Page 2 of 2

Re: PTs seem to be unaware

Posted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:33 pm
by Amanda
PT's are only trained as systems allow....we have to remember that PN patients are totally different to their regular patients.
TENS placement is usually explained in leaflets that come with the machine.....there are many websites run by physios which state where to place the electrodes.....all say to place them away from the actual spine.

Re: PTs seem to be unaware

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:47 am
by HerMajesty
Griff,
the PT who did my joints, Jerry Hesch, has trained PT's around the country in his basic and intermediate work on pelvic joint dysfunction. I see you are in Michigan and would have to research to see if there is anyone there currently trained, BUT we are in the works to probably train the entire staff of a Michigan rehab facility in February - not definite but seems to be going in that direction. If you PM me your city I can try to find you a local referral or keep you updated about this winter's Michigan Seminar - BUT I will be involved in a Las Vegas Seminar this weekend and the 7th Interdisciplinary Congress on Low Back and Pelvic Pain all next week, so I will be slow in answering. not til after Nov 15 probably. I would definitely keep it flagged and get back to you though. Chances are good I could find you someone, if not in your city, at least within road trip distance (ugh, road trips + PN = yuck!)

Kat,
You DID find a good joint worker in your area, correct? I am confused if you are talking about a current problem or a past problem. Because you had posted prior that your pelvis was adjusted with a reduction in symptoms...did the correction hold?

Re: PTs seem to be unaware

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:23 am
by kat
I have a PT currently that the MODs said they would add to this site.

The problems I had were leading up to my current PT that I found 2 months ago.

I had a PT for 2 years that was working on my (soaze - spelled phonetically - muscles that never checked any of my pelvic joints.
I had another PT for 2 years before surgery that only checked my hips.
A doc that did the MRI to check my hips.
All said my pelvis was fine because my bones were fine and my legs were the same length.

All that time, pain and money was given to people that did not understand how to align the 5 pelvic joints.

A chiropractor aligned my hips and after 48 hours they would get out of alignment.
My muscles were too weak in the correct position to hold them in alignment due to me walking incorrectly all my life.
Since surgery my PT aligns my pelvis with each visit and each time it is a little better as my muscles get stronger to hold alignment.

I have been in touch with PTs that graduated in 2000 that do not check the 5 pelvic joints too since I'm noticing a problem in this area.

You may have more knowledge and availability of better educated PTs in your area and in your line of work.
For us (regular people) with no medical knowledge we are not as lucky (at least in my experience).

I am so excited to hear you are trying to spread the word to better educate PTs on how to treat this condition as it relates to pelvic alignment.
It needs to be done and I'm so glad you are part of the solution.

Does that answer your question?

Re: PTs seem to be unaware

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:46 am
by HerMajesty
yes it does. We were doing a seminar today and had a new graduate DPT in our class, so we asked her what she learned in school about manual examination of the pelvis, and she said, "basically nothing". Some PT programs are i am sure better than others, but by and large this is a field that a PT has to be interested enough in, to pursue post-graduation continuing education on the topic. Not many are aware of the value of doing this, but the community of pelvic floor PT's is gradually as a whole beginning to realize that the bony pelvis is significant in treatment of various pelvic pain syndromes. The majority of PT's of course, spend their careers in different specialties.

Re: PTs seem to be unaware

Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:57 pm
by kat
Yes, thank you!!

I'm sure I wasn't explaining it correctly and that is what I was trying to say.

PTs in general don't get the pelvis joints. You were the first one who ever explained it to me and thank God you did.
It is amazing how much burning goes away when those joints are aligned.

Thank you for asking questions, spreading knowledge and being willing to try to understand what I was saying if my message was unclear.

I have great respect for you and your work.

I'm going to keep talking and praying that PTs will get a better education and understanding of all joints since that is their area of study.

Let me know if I can help you spread the word.

Loves