What weightlifting can be done with pelvic pain?

Here we can discuss difficulties with comfort in sitting and normal living - cushions, bicycle seats, car seats, work stations etc.
volans

What weightlifting can be done with pelvic pain?

Post by volans »

Ever since i've had pevlic pain I decided to sell my dumbells and other weightlifting related gear because any strain on my pelvic region just makes things worse. So I was wondering what everyone does on here for building muscle?

I'm thinking maybe getting rid of my dumbbells was a bad idea because I could be able to do basic curls as long as I don't bend down to pick up the weight. I could keep the dumbbell on a chair at waist level and just do this:

Thoughts? I've become so skinny after having PN and I want to gain back any muscle possible without causing more damage to the pelvic region.

Also basic pushups seem to be okay for me too.
April

Re: What weightlifting can be done with pelvic pain?

Post by April »

Hi volans,

I think the trick is to figure what creates a trigger. I don't do any exercise that involves being upright, because my pain is worse when I'm upright. So, I just swim, and when I don't feel like swimming, I occasionally lift light weights while lying down. So I would just test out the different options and see which ones do not increase your pain.

April
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

I use light weights but I won't ever risk using heavy weights again -- just because that's what caused PNE for me in the first place. I am able wear a weight vest and carry light weights when walking, to strengthen lower body muscles. I think lying down for upper body weight training, like April said, is an option. I do push-ups and planks. I can do some ab exercises too. I just had to do some trial and error until I figured out which exercises don't flare things up.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
puffsplus

Post by puffsplus »

Violet M wrote:I use light weights but I won't ever risk using heavy weights again -- just because that's what caused PNE for me in the first place.
Violet,

Do you know which lifts or exercises contributed to the PN damage? Do you or your doctor know?
Violet M

Post by Violet M »

Lunges, squats, and using the elliptical are the ones that messed me up I think.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
cwb125

Post by cwb125 »

While I am sure some doctor would disagree with this statement, I am pretty sure pressure on my hips cause many of my flare ups. Honestly, I would not risk lifting weights at all. Then again, I am like 5'10 220 with a lot of muscle mass; In fact, lifting weights makes me look fat because I am on the short side. When I can, I like to swim without using my lower body. If you swam without using your lower body enough, it would be like lifting weights on your arms.
sadie

Post by sadie »

Before I got PN in 2006 I worked out everyday w weights ,rode a bike, play tennis, and ran. After thirteen years with pn and pgad i live a sedentary life for fear of setting off any symptoms. What is made it worse was all the benzos that I was put on for years with PN and after pn surgery . It messed up the GABA in my CNS so I have nerve cross talk and weird touching feelings on my femoral nerve n back. I use hot get patches on back and roll on 16% menthole icy hot ...on rt femoral nerve n patch over w prescription lidocane patche then wrap leg in 4 inch velcro bandage for the preasure. I can no longer lift weight but 2 weeks ago started using BALA 1 lb weight for the wrists. .2 lbs killed my back but after two weeks of the 1 lbs daily 20 min use.. I LOVE THEM these are high end but worth the price and I would start a 1lb ... they are from Amazon.
2007-2010 anitriptyline for PN, 2010 it caused severe dystonia
2010 PNB w steroids caused severe PGAD
11-2010 St Josephs NH. , ketamine drip, meds etc to stop nerve from firing, nothing worked
11-2010 - 3-2011 Elliott Hosp. Pain Manag. Center , 16 PNB w/ lidocane did not work
3-2011 bilateral TG surg., w/ Dr. Conway
12-2011 3TMRI, Dr. Potter, rt side nerve re-entrapped w/ scar tissue
3-2013 rt side re-do surgery w/ Dr. Hibner for PGAD
April

Post by April »

Hi Sadie,

So sorry to hear about your challenges from the benzos. But, I'm glad to hear that those wrist weights are working. Do you just walk around the house? I walk almost daily, but like you, I never go beyond that (e.g., jogging) for fear of a flare. I have thought that small weights during the walk would be a good way to give my upper body a little workout, so maybe I'll try them.

April
sadie

Post by sadie »

April
I came back to add something tonight n saw this post... I did not check the box to notify me..hi sorry its late getting back t u ready? I only use 1 lbs on each wrist .. I use 15 to 20 min in the evening when it's quiet and night shows like seth myers is on as I am up late always. You can stand an take over head, behind shoulder blades , hold out to sides and make up your own moves. I devide my time between standing and laying. I lay flat and take weights all the way over head and hold for 10 seconds then slightly raise for 10 etc... then out to the sides and stright up and down. Make up the best resistance moves u can . This way the strain is not on waist down. But just the fact that you are doing anything above the waist is prob great for your heart . I ran ,biked and lifted weights till I got pgad it's now 13 years later( I am 65 now 115 lbs at 5'7 and fit but nothing like b4 .. I had no kids so i laughed at my friends the sneezed n peeded LOL and now after 2 pn surgeries if I think I will sneeze, I cross my legs) PAY BACKS ARE HELL LOL I worked out every day since I was 21 so my my muscles remembered form and psychologically I feel I now have
a finger tip touching my old life by doing this ... if that makes sence. I miss me as I know you miss April .. Have fun let me know how you are doing. (Spotify walking and if in yd dancing is all I can do too. ) I had a wide lg tree swing made for me 10 years ago that I still stand on so if pushed I can close my eyes n remember the wind in my face when I ran. Do u miss a little adrenaline rush from competing at badminton? I do ! So I got a racket n a sleeve of shuttle cocks and every few months hit one in the air a few times with out running so I don't flair lol. .. and I have a basket ball net on a stand and I lob balls in it. I will never forget one of my surgons saying you're going to have to live a sedentary life now. So I cheat lol big hugs Sadie
2007-2010 anitriptyline for PN, 2010 it caused severe dystonia
2010 PNB w steroids caused severe PGAD
11-2010 St Josephs NH. , ketamine drip, meds etc to stop nerve from firing, nothing worked
11-2010 - 3-2011 Elliott Hosp. Pain Manag. Center , 16 PNB w/ lidocane did not work
3-2011 bilateral TG surg., w/ Dr. Conway
12-2011 3TMRI, Dr. Potter, rt side nerve re-entrapped w/ scar tissue
3-2013 rt side re-do surgery w/ Dr. Hibner for PGAD
April

Post by April »

Oh, yes, I do miss the old days. But, as I was just saying in another entry, I am pretty pretty functional so I am deeply grateful for the improvements. I walk for two miles most evenings, and I manage okay with my job, usually. (But I can work at home a lot). Good for you trying to at least get a fingertip touching your old life. The tree swing sounds lovely! And the basketball shots and badminton shots sound fun too. Good for you cheating on the sedentary life lol! And thanks, again, for the tip on the wrist weights. I'm going to order those this week. My arms definitely need some muscle:)

April

Return to “SEATING & PHYSICAL LIFESTYLE ADAPTATIONS”