Re: The struggle is real
Posted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:31 am
Chase,
PGAD was caused by PNE. I had the TIR approach from Dr. Bautrant. It is described here: http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/23 I went to Bautrant in France because 11 years ago when I had surgery there weren't many US docs who were sparing the sacrotuberous ligament but Dr. Bautrant does. I had chronic sacroiliac ligament strain from weightlifting resulting in pelvic instability/misaglignment and I did not want to have the ST ligament cut and risk more instability. Now there are some docs in the US who use a modified transgluteal approach so if I had it to do now, I would probably stay in the US -- although, now that Dr. Hibner is no longer seeing men, there aren't as many choices for guys.
I had symptoms off and on for a year and a half before I was diagnosed and then surgery about 8 months after getting a diagnosis. I was diagnosed by a PT who specialized in pelvic pain and was knowledgeable about PNE. She pressed on the nerve and knew right away that it was pudendal neuralgia. My doctors at the time didn't have a clue.
From what I've heard, Dr. Jordan is very experienced at nerve blocks and has a good reputation but as with any invasive procedure such as nerve blocks or Botox injections, there are people who react badly to the medications used. I don't know if he does rectal exams to check the nerve.
I couldn't feel the pudendal nerve with a stretch. I'm not sure what you would feel if it's the genitofemoral nerve because I didn't experience that. You might find this article helpful.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11711938
Violet
PGAD was caused by PNE. I had the TIR approach from Dr. Bautrant. It is described here: http://www.pudendalhope.info/node/23 I went to Bautrant in France because 11 years ago when I had surgery there weren't many US docs who were sparing the sacrotuberous ligament but Dr. Bautrant does. I had chronic sacroiliac ligament strain from weightlifting resulting in pelvic instability/misaglignment and I did not want to have the ST ligament cut and risk more instability. Now there are some docs in the US who use a modified transgluteal approach so if I had it to do now, I would probably stay in the US -- although, now that Dr. Hibner is no longer seeing men, there aren't as many choices for guys.
I had symptoms off and on for a year and a half before I was diagnosed and then surgery about 8 months after getting a diagnosis. I was diagnosed by a PT who specialized in pelvic pain and was knowledgeable about PNE. She pressed on the nerve and knew right away that it was pudendal neuralgia. My doctors at the time didn't have a clue.
From what I've heard, Dr. Jordan is very experienced at nerve blocks and has a good reputation but as with any invasive procedure such as nerve blocks or Botox injections, there are people who react badly to the medications used. I don't know if he does rectal exams to check the nerve.
I couldn't feel the pudendal nerve with a stretch. I'm not sure what you would feel if it's the genitofemoral nerve because I didn't experience that. You might find this article helpful.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11711938
Violet