PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Many physical activites such as sports, pelvic surgery, etc can all contribute to PN
nypain
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by nypain »

It has been awhile. I was planning to see De. Tzvi Small in September, but ended up cancelling because I couldn’t have my GI workup completed, because one of the stents I had for May-Thurner syndrome was blocked. I had treatment for that plus a new stent a few months ago, and just now would be able to hold my new blood thinner for a procedure if needed.

I had a colonoscopy done and have Grade I hemorrhoids. I am sure my constant sitting on a donut is not helping that!

I was found to have a limb length discrepancy (left leg about half an inch shorter than my right), and while wearing lifts helped a bit at first, I am still quite flared.

I’m not sure what my next steps are right now. An emotional support animal died last year, and my spouse is not ready to get another one, which I can empathize with, but having a pet kept a certain amount of dark thoughts away. I never thought I’d still be suffering at 5.5 years in like this. I can’t believe it’s been that long and I’ve only found things that moderately at best help (donut, not wearing pants/underwear, dilating twice a day, pregabalin and Valium suppositories), and almost every thing I have found that I thought might finally be it was not.
29Mari
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by 29Mari »

NYPain,
Have you tried the OTC supplement for vein health, Diosmin & Hesperidin? I began taking it earlier this year after learning I have vaginal and vulvar varicosities. It helps a lot for my PGAD. I'd say the supplement has reduced the frequency and severity of my flares by about 50%! My daily baseline symptoms are lower now, too.

I decided not to pursue treatment of the varicosities because sadly I can't find any patient stories, here or anywhere, to convince me that that embolization or sclerotherapy of the pudendal veins relieves PGAD symptoms. I consulted with several interventional radiologists and none were optimistic that treating the veins would help, and could possibly make my symptoms worse. I'm glad they were up front with me about that. I'm sorry to hear that the stent for MTS did not help you.

Also, earlier this year, I tried tirzepatide aka Zepbound (Violet linked the study a few posts back) but I lost too much weight even at a low dose so I stopped taking it after just a month or so. Maybe a higher dose would've helped more for my PGAD symptoms?...hard to say, because I was already getting help from the Diosmin & Hesperidin supplement.

I'm sorry about your beloved pet. Two of my three are getting up there. It's hard to watch.
PGAD began 2010. Left vulva deep pain&arousal. Lower left ab pain/tugging.
2020 PFPT failed.
2023: Prolapse surgery, More PT.
2024: Trigger point injections helped to some extent.
2025: Dry needling helps! Inconclusive nerve blocks. Potter MRI shows pelvic varices but no nerve entrapments.
2026: Success wth vein health supplement Diosmin&Hespiridin! It helps my PGAD.
nypain
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:25 pm

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by nypain »

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it more, although it may conflict with my existing anti-coagulants.
29Mari
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:13 pm

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by 29Mari »

Ahhh that's right. I've read the supplement may have mild blood thinning properties (I think especially the ones that contain horse chestnut? not all of them do), so definitely discuss with your doctor or pharmacist. I've had success both with versions both with and without horse chestnut.
PGAD began 2010. Left vulva deep pain&arousal. Lower left ab pain/tugging.
2020 PFPT failed.
2023: Prolapse surgery, More PT.
2024: Trigger point injections helped to some extent.
2025: Dry needling helps! Inconclusive nerve blocks. Potter MRI shows pelvic varices but no nerve entrapments.
2026: Success wth vein health supplement Diosmin&Hespiridin! It helps my PGAD.
April
Posts: 738
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:59 am

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by April »

Hi Nypain,

I'm so sorry to hear about your updates. It sounds like it has been a difficult 5.5 years. You are going to see Dr. Small about the possibility of having surgery? So that is now just postponed? Are you still thinking about the stimulator too?

April
User avatar
Violet M
Posts: 7171
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:04 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: PGAD - persistent genital arousal disorder

Post by Violet M »

Hi NYPain,

I was reading back through your posts and saw that you had a nerve block in 2021 that gave you 7 hours of relief.
nypain wrote: ↑Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:43 pm I had an X ray guided nerve block last week. The numbing agent worked for about 7 hours and I was able to sit and wear jeans comfortably. I believe the steroid kicked in about 3 days later, notable decrease in PGAD but still with the other symptoms and unable to wear normal underwear still.

8 days later and the spasms are notably worse and the PGAD is returning. Is there ANY chance that I’ll experience improvement from this block or no?
Was that a pudendal nerve block? If so, were you ever able to see one of the PN surgeons for evaluation? It's unfortunate that you had to cancel your appointment with Dr. Small. I hope you will be able to get another appointment with one of the PN specialists before too long.

Violet
PNE since 2002. Started from weightlifting. PNE surgery from Dr. Bautrant, Oct 2004. Pain now is usually a 0 and I can sit for hours on certain chairs. No longer take medication for PNE. Can work full time and do "The Firm" exercise program. 99% cured from PGAD. PNE surgery was right for me but it might not be for you. Do your research.
Post Reply

Return to “CAUSES & EFFECTS OF PUDENDAL NEURALGIA”