a lot of improvements either but he seems ok pain-wise. Several people were getting operated after being through the Nantes surgery without success.
Testicular pain started Jan '15 - off by may '15
Back Pain + Pain when seating Jan '16
Loss of sensation when urinating Mar '16
Urinary Retention Aug '16
Diagnosed PNE Sept'16 - 2 Nerve blocks Nov '16
Diagnosed Myofascial Syndrome March '17
Self-cathing since summer '17
Bilateral Decompression Surgery (Dr. De B., France) September '18
winged_cent

Post by winged_cent »

Hi Chenonceau!

I am very glad that the post operative recovery is going well for you, though it is unfortunate that it has brought you only minimal results so far. Please keep us updated as the months progress, I wish all the best for you. Are you as active as you were before the surgery in terms of physical activity?

I grew skeptical of the De Bisschop method after some time. After reading the French forum, it seems that his ultrasound always gives results of compression at the "coulee infrapiriforme" for everybody, and given that the surgery is "blind", it is kind of a lottery if it will help or not, depending on where the compression is. Also, I still find it somewhat hard to believe that just releasing the nerve digitally with his finger can last for a long period of time. If there is some abnormal anatomy compressing the nerve (a vein, a ligament, fibrosis) it seems that it would be important to actually visualize the area, no?

Do you have any symptoms in the rectal branches of the nerve, which might suggest a higher lesion? The reason that I consider the anterior approach of Dr. Aszmann is because I have only perineal and dorsal symptoms on the left side, and he seems to take the diagnostic approach more seriously, actually looking at my MRI in great detail, and not rushing to suggest surgery.
chenonceau

Post by chenonceau »

winged_cent wrote:Hi Chenonceau!

I am very glad that the post operative recovery is going well for you, though it is unfortunate that it has brought you only minimal results so far. Please keep us updated as the months progress, I wish all the best for you. Are you as active as you were before the surgery in terms of physical activity?

I grew skeptical of the De Bisschop method after some time. After reading the French forum, it seems that his ultrasound always gives results of compression at the "coulee infrapiriforme" for everybody, and given that the surgery is "blind", it is kind of a lottery if it will help or not, depending on where the compression is. Also, I still find it somewhat hard to believe that just releasing the nerve digitally with his finger can last for a long period of time. If there is some abnormal anatomy compressing the nerve (a vein, a ligament, fibrosis) it seems that it would be important to actually visualize the area, no?

Do you have any symptoms in the rectal branches of the nerve, which might suggest a higher lesion? The reason that I consider the anterior approach of Dr. Aszmann is because I have only perineal and dorsal symptoms on the left side, and he seems to take the diagnostic approach more seriously, actually looking at my MRI in great detail, and not rushing to suggest surgery.
Thank you :) I am as active as i were before the surgery, but i don't know if it's a good idea. I may have done too much too soon, but I am not patient at all :D

It's true that technically speaking it's difficult to be in favor of his technique but some people have been cured (long-lasting) with it (seems to be more women thant men though) and it is not very invasive.

I have a lot of symptoms, and some might suggest a higher lesion (loss of urethral and anal canal sensation, bladder problems, etc...) or maybe lesion at the sacral nerve roots.
Testicular pain started Jan '15 - off by may '15
Back Pain + Pain when seating Jan '16
Loss of sensation when urinating Mar '16
Urinary Retention Aug '16
Diagnosed PNE Sept'16 - 2 Nerve blocks Nov '16
Diagnosed Myofascial Syndrome March '17
Self-cathing since summer '17
Bilateral Decompression Surgery (Dr. De B., France) September '18

Return to “SURGERY”