I did consider a pain pump, but when I consulted with doctors they said that the stimulator was step one. If the stimulator was not sufficient then the pump would be an option.
I also used a TENS on my lower back for almost 18 months and i had sciatic issues as a result, it went away with PT and stopping the TENS use.
I have been on modified bed rest since 2010 and I am 37, I certainly understand how difficult it can be without being able to sit.
The internal stimulator is completely different, even in the short time that I have had it. It was obvious even during the trial that the simulator helped.
The stimulator uses much less power. I am using 0.5 Volts right now when i was at 4 with the external TENS, there are no muscle contractions.
The trial is just that, so I would keep an open mind about it.
I would make sure that it is a sacral stimulator they are looking at and not a spinal.
I hope this is helpful feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Carl
Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 3/6/15
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN
Thanks so much for your detailed experience with the sacral stimulator. I am so happy that it is helping you.
2/07 LAVH and TOT 7/07 TOT right side removed 9/07 IL, IH and GN neuropathy 11/07 PN - Dr. Howard
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
6/08 Obturator neuralgia - Dr. Conway 11/08 Disability, piriformis syndrome - Dr. Howard
4/09 Bilateral obturator decompression surgery, BLL RSD - Dr. Howard
9/10 Removed left side TOT, botox, re-evaluate obturator nerve - Dr. Hibner
2/11 LFCN and saphenous neuralgia - Dr. Dellon 2/11 MRI with Dr. Potter - confirmed entrapment
5/11 Right side TG - Dr. Hibner 2012 Left side TG - Dr. Hibner
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 9/19
I just found the link to when the sacral stimulator was approved by FDA in April of 2011 so its not that old:
http://newsroom.medtronic.com/phoenix.z ... ID=1773348
http://newsroom.medtronic.com/phoenix.z ... ID=1773348
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 9/19
Carl, are you continuing to have success with the stimulator? Is it too good to be true? :
What a relief it must be .Did you say it is 50% better? I have chronic sciatic pain.Would the stimulator take care of sciatic and pudendal ? Ellie
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 9/19
The pain is defiantly better, Have had a couple of flare up but the stimulator has been able to take them down to a level where it is uncomfortable. I did reach for some extra pain medication, but it was not incapacitating as it was in the past. I will update the post up top some more today.
As for the sciatic nerve pain. Most of my pain came as secondary from the whole pelvic area being tense and out of whack. If mobilizing your coccyx area and pt help your pain but it just comes back as it did for me then this would probably help. At my levels there is no muscle contraction. Except the beneficial one of the anal external sphincter which is supposed to be contracted and was not due to the PN.
Yes, the stimulation has helped a LOT, but as for the total amount of relief, I think it is too soon to tell, the stimulation and levels change as the "good" scarring is taking hold anchoring everything in place. The stimulation is changing slightly but we are talking one 0.05 bump up on a scale of 0 to 10.5. I think I may still need pain medication, but i would like to be able to manage my pain and not be in the fetal position every day from 2-4 PM. They are small but very important goals, before this I had ZERO sitting tolerance and the only time I sat was for driving. But I am not going to try any extra sitting until I feel that the stimulator and healing are complete, Dr. Ross says that is about 3 months.
As for the sciatic nerve pain. Most of my pain came as secondary from the whole pelvic area being tense and out of whack. If mobilizing your coccyx area and pt help your pain but it just comes back as it did for me then this would probably help. At my levels there is no muscle contraction. Except the beneficial one of the anal external sphincter which is supposed to be contracted and was not due to the PN.
Yes, the stimulation has helped a LOT, but as for the total amount of relief, I think it is too soon to tell, the stimulation and levels change as the "good" scarring is taking hold anchoring everything in place. The stimulation is changing slightly but we are talking one 0.05 bump up on a scale of 0 to 10.5. I think I may still need pain medication, but i would like to be able to manage my pain and not be in the fetal position every day from 2-4 PM. They are small but very important goals, before this I had ZERO sitting tolerance and the only time I sat was for driving. But I am not going to try any extra sitting until I feel that the stimulator and healing are complete, Dr. Ross says that is about 3 months.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 10/23
Week 6 update:
10/23/2014
I have incorporated this into the posts above.
10/23/2014
I have incorporated this into the posts above.
Last edited by blightcp on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 10/23
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.
