Boy, do I have a lot to tell the forum.
A. Please see this post - viewtopic.php?t=11382. I made it in between updates and will reference it in this post.
I went and saw a doctor, Dr. Anthony Echo, that treats piriformis syndrome in Houston, TX. Before going into the appointment, I was leaning towards having back surgery if he could not help me.
He was both an intelligent doctor and a very nice man.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He gave me four choices:
1. Do nothing.
2. Be referred to a doctor for pudendal neuralgia around Houston. I really need to get that doctor's name, but Dr. Echo said this doctor was in Sugarland, TX, which is a suburb to the west of Houston.
3. Perform the piriformis syndrome surgery.
4. Try a Botox injection in/around my piriformis muscle to see if that helps. If it does, then I could decide if that is a solution or if I still want to try the surgery afterwards. Furthermore, a successful Botox injection would support the conclusion of piriformis syndrome.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I am going to choose either #3 or #4.
#1 is unacceptable for obvious reasons.
As far as #2, I do not think I have pudendal neuralgia because of the way my pelvic pain improved after removal of several hernias and years of pelvic floor therapy. But for those hernias and inflamed pelvic floor, I am not sure I would have ever thought I had pudendal neuralgia. Furthermore, a doctor tried a pudendal nerve block in the past with little to no effect. I am also very skeptical of the PNE surgery.
Does anyone have any opinions on Botox injections? Do they help anyone? Or, should I look at it more as a diagnostic tool? Or, should I go for the surgery?
Has anyone had the piriformis syndrome surgery before? If so, was it successful? How well did you recover from it? Even though it sounds tough, the literature about it seems positive.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall, I am thrilled with this outcome!