Ray
Ray
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 10/23
Thanks for the update Carl, you are doing well at this stage. As your doctor has told you it is important to restrict any possible migration by lifting or bending, your leads need a lot of time to embed and be fixed. I was told when I had my implantation that it would take 6 months and I was on a restricted lifting regime with no bending etc. I used a pickstick which helped a lot.
It is common to feel the stimulation a little less after the initial surgery, first of all your brain gets used to the sensation and so do the nerves; its ok to change the settings to get a more comfortable result. Bear in mind actually feeling the stimulation is not vital, even at a low rate I can get more relief than if I turn it up which irritates my nerve and negates the positive effect.
Have your doctors altered your programmes, it is normal to tweak things a little as you recover from the surgery.
Take each day at a time, I wrote a journal and it reminded me of what improvements I felt along the recovery process.
It is common to feel the stimulation a little less after the initial surgery, first of all your brain gets used to the sensation and so do the nerves; its ok to change the settings to get a more comfortable result. Bear in mind actually feeling the stimulation is not vital, even at a low rate I can get more relief than if I turn it up which irritates my nerve and negates the positive effect.
Have your doctors altered your programmes, it is normal to tweak things a little as you recover from the surgery.
Take each day at a time, I wrote a journal and it reminded me of what improvements I felt along the recovery process.
PNE started 2003 following Vaginal Hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and right oophorectomy; eventually after many tests had BilateralTG surgery Nantes 2004; following this tried many other treatments including 7 day epidural, ketamin infusions to no avail; Trialed and was implanted with a Neurostimulator in 2007- Dr Van Buyten Belgium, this has enabled me to manage my pain much better.
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 10/23
Carl, are you wishful thinking of having both the stimulator and the pump as you mentioned? That is not a realistic possibility, right.?
Amanda made a comment about keeping the stimulator turned down to allow a better effect..I will remember that when I am having my trial. .
Amanda made a comment about keeping the stimulator turned down to allow a better effect..I will remember that when I am having my trial. .
Surgery Jan.05 2011 TG with Dr Antalok. Dr.Chambi May of 2012 showed injury from a fall on back, 11 years ago. My piriformis muscle caused a large amount of fibrosis .My sciatic nerve was growing through the piriformis muscle which caused a bifid p.muscle. . Dr Chambi decompressed the sciatic,pudendal,pfcn ,and peroneal nerves. I hope to have a nuerostimulator put in to help with the sciatic pain that never goes away. Most days are better with the pudendal if I do not sit at all.
Re: Sacral Stimulator Implant for PN updated 10/23
My next door neighbor has both a stimulator and a pain pump. The stimulator worked only so much, so they added the pump after 18 months to help keep the pain down.
She just had her first pump replaced after 8 years. The stimulator a few years ago.
Dr. Ross has said that he has done both before. He told me that this was not "the end of the road" for treatment. There is more that can be done.
I am still in the learning curve with the stimulator, but chained to the pain meds is not fun, I have my phone programed for each does, if I miss one for a couple hours I am toast for the rest of the day. I would love to have the ability to set a dose schedule and forget about it. If it flares up I press a button and it administers the dose within minutes.
I am still on strict bed rest also, I have not been able to increase sitting, but driving has been easier with the implant. I am OK with being permanently disabled but I would like to be able to at least leave my bedroom and take a walk.
She just had her first pump replaced after 8 years. The stimulator a few years ago.
Dr. Ross has said that he has done both before. He told me that this was not "the end of the road" for treatment. There is more that can be done.
I am still in the learning curve with the stimulator, but chained to the pain meds is not fun, I have my phone programed for each does, if I miss one for a couple hours I am toast for the rest of the day. I would love to have the ability to set a dose schedule and forget about it. If it flares up I press a button and it administers the dose within minutes.
I am still on strict bed rest also, I have not been able to increase sitting, but driving has been easier with the implant. I am OK with being permanently disabled but I would like to be able to at least leave my bedroom and take a walk.
PN by sedentary job and commute
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross
Treated for IlioInguinal pain 2008-10
PT by Dr. Conway's team | 3 PN blocks @ Elliott in Manchester USA
TIR 2010 and TG by Dr. Conway in May of 2012 uncovered nerve damage, declared surgical failure in May of 2014
PT and bed rest continues
Employer refused accommodations in 8/13, now in the disability war.
Sacrial Stimulator 9/14 by Dr. Ross Boston MA
Anesthetic pain pump trial 3/16/15 by Dr. Ross